Archery Talk Forum banner

Spring turkey hunting - need advice.

558 Views 8 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  pew222
I've never gone turkey hunting before and I'll be going in spring. I know its early but I like to be ready far before hunting season comes.

How important is a call? Will just any call work fine, or is having a better call helpful?

I've heard that turkeys aren't afraid of things in trees. Is that true?

Thanks.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
69 Posts
I personally like a mouth call, keeps my hands free. Box calls are probably the easiest to learn on and slate calls are probably the most versatile. Its all about finding out what you like (the turkeys like 'em all). If you haven't been to the National Wild Turkey Federation site, check it out:

www.nwtf.org

Lots of good info there.

WARNING- Spring turkey hunting is extremely addicting!

Happy Hunting.

· Registered
276 Posts
I didnt get one my first time going but I had my chance. I alway enjoyed going in teams a caller and then a shooter. My dad is a excellent caller and guided me many times. If you have a chance to hunt like that I would recommend it. As far as turkeys not being afraid of things in trees. Ever see turkey's bow hunting. I'm sure they would spoke same as on the ground.

· Registered
25,353 Posts
calls r probally the most important thing. i use a primos mouth calls. my uncle uses a $10 primos slate call. and thats all he will use. he every year shoots 2 huge gigantic long beards. so im going to pick one of those up. and he says only call every 20 mins once a beard gets fired up. and this always works for him and me. so u dont have to go expensive. i would recommand this call. cheap, amazing and easy to use.

· Registered
2,313 Posts
Slate is probloy the easiest to learn or a box but the biggest thing is dont over call. sit and listen to the other birds and try to understand what theyre calls mean and when they use which vocalizations, so you can better understand when and when not to call. I ve had more newbies start to get a bird fired up only to loose hime by just keeping on calling just cause hell keep gobbling. The old saying absesce make the heart grow fonder applies here.
less is deff. more , give him alittle then make him want it. Youll see alot mor birds . and trees ,ground, flying over head if you can see him youd better not move a muscle, or youll be busted. good luck they can be addictive!

· Registered
261 Posts
pick up a few diaphragm calls, easiest to use when a turkey is nearby and totally hands free, but are hard to master...just pop it in your mouth on your way to work and practice...find a blind and you should be ok, treestand may work, but its definately an easy way to get busted since turkeys have close to a 360 view of everything around them...

· Registered
748 Posts
I would agree that you can and will kill plenty of birds without spending a fortune. Many people just choose to buy custom calls. Another good website to check out is www.turkeyhuntingsecrets.com

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.