Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to hear from those who have spent a decent amount of time shooing both the Spyder 30 and the Spyder turbo. I am looking to buy a new bow and these are the two Hoyts i am considering. I have shot the 30 but the shop i have available does not have a turbo. I will use this bow for hunting and also for targets in the back yard. I like the shorter package and lighter weight of the 30 for toting through the woods plus it has a little bit more BH. does the added ATA and speed of the turbo more of an advantage? like i said i'd like to hear from people who have spent a decent amount of time shooting both. Thanks...

·
Registered
6,482 Posts
Shorter ATA bows are faster than longer ATA bows so with the shorter ATA of the Spyder 30 the speed is closer than you think more like only 5-7fps difference. The Spyder 30 also uses a larger cam at the same draw length than the Spyder Turbo does so the 30 will be a little bit easier on the draw even though longer ATA's have a tendency to be smoother the larger cam of the 30 negates that. Both are good choices and they are so close in performance it really comes down to do you want a shorter ATA or a longer one.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Like bornagain said, the speed difference will barely be enough to notice. After I built strings for my Spyder 30 and put speed nocks in the right location(removing the plethora of nocks that Hoyt installed on stock strings) it was only shooting 4fps slower than a stock Turbo, at the same shop, same arrow through the same chrono, and yes the Turbo was tuned in the same manner as the Spyder 30. If the 30 still isnt fast enough for you just wrap it up a little bit, its easy to get 73-74 lbs out of a Hoyt.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the replies. i think i am going to go for the 30. i just like the smaller lighter package when for packing, stand hunting, blind hunting, etc.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I bought both, as I couldn't decide...With that said, after playing with them for a couple months I kept the Turbo and got rid of the 30. I just don't like the string angle on bows shorter than 32 A to A. I liked the 30 just fine, but preferred the longer A to A of the Turbo.

·
Registered
5,148 Posts
I'd like to hear from those who have spent a decent amount of time shooing both the Spyder 30 and the Spyder turbo. I am looking to buy a new bow and these are the two Hoyts i am considering. I have shot the 30 but the shop i have available does not have a turbo. I will use this bow for hunting and also for targets in the back yard. I like the shorter package and lighter weight of the 30 for toting through the woods plus it has a little bit more BH. does the added ATA and speed of the turbo more of an advantage? like i said i'd like to hear from people who have spent a decent amount of time shooting both. Thanks...
I've shot them both and went with the turbo , I like the longer ata there both very nice my turbo is smokin fast in the 30 inch slot ! The 30 will make a great hunting bow ! You can't go wrong with either !

1 - 6 of 6 Posts