Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
62# 29.5" epic 400 29" DL (3) 4" straight vanes
100 gr fld pts. good flight out to 40 yrds.
@ 35yrds a little fish tail can be seen.
put on my muzzy 3 blade practice points and 10 yrds 1" low 1"right . @ 20 yrds 4"low 4" right w/ swirling arrow flight. easton chart claims I should be shooting 340's
two local pro shops claim 400's ,someone help
ASAP
kirk

·
Registered
639 Posts
I used to shoot a SQ2 with Goldtip 5575. With 3 fletch with offset. No problems with flight. I used to use quickspins until i found my new favorite, blazers.

I would try some offset with your arrows to shoot those muzzys. Also maybe recheck the tune of the bow. Try some different setups of arrows to see what may work better.

It could just be that you may need to move your nock down and your rest out a touch.

Are you possibly having contact with the arrows on the rest,riser? It could be a variety of things or something simple.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well this is my first compound bow and I bought it used. I have zero idea what the hell is going on with it.6 years shooting a longbow is now showing. I can adjust a brace or nock and fix any troubles I might have as long as the spine is right or at least close.
I do not hear or feel any contact w/riser or anything else. the arrows just drop and go right.

this bow will be posted for sale or trade.
kirk

·
Registered
272 Posts
Dont give up so quickly! What kind of rest are you using? If you can take an inch and a half your arrow it will stiffin it up closer to your needs. If you are getting any fish tail at all with field points then your broadheads will not fly. Try adjusting your rest to elliminate the fish tail, then make sure your broadheads spin true to the arrow shaft and make sure the arrows are also straight, the last SQ i tuned for a customer had a similar problem and turned out to be the arrow shaft not as straight as it should be. Shooting at the speeds the bows are putting out makes it harder to get full size heads to fly. You can also try a compact head like the NAP crossfire or nitron or the sonic by american broadhead co. Good Luck!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought the best part of carbon was how straight it was?
all these "tuning the rest" tips are great but I do not know what it means!?!
I can try 29" w/ B-heads.
I will not use Mac. B-heads.

kirk

·
Registered
272 Posts
What rest are you using? Does it have micro adjusting? does it have marks so you can see how much you move it? If so try moving it 1/16" at a time to the left and resight to see if it eliminates your fishtailing. do this in both directions
intil you have perfect arrow flight. If you can't get perfect flight, get some foot powder spray and spray the rest, if you have vane or feather contact it will rub the powder off at the point of contact. A compact head is not a mechanical head, just a smaller fixed blade head. they work great at speed above 270 fps. Straightness on the epic shafts are +/- .005, that means the shaft could be .010 out. Personally i stick with shafts that are no more than +/- .003, thats .006 t.i.r.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts