Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They make a tool to square arrow shaft. So what about a tool to square nock and insert. I have seen inserts that wasn't square.

·
Registered
21,689 Posts
Here’s what I made.
52E67C1D-EA38-44AA-A33F-0F10B0B90841.jpeg

Seems to do a good job of squaring the shafts and inserts.

But I’m not sure I understand how to use it. Lol.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes i have the G 5 for squaring arrow ends. I was talking about the back side of insert and nock. I do have a lathe to square them but thought it would be nice to have a tool made for back of insert and front of nock.

·
Registered
21,689 Posts
I made these lol. I haven’t finished the bottom one yet. I need to bed in in a insert while holding it square. But the top one works great.
197FCC4D-5E6B-4F39-8A3C-01AFC07DC8CD.jpeg

·
Anti Fanboy
42,158 Posts
I use a Firenock APS. You can put any grit self-adhesive sandpaper you like on it. It will square shafts and inserts.

Used to own a G5 Squaring tool and hated it.

I wouldn't know how to square a nock.

Attachments

·
Registered
21,689 Posts
If i remember ill do some testing on this after it warms up some. Ill take a shaft thats shooting good. And shoot a group. Then screw the face of the shaft up. Install the insert and see if it changes poi or accuracy.

Part of me thinks the squaring comes from the part that inserts into the shaft. It will be interesting to see anyway. If i can understand what im doing LOL.

·
Anti Fanboy
42,158 Posts
If i remember ill do some testing on this after it warms up some. Ill take a shaft thats shooting good. And shoot a group. Then screw the face of the shaft up. Install the insert and see if it changes poi or accuracy.

Part of me thinks the squaring comes from the part that inserts into the shaft. It will be interesting to see anyway. If i can understand what im doing LOL.
My guess is for most practical hunting distances it won't make one iota difference with a field point or a mech broad head, as long as it spins true.

Maybe on a 100 yard competition shot it could make a difference.

·
Registered
21,689 Posts
My guess is for most practical hunting distances it won't make one iota difference with a field point or a mech broad head, as long as it spins true.

Maybe on a 100 yard competition shot it could make a difference.
Probably right.

·
Bringer of truth
14,829 Posts
I TOSSED MY G5 IN THE TRASH. I hated it too. With brass in serts the fire nock squaring tool takes some time to use but is a must own i.m.o

Yes it makes a huge difference especially with a fast bow. Folks hate when i say that but you can almost get anything to work on a slower bow...even some junk arrows proof is....

Bow packages been including arrows in the deal for years and most folks think they are plenty good enough.

I re grind and grind again the inserts on all my arrows that take a broad head. I keep going till i get the perfect spin on my hand, eventually i pull the insert if i can not achieve the perfect spin with
broad head.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I made this use for shafts. For inserts I use the G5 or a modified sandblock attached to my Arizona arrow straightener.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Huntoholic
10,666 Posts

Just be careful not to spend to much time in the club before ya do it, if you do stick with the club's soda, that way ya won't get yer ball's all riled up and it will let ya think clearer, and ya might try doing it in the dark and use a lazer so you can see it a little clearer,,,, :wink:

Now to question at hand, made mine like Joe's but I don't worry about how square the stone sets up at when epoxied to the insert, even if it is at a 45* angle to the insert, it will only cut material from the shaft in one spot on the stone, but when done the face has to be square to the center of the shaft, I call it my dummy square, even a blind man can get em perfect using this. I don't even use my old store bought bohning tool anymore, I don't even know where it is.

·
Registered
21,689 Posts
Just be careful not to spend to much time in the club before ya do it, if you do stick with the club's soda, that way ya won't get yer ball's all riled up and it will let ya think clearer, and ya might try doing it in the dark and use a lazer so you can see it a little clearer,,,, :wink:
I think im going to give golf up. I dont think im ready to understand it yet.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts