Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you guys use squirrels as like an alarm to when a deer is coming like when they start barking. I have noticed there are many times when they have done this that a deer comes from that direction just shortly after they get through barking and their little errrrrrrraaaaaaatt thing the grey squirrles do.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have many times been out sneakin along and will hear a squirell bark and look over and see a deer. i do use the squirells barking for finding deer. it is definetly not a science but i have seen many deer in an area where squirells where barking.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ttt

·
Registered
462 Posts
IT IS ALSO A WAY TO FIND YOUR DOWNED DEER. WHEN I SHOT MY LAST ONE ONE WAS 5 FEET IN A TREE BARKING LIKE CRAZY AT MY DEAD BUCK. THATS HOW I NEW HE WAS DEAD.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Usually it's me they're barking at. Twice I sat under a tree and right at day break the squirrels came down pitching a fit. Didn't see any deer either moring!!

·
Registered
17,864 Posts
I've never had squirrels bark at deer so while I do pay attention to them for something to do, I don't have much hope in it being a deer (although there is some hope).

I have learned that even when I know that thing rustling in the leaves is a squirrel that I should check it every 5 minutes or so. I've had a lot of known squirrels "turn into deer".
I walked by one stalking once, I heard it hit the trail behind me. I turned to see it and it was a deer.

·
Bowhunter
5,202 Posts
Amazing - I had a squirrel turn into a deer just this morning! And later a deer turned into a fox. Glad to know I'm not the only one nature is having some fun with!!:D

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
squirrels

I've been waiting for squirrels to notify me that I deer is coming. Lately they've made me think that deer noise is squirrels. I've decided to start packing an arrow with a blunt to elminate some of the confusion. Seriously, I don't plan on targeting squirrels, but every season I've hunted I can remember some slam dunk opportunities that squirrels have offered. I've decided to no longer let them harass me.

I wonder if the inverse of your question is true? Do deer notice when squirrels are barking at us? Because I've had those squirrels come within ten yards and really let me know what they're thinking.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Tree Rats..mmmm good!

Spitfire broadheads work great on Tree Rats. A couple of weeks ago, I whacked one at 15 yards that was perched on a blow-down limb barking at me. Damn-near cut him in half. I found the arrow, and the broadhead had lost a blade.
I stuck it back in my quiver and started walking towards the truck, and spotted another squirrel hanging off the side of a tree at 35 yards and about 12 feet up. WHACK. Even with only 2 blades, he never knew what hit him.
Never did find the arrow after that.
I don't shoot deer with mechanical heads (relax Tink), but I always keep one in my quiver for Tree Rats or Turkeys.

slinger

·
Registered
514 Posts
I have notice when squirrels start to bark there is something around, half the time its nothing but the other half of the time it has filled a tag.
The squirrel tread did remind me of my weekend hunt. I shot two of them and had them sitting about 15 yards from my stand on saturday afternoon( dead siiting on the path out from my stand). When i heard something moving behind me(where the squirrels were) I thought one of them was not quite dead yet, so i peeked over my shoulder to see. It was a red fox passing threw about 10 yards form the dead squirrels when all of the sudden he got wind of them, slowly walked up to them and snagged one, easy dinner for him. As he picked one up i stood up to scare him off, fox season doesn't open til wednessday here. So next weekend I'll do the same thing and hopefully bag me a nice red fox for a full mount to go in my hunting room :D

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Yep I do...........BlueJays will also help in findind a downed deer....;)

You should have heard the tree rats the other day when a hawk came cruising by.........:eek:

·
Registered
10,964 Posts
squirrels

I guess I learned something today:) I never knew this about squirrels:D

·
Registered
78 Posts
This may sound silly but when I see squirrels moving, I typically see deer. Maybe it's just a mental thing. I hunt mostly in hard woods and these little critters chasing each other through the leaves sure can get the old ticker pumping.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I like it when squirrels don't know I'm around. They will tell you when something is coming. Sometimes when they run up a tree, they'll run up the opposite side of the intruder.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, I have also noticed if the suirrels are out scurrying around i usually see some deer. Along with them little guys barking evry once in awhile to really make me watch for that big buck!!!!!

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
A friend of mine mentioned that to me a couple of weeks ago. Since then, I have been paying attention to squirels barking...A couple of days ago while in my stand they started barking and it turned out to be about six turkeys passing by within about 60 yards of me. So, yeah, when they start barking I don't get all excited, but I do pay attention and hope...

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, the other night the started barking turned to see what it was surprized i didnt see anything got to looking hard at there was about 15 quail 20 yards from me scurrying around on the timber floor.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts