Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well... got my Allegiance back from the shop and it's FINALLY shooting bullet holes. However... it's now slow as dirt (compared to the birth certificate). The BC on it was 313 fps (29" draw, 70.3 lbs)....... I chrono'd it yesterday and it's shooting a 350 grain arrow at 304 fps. :mad: All I had on the string was a loop.... no nock button, no peep, no string leeches... (I use an STS).... nothing.

Couple of things I noticed.... the new strings from Bowtech do not have speed ball/buttons like the original strings did, why is this and would I be losing speed b/c of it. Also, the measurements are now 33-7/8" axle to axle. Brace height is 6-7/8".

I want my speed back! To make matters worse, another guy was in the shop yesterday with his 29" 70 lb. allegiance (set up almost identical to mine) and his chrono'd at like 318 fps. I didn't pay over $750 for the slowest Allegiance ever made! :mad:

-ZA206

-ZA206

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
How tight are your nocks fitting in your d-loop? maybe getting a little nock pinch slowing you down a bit? That does sound strange.......just trying to help you figure out where all your fps went.....

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
ZA206 - so you finally broke down and got you a bow. Good Job!!! Is the bow in spec with those measurements? Where did you get the bow from? The reason I ask about the specs is that my switchback is sensitive to coming out of spec and losing FPS and the switchback and alliegience are pretty similar framed bows.

Matt

·
NC ASA Director
36,124 Posts
Send it to Crackers.

He can get those precious few fps back and more! :thumbs_up

·
Registered
19,453 Posts
za206 said:
Well... got my Allegiance back from the shop and it's FINALLY shooting bullet holes. However... it's now slow as dirt (compared to the birth certificate). The BC on it was 313 fps (29" draw, 70.3 lbs)....... I chrono'd it yesterday and it's shooting a 350 grain arrow at 304 fps. :mad: All I had on the string was a loop.... no nock button, no peep, no string leeches... (I use an STS).... nothing.

Couple of things I noticed.... the new strings from Bowtech do not have speed ball/buttons like the original strings did, why is this and would I be losing speed b/c of it. Also, the measurements are now 33-7/8" axle to axle. Brace height is 6-7/8".

I want my speed back! To make matters worse, another guy was in the shop yesterday with his 29" 70 lb. allegiance (set up almost identical to mine) and his chrono'd at like 318 fps. I didn't pay over $750 for the slowest Allegiance ever made! :mad:

-ZA206

-ZA206
Brutha Z.......the way your luck has been lately......I wouldnt touch that bow for all the money in the world. ;) :D :D

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
you might want to make sure the crono is correct. also the bow needs to be set at 80%. did your shop tinker with the bow at all? did they set it up for you? :smile:

·
Registered
9,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yes...

The draw stop is set to 80%. It is drawing 70 lbs. and holding 80%... verfied by the tech ([email protected]).

I hate to sound like a damn nit-picker, but the speed thing started irking me on the way home from the shop last night. Why SHOULD I be satisfied with the bow when it shoots 10 fps slower than it's BC.... especially when I paid over $750 for it? Now, I have new limbs and new strings on it... I guess the issue is somewhere in there....

I might go the the local Mathews/Hoyt shop with it tomorrow and double check the speed through their chrono (they are only about 15 minutes from my house).

-ZA206

·
Registered
23 Posts
Speed nocks

If the speed nocks are not near the cam than that is the problem. We had an allegiance in the shot with different strings and no speed nocks 10 fps too slow. added them on and it went right back to where it should have been. I hope this helps

·
Registered
9,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yup!

No speed nocks.... I'm gonna put some on today after work! Wonder where I can get shrink tubing...???

-ZA206

mindboggling said:
If the speed nocks are not near the cam than that is the problem. We had an allegiance in the shot with different strings and no speed nocks 10 fps too slow. added them on and it went right back to where it should have been. I hope this helps

·
Registered
9,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I did it myself!

Got the speed nocks on last night (picked up the shrink tubing at Home Depot). Didn't get a chance to shoot it, but it looks good, looks identical to the original string.

If I can make the shoot on the 27th, we'll put her through the chrono and see what difference it makes. One guy on one of the posts said the speed nocks are good for 10 fps on the Allegiance. :D That should put me right where I was from the get go! I'm gonna try to have it shot in and sighted in and will let you know how it's going.

BTW, you might want to start putting those on for some of your customers that get replacement strings for their Bowtechs, seeing as how Bowtech won't put them on for you. Would be a nice touch!

-Patrick

·
NC ASA Director
36,124 Posts
You should actually test with different amounts of nocks and slide them up and down the string to find the optimal location and weight to get the best results.

Usually 2 to 3 fps is gained.

Most don't see it as worth it now when you could just crank it up a pound and get the same effect.

The Switchbacks didn't even come from the factory with them this year.

·
Registered
9,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The original string had two brass nocks side by side on the string top and bottom and each was shrink wrapped with about 3/4" of wrap. I was reall anal and measured everything last night. Let's hope it works out.

BTW, I can't turn the poundage up... it's maxed already. I can tweak the strings/cables to get the pre-load a little higher (poundage), but that's about it.

Thanks for your help.

-Za206

sagecreek said:
You should actually test with different amounts of nocks and slide them up and down the string to find the optimal location and weight to get the best results.

Usually 2 to 3 fps is gained.

Most don't see it as worth it now when you could just crank it up a pound and get the same effect.

The Switchbacks didn't even come from the factory with them this year.

·
NC ASA Director
36,124 Posts
No problem.

I hope you regain your speed loss.

Let us know how it comes out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.