Archery Talk Forum banner

SS34/CP30/Omnia/Phase4 today

13K views 63 replies 31 participants last post by  MELLY-MEL 
#1 ·
Scratched an early ‘23 model itch this morning. Shot each bow at 60-61lbs except for the Omnia was 63. All set at 28.5”. Loop and rest only.
Tried to keep an open mind, but an earlier post about the Phase 4 today said it best about preconceived notions.

The SS34 was simply too long for my liking. Reminiscent of the Mathews 33. Even is Comfort setting, I did not care for the draw, it just felt weird to me.

The CP30 was very nice all the way around. Well balanced, super smooth draw cycle, quiet at the shot with just a bit of post shot vibration.

Omnia was a big no based upon draw cycle. It was using the Performance mods and I did not like the draw cycle at all. The grip is sweet in typical Elite fashion.

P4 was last. The bow was decked out with all of the latest hardware. It is a sweetheart of a bow. Surprised me just how much I liked it. I have no fresh memories to make a comparison to the V3X29. The bow possesses all of the typical Mathews characteristics talked about here enough. The equipped bow balanced and held very nicely, like crazy good. I’m not a back bar user, but if I buy a P4-29 I will be.

My top picks for today were the CP30 and P4-29. The pics show how close they are in overall length, the Mathews having a slightly longer riser

Waiting now on Prime.

I did not shoot any carbon bows. After 3 seasons with a Mach 1, I’m moving away from them for no reason but simply wanting a change.
Hand Watch Dress Finger Black hair
Automotive design Wall Art Motor vehicle Machine
Wood Font Art Wall Metal
Wood Art Electrical wiring Gas Font

See less See more
#2 ·
I realize there is a whole lot of Mathews hatred on this site. As my time and experience has grown here on AT, I find there are less like minded individuals not looking to get the last/best laugh or possessing a negative/bitter towards anything and everything they don’t subscribe to.

I don’t shoot a Mathews. I will say they are IMO the most squared away archery company in the business, just a well rounded organization.

I have zero worries about rubber things prematurely wearing etc. Mathews stands behind their stuff, plain and simple.

And most importantly to me and should be to you, the only opinion that truly matters is mine.

#5 ·
There is no doubt we (including me) have had some complaints. But mine have not been with the product but the marketing there of. As far as the Phase 4, its a fantastic bow and I do like the integrated system Mathews is doing and thats why I bought in to the V3X. This would be a great upgrade to someone that wants to update to the complete bridge lock system. The Bowtech I have not shot yet and really have no interest in this bow. But I do want to shoot the Carbon One. I hope you find the right bow for you.

#9 ·
How was the wait at LAS today? It amazes me how long it usually is no matter when you go.

I've tried to love Elite over the years but I've never cared for the draw cycle on any of their bows.

• Haha
Reactions: dnv23
#10 ·
It is!

I fully expected the 34 to draw nicer than the 30 wasn’t the case for me. The sheer size of the 34 was a no go for me.
I had a Enkore for a while this year. Arguably one of the finest aluminum bows made. That ship sailed no real interest in another Elite.
The Mach 34 was unavailable and I’m not buying another carbon bow this time. Not finance driven just need a change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#18 · (Edited)
His conclusion (as cited) was based entirely in the draw cycle. Point is that it’s a very different experience with the smooth mods, not that he would have necessarily favored the bow over the others. But when anyone concludes the Mathews is great they are ignoring a suboptimal draw cycle vs other options - including the Omnia with smooth mods.

#15 ·
Mr. O- there was no wait. Walked right in. I was the only one on the “range” when it came time to try them all.
There May have been a half dozen customers when I left. It was perfect timing. And while over a hour, it’s a pleasant drive.

To comment further on the SS34. It was smooth and easy throughout. As I said, for me, it just felt weird. At 28.5 (for consistency as Mathews is typically long) it felt like I was drawing way to much draw length. That and the ATA made it a no go.
Sky Plant Wheel Plant community Horse

#25 ·
Hoyt patrol on suicide watch right now.

Honestly OP go shoot the Omnia with comforts and more holding weight. I felt the same way as you with performance mods at 90% letoff. I haven’t went back to shoot it because I don’t want to buy another bow. That and the fact that I wouldn’t be caught dead missing deer with anything other than a Mathews.

#26 ·
I have a V3x 33. I love it. It is my first Mathews since 2008. Every time I pick it up, I am amazed at the quality and attention to detail. The bow is just freaking nice, period. I like a LOT of brands…I do. The things that made me go with Mathews this year were these: The way the company backs it customers, and you can literally get ANY part, for ANY bow, they have EVER MADE. That was a huge factor for me. They make a very high quality bow. Many people cry about the switch weight mods, I freaking love them. I have played around with different weights, draw lengths, and even let off in this bow. Not to mention when I bought it, the dude must have had his head in the clouds, because I asked for a 28.5, and he gave me a 29.5. So that alone would have been a way bigger issue, and a harder fix had it been dedicated DL specific cam. I like the different advancements on their bows. The SAS is pretty sweet, I liked that. The bow is silly quiet, and vibe free. The bow is decently fast for what it is…no barn burner, but plenty enough for what I need the bow to do. I like the integrated accessories, the biggest for me is the sight mount , it is awesome. The way the center guard cable guide has the cables at the very center is also a bonus, and if you look at the bow at rest, from the side…the cables are not full of torque or lateral pressure. I love the way the bow draws and settles on target. I love the way the bow feels and behaves at the shot. Another thing I almost NEVER hear people talk about, is how slow and smooth I can let down at full draw, and that is HUUUGE in a hunting bow for me. I hunt big Ohio white tails, and white tails can be super wary…so if I can not hold at FD any more, it is nice to be able to let down slowly, and quietly without a quick, jerky let down. I do think they are a bit greedy with the new stab system…$700 for front and back bars, with a mount is just plain stupid, and $20 per extra weight, they could sell those for HALF that, and still make a good profit. They are a bit proud of their stuff, which is okay…but they have crossed the line on the stabs in my opinion. I also love Matt, and what he stands for, and what he has done for the archery community. Yes, they do get a lot of hate, but that’s just how people are…for some reason, fanboys will crap on what ever they don’t choose, because their lack of intelligence doesn’t allow them to accept the fact that there is a LOT of great stuff on the market, and people should be able to like what they want. Mathews is a great company, that makes great products, and backs their customers…that with everything I already mentioned, is why I chose them this year. I see issues and things I don’t like…but that is with EVERY company on the planet. Mathews is a great company, period.

#32 ·
Thanks for the time on the write up. That's why I love this sight. The difference of opinion. A ton of what makes a good bow to the INDIVIDUAL is super subjective. People on here get so upset when someone says they don't like their personal bow of choice, and there is no need for it!

It turns out I actually shot the Phase 4 33, SS34, and Carbon one head to head today for comparison too! I am a PSE, (I'm currently shooting a Mach 34 , elite Omnia,and a Darton Spectre e 32) Darton, Elite, and Athens dealer, but we don't carry those other brands because the area is dealer protected so I have to go to another shop to shoot the new bows. Unlike you, I prefer 33"-35" bows. I didn't even ask to shoot the CP30, because it isn't my cup of tea. I only **** the Carbon one to see how bowtech did this year .

Personally, I thought the phase 4 33 was the smoothest of all felt great, and held excellent at full draw. Mathews quiet of course, and I'd have to agree with you and others that Mathews may be the best all around, squared away company on the market today. I really am impressed with their total shooting systems and the company as a whole.

The Carbon one just didn't do it for me. I shoot bows in performance, never in comfort. To me, there are plenty of easy drawing, smooth, slower bows on the market that I don't need to shoot them in comfort. I want to see what they feel like in performance. Same with the Omnia, no point in shooting a speed bow with smooth mods, just buy a slower bow then. That bow was built for speed, so shoot it as such. If it's too much, then drop your draw weight (can't wait for the comments on this). For a short ATA bow though, it held on target great and felt pretty good at full draw, but again, I prefer later nger ATA bows.

The SS 34 (in performance) was my favorite of the day. Loved the feel, and how it pointed. A small stack on the back end, but definitely not like bowtechs in performance of the past. It just fit me I think. I'd even put it head to head with my Mach 34.

Like I said, it's awesome to see how different everyone is in what they like in a bow. That ks again for taking the time to post your findings.

#35 ·
Thanks for the time on the write up. That's why I love this sight. The difference of opinion. A ton of what makes a good bow to the INDIVIDUAL is super subjective. People on here get so upset when someone says they don't like their personal bow of choice, and there is no need for it!

It turns out I actually shot the Phase 4 33, SS34, and Carbon one head to head today for comparison too! I am a PSE, (I'm currently shooting a Mach 34 , elite Omnia,and a Darton Spectre e 32) Darton, Elite, and Athens dealer, but we don't carry those other brands because the area is dealer protected so I have to go to another shop to shoot the new bows. Unlike you, I prefer 33"-35" bows. I didn't even ask to shoot the CP30, because it isn't my cup of tea. I only **** the Carbon one to see how bowtech did this year .

Personally, I thought the phase 4 33 was the smoothest of all felt great, and held excellent at full draw. Mathews quiet of course, and I'd have to agree with you and others that Mathews may be the best all around, squared away company on the market today. I really am impressed with their total shooting systems and the company as a whole.

The Carbon one just didn't do it for me. I shoot bows in performance, never in comfort. To me, there are plenty of easy drawing, smooth, slower bows on the market that I don't need to shoot them in comfort. I want to see what they feel like in performance. Same with the Omnia, no point in shooting a speed bow with smooth mods, just buy a slower bow then. That bow was built for speed, so shoot it as such. If it's too much, then drop your draw weight (can't wait for the comments on this). For a short ATA bow though, it held on target great and felt pretty good at full draw, but again, I prefer later nger ATA bows.

The SS 34 (in performance) was my favorite of the day. Loved the feel, and how it pointed. A small stack on the back end, but definitely not like bowtechs in performance of the past. It just fit me I think. I'd even put it head to head with my Mach 34.

Like I said, it's awesome to see how different everyone is in what they like in a bow. That ks again for taking the time to post your findings.
Not hating on BT but I’m wondering if they shouldn’t drop the flip mod altogether. Everyone that I know that bought BT flipped theirs to smooth and left them there.

#33 ·
Thanks Matt! Good review. I left Hoyt and went all in with Mathews last year with the V3X33 and 29 due to the absolute crap-show at a dealer over the crazy centershot and shimming of the RX-7. I have been extremely happy with the Mathews bows and company in general. I also picked up a beautiful Triax to play with. They all tuned perfectly down the center with a simple tophat adjustment and I love the V3X draw cycle with 80% let off! It looks like I may be adding a P4 29 with all the fixins to my collection very soon! Happy shooting! [emoji6]

NC

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

#59 ·
Great write-up. I always find it amazing how different people have very different perceptions of the same bows. This is why we need to keep supporting all the companies and not ****ting on the stuff we don't personally like. Variety and choices so everyone can find what is right for them.
That was my thinking as well.

The Omnia on performance at 65# and #62 @ 28" was incredibly smooth straight back to me. Maybe a touch stiff at first but no humpty dumpty at all. I cannot imagine what it feels like on smooth and I probably won't be buying the mod to find out. The grip just feels amazing, and overall length is about perfect to me so I'm sold.

I never shot the new mathews this year because I disliked the v3xs draw cycle. Awesome bow but for the lackluster speeds it produces I felt the draw cycle should have been considerably better.

#41 ·
Excuse my drawing skills. The graph is in the numbers though. No humps. It’s identical to the original cross centric cam. Holds peak weight just over an inch longer that’s it. The bulk of the draw cycle is right through the middle of the cycle. Not at the back end.

Attachments

#45 ·
Seen it a bunch of times - very aware of it. The original cross centric wasn’t a great draw cycle to begin with but they clearly made it worse with the SW. A full inch of 70#s of pressure at that late stage of the cycle relative to your body function and relative strength throughout the cycle is HUGE! Makes a massive difference in feel and impact to your body.

#46 ·
That Bowtech ss34 is the smoothest draw there is at 28” nothing else compared. Also it holds its speed and retains more speed with a 600 grain arrow through chrono better than any of the other bows at 28” so far. Only other bow that come close to retaining its speed with heavier arrows is the PSE omen and the Mach 34 with S2 cam.

#51 · (Edited)
My concern with the phase 4 is the rubber between the limbs. I’m interested to see how the rubber reacts in 90 degree heat vs how it reacts in -6 degree cold after sitting for 6 hours. There’s no question the rubber isn’t going o react the same in both conditions. Whether that is going to affect the performance will be up for grabs. There’s a lot of limb tip movement In these bows through the cycle That’s obviously how they change the peak weight with mods is by bending the limbs more or less etc..

the first argument is going to be “I’m sure Mathews has tested this” and I’d like to believe so but when I brought it to their attention they needed another tophat set allowing you to place the cam in the center of the limbs their response was that “I’m to picky and to detailed in my tuning process” and that may be true but it just shows they don’t always pay attention to the finest details and their acceptable range is not the same as mine.

sounds like a good excuse to buy one and test it for myself 🤷‍♂️

#60 ·
Good for you for checking em all out! I’ll keep your impressions in mind when I make my decision! I’ve been shooting Mathews since the triax and never even shot a Hoyt before, and I believe it’s time I get my hands on a ventum, pro or whatever the heck the new ones called. My local shops sells more prime bows than any other and am waiting on their release as well. I have so many bows now, it’s the last thing in need. Definitely wanna get my hands on the new
Hoyt tho, and that bear execute 32.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.