Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am very new to bow hunting and last season I lost my only deer I have ever taken a shot at. I hit him a little further back than I wanted, but he ran off with my arrow stuck in his rib cage and the blood trail went cold after 70 yards. I am sure there are several contributing factors to why the deer didn't drop, but I have lost confidence in the rage 2-blade chisel tip that I used. I understand that countless others have luck with this broadhead, but if no other reason than my mental game I want to switch to a fixed broadhead and so far these are my two top choices. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
51,147 Posts
Your loss was not due to the broadhead! It was due to shot placement. A different broadhead would not have changed the out come.

·
Banned
2,099 Posts
My friend, it’s something we all dread and something none of us want to happen. However anyone who has Bow hunted long enough if they are honest has lost a deer.

I started out using fixed broad heads, I like slick tricks my self and have killed a pile of deer with slick trick 100 grain magnums. They make a little noise in flight but not one deer has ever complained about it.

In 2014 I lost the largest whitetail buck I have ever shot, he was broadside at 17 yards when I drew on him, as I came down on him and was settled in he turned and looked right at me, I panicked and shot low knowing he was going to duck the string, as he ducked I released the arrow which hit him high above the shoulder cup (shoulder blade) I was shooting a Swhacker broad head. It was not the broad heads fault however I lost all confidence in the broad head, so I know how you feel and understand what you are saying. Having confidence in what you are shooting makes a world of difference.

Any of the 2 fixed blades you mentioned will do the job. I say buy a pack of both if you can and just go out and practice with them. Then buy another new pack of whichever ones you like and go hunting. God bless!

·
Lou & Jode
10,835 Posts
Bigger cutting broadheads help with marginal hits, your marginal hit on that deer probably was a fatal one (liver/gut), and maybe if you would of backed out of the woods quietly in the opposite direction of where he ran then came back in 6 hours you would have recovered him. Even with the best large cutting deep penetrating broadhead you would of still needed to give that deer time.

·
Registered
10,953 Posts
Yes shot placement is key. Shot quite a few deer with the trocar head. I also got tired trying to replace blades with that damn set screw.
Picked up some viper tricks a month ago. They fly so much better, will be in my quiver this fall!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
Cant go wrong with a slick trick or Vipertrick. I have killed more deer and never lost a deer with the old Thunderheads. Its been around 20+ years so it's not the popular latest head but very tried and true. Madsive blood trail a blind man could follow.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
The Impartial Archer
18,798 Posts
Like others have said it was probably the shot placement that was the issue. Honestly the Rage with the bigger cut would have helped with a gut shot if anything.

That said they do rob you of penetration and a bottom low exit "may" have gave you a better blood trail. Honestly we could play the what if game for days and without finding the deer all you can do is guess. That said IMO you can never go wrong with a broad head that penetrates better. When the going gets tough more penetration is never a bad thing.

You have seen what many of us have......people here don't like to admit it but more than not when us average Joe's shoot deer with a Rage and a light arrow they hang out the deer as they run off. A Viper Trick (and countless other fixed heads) will cure that.....again on a gut shoot it's a moot point but on hard impacts and bone many times that low exit is a live saver for any bowhunter.

The best analogy is broad heads are like tires. They aren't universally good for every intended purpose. If you have a drag car, mud truck, sports car or all terrain vehicle, or a semi truck the right tires unlock it's full potential. Bowhunters are no different and the spec's for each bowhunter vary so if you pick the right head it will unlock all your bows potential as well.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I haven’t shot the trocar but I recently got into slick tricks and they fly great and have a great reputation. I would bet a fixed head would have given you a pass through but who knows if that would have made the difference. That’s just hunting. Sometimes the worst shots in legs or wherever result in quick clean kills. Then theres the “shot was perfect with no blood”

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'm with you on the mental part. I few years ago I was using the exact head - Rage 2 blade with the chisel tip. Marginal hit and didn't find the deer. I believe if I was using a different broad head, the results may have been different. I've had good results with other Rage heads, but not that one. If you have good shot placement, any broad head will work. It's the marginal hits where the type of broad head may make a difference. I have heard great reviews on the Slick Trick heads. I'm planning on trying the ST Wicked Trick heads this year.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Agree give deer plenty of time if you don't see him fall. Much easier to track a dead dead. I give a standard hour if I don't see him fall. More if a marginal shot and you usually find em

·
Registered
130 Posts
To answer your direct question, I’ve used vipertricks for two years, far more accurate than any fixed blade I’ve tested and have zipped through two elk easily with short recovery. However, I’d buy a pack of both and see what shoots best for your setup.

Your indirect question: how much do you pull / draw length? The vipertrick is the smallest head in the ST lineup, which makes it the most accurate and good for pass throughs on big animals like elk. If you have a moderate to light draw, it would be good for deer. If you’re pulling 60-70 at an average draw length and decent arrow weight, I’d probably go with a standard or grizztrick.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all for the responses and information. Like I said, there was a long list of things I could have done better and I am sure that if I had placed my shot correctly I would have found the deer. This was the first deer, let alone buck, that I had ever seen from a tree stand. He walked out from 50 yards out down to where I took the shot at 13 yards. I think anxiety got the best of me and I pulled my shot back a little further than I planned. At the time I was shooting a Bear Wild at 60lbs with a 30.5" draw, gold tip hunter XT 300 spine. When I originally purchased the bow the guy at cabelas gave me 400 spine arrows and cut them really short, so I bought arrows and hadn't had them cut yet due to busy schedule.
I sat in the stand for an hour before looking for the deer and had a decent blood trail, but it just went away. My father in law checked the area the next morning and never found a sign of it. It was a very dissapointing outcome to an amazing situation, but I learned a tremendous amout and that adrenaline rush has me hooked on bow hunting. I just purchased an Elite Energy 32 at 70lbs which I feel much more comfortable with, and the extra velocity will sure help.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
I’m using the slick trick standards and have pretty good confidence in them though I’ve never shot a deer with them yet. They are super sharp and have a small cutting diameter which is exactly what I wanted. They fly perfectly with my field points also. I also had excellent flight results with the qad exodus heads but don’t think they are quite as sharp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
93 Posts
I can't get over how accurate them viper tricks are! Plus......you get 4 in a pack for the same price as 3 of other brands. The trocars are good looking heads too. Viper Tricks get my vote, good luck this fall. I'm glad you're getting back on the horse to try it again. I'm not going to Monday morning quarterback you, it happens to all of us.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I know how it is with losing confidence in the rages. I wont blame the head. But confidence is key. I shoot slicktrick mags. I love them. I shot both of tricks and the trocars. The extra blade made me chose slick tricks. I shot 3 last year all died within sight.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I love any slick trick head. There design is simple but very durable. I automatically rule out broadheads that have tiny screws for holding the blades because if they fail the broadhead becomes useless. So no trocar for me. Im sure lots of people have had success with a trocar on elk but I just like to keep it simple and try to avoid as much headache as possible.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
i guess i'm confused as to why you've lost confidence in the broadhead you are using when you've already listed the reason why you didn't harvest that deer and it has absolutely zero to do with the broadhead.

I like the vipertricks myself.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you all for the information and the lack of judgement on loosing the deer. It was very disheartening, but I am not giving up on bow hunting yet. I think I am going to get a pack of the viper tricks and see how they shoot for me. On a side note, my modules came in for the new bow yestersay, so I get to pick it up tomorrow and start shooting!

·
Registered
186 Posts
I use Slick Trick Magnums, 125 grains. They are tough, fly well, and create a large wound. I had a marginal shot on a deer last year, and the deer ran into some thick timber. I backed out for an hour and found it dead less than 70 yards from where I shot it. A massive blood trail led me right to it. I've never found a reason to try a different broadhead.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts