Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellow archery enthusiast,

My question today is about the carbon technology used to make stabilizers, how it behaves with a recurve versus a compound bow, and specifically target stabilizers in the 20-36 inch lengths. Do manufacturers design target stabilizers for a specific type of bow, or are stabilizers designed for both recurve and compound bow? Note that I am not looking for stabilizer make/model recommendations right now as their is still plenty of research to do and lots of other threads on that topic.

My driving motivation to ask the question is because I am outfitting an older hunting compound to shoot target, but would like to work within a budget as I am currently saving for a new bow in the next several years.
For those interested in context, I am shooting my old hunting bow that was more than plenty accurate to efficiently hit a kill zone, but want to up the accuracy of this bow for now. My current set up is:

1996 PSE inferno, Maxis cams, 40ish inch ATA
28.5 DL / 61 lbs. DW
250FPS on the chronograph
Easton XX75 Platinum Plus arrows total weight 380gr.

I've done quite a bit of super-tuning of all parts of the bow to get to this point and consistently hit the 8/9/10 rings at all distances out to 50 yards but want to acheive even better performance. Note that I have never used a stabilizer of any kind on any bow so I am starting from scratch with experimentation.

Thank you in advance for your wisdom
DB

·
Shootin and Cussin
22,926 Posts
Stabs that will work well on a compound will work well on a recurve. The reverse is NOT true.

Stabs that are build primarily for Olympic recurves will not work well on a compound. It's my opinion that they actually do more harm than good. This is because they don't dampen the vibration as much, or as fast, and actually return it to the bow.

I tried that out a while back and was not pleased.

·
(aka lug nut)
47,344 Posts
Hi fellow archery enthusiast,

My question today is about the carbon technology used to make stabilizers, how it behaves with a recurve versus a compound bow, and specifically target stabilizers in the 20-36 inch lengths. Do manufacturers design target stabilizers for a specific type of bow, or are stabilizers designed for both recurve and compound bow? Note that I am not looking for stabilizer make/model recommendations right now as their is still plenty of research to do and lots of other threads on that topic.

My driving motivation to ask the question is because I am outfitting an older hunting compound to shoot target, but would like to work within a budget as I am currently saving for a new bow in the next several years.
For those interested in context, I am shooting my old hunting bow that was more than plenty accurate to efficiently hit a kill zone, but want to up the accuracy of this bow for now. My current set up is:

1996 PSE inferno, Maxis cams, 40ish inch ATA
28.5 DL / 61 lbs. DW
250FPS on the chronograph
Easton XX75 Platinum Plus arrows total weight 380gr.

I've done quite a bit of super-tuning of all parts of the bow to get to this point and consistently hit the 8/9/10 rings at all distances out to 50 yards but want to acheive even better performance. Note that I have never used a stabilizer of any kind on any bow so I am starting from scratch with experimentation.

Thank you in advance for your wisdom
DB
Come see me in Palo Alto, and I have some stabilizer equipment you can test drive.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts