Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From what i understand Stab's do two things: Stabilize your bow so you can shoot better, silence the bow by removing any vibration.

My question is, with the bows now being virtually shock free and nicely balanced, couldn't one just get used to shooting without a stabilizer, learn to steady without the added weight, or is this an impossible task?

I mean, one of the big selling points out for these new bows it that they are lightweight. Are we unable to accomplish such a feat?

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
I know alot of people that shoot without a stabilizer and they can drill x's all day. Won't effect your accuracy a whole lot. If it's more comfortable to you, then go for it.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Sure you could. But you will shoot better with one. I will take a heavy accurate bow over a light not as accurate bow any day.

·
Ice Cold
11,925 Posts
Might help some people and some bows. I personally dont use one. My bow shoots lights out so why fix it if its not broke?

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
i just use a small x or scoil and mainly for looks. I have tried many stabs like a doinker dish and I hated it. I dont like the extra weight and my bows heavy enough with a loaded quiver and tommy hogg sight. I shoot very well for my purpose which is hunting I am not looking to hit the x every time on the target. I also know I will never be real good to boot, just being honest with myself. I do it to enjoy myself and try not to drive myself nuts.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
To eack there own. But I personally like the added weight as it sloes down pin movemont. Also to those of you that say a stab doesn't do anything put a properly balanced set up on and shoot out to 50 yrds. I think most will s ee the difference. Jmo.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
937 Posts
I don't use one. I used to have an Axion GLX on my z7x, but like you said there was already no vibration. It looked cool, but just added weight. When I got my Helim, I just left it off. I wanted the lightest setup and am actually shooting better at league this year. My first two weeks I have set personal bests. It could be luck, it could be the new bow, but I am pretty much positive with a hunting setup, the stab makes a very small difference if any.

They do look nice and if you want a few more ounces added to your set up, there are a lot of nice stabs out there, but for general hunting, 3d shoots, and league unless you are getting real serious I would leave it off.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Does anyone have any recomendations on a stabilizer to use on Mission Eliminator II ? Im brand new to this. Under 60 dollars would be an added bonus!

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
A stabilizer does not "stabilize" unless the stabilizer extends beyond the bow.

A short stab that does not extend past the limb pockets is not stabilizing the bow.

·
Banned
2,992 Posts
I can shoot my 2007 Guardian perfectly fine without a stabilizer out to 50+ yards. Some extra weight and balance really helps steady it down for those 100 yarders.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I really believe many people are brainwashed on the hunting stabs. Most get one and put it on because they think they have to. For targets OK....hunting no. You are not trying to place 5 arrows in a dime sized target when hunting. You want one arrow in the kill zone. The extra weight is not worth it to me. Try it both ways and see what you think. If money was a factor then the stab would be the last thing I would worry about.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Agreed.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
i just use a small x or scoil and mainly for looks. I have tried many stabs like a doinker dish and I hated it. I dont like the extra weight and my bows heavy enough with a loaded quiver and tommy hogg sight. I shoot very well for my purpose which is hunting I am not looking to hit the x every time on the target. I also know I will never be real good to boot, just being honest with myself. I do it to enjoy myself and try not to drive myself nuts.
Take the x coil challenge. Shoot long range with and with out a longer heavier stab and check your groups. The x coil did nothing for me. Doink on my friend

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
I really believe many people are brainwashed on the hunting stabs. Most get one and put it on because they think they have to. For targets OK....hunting no. You are not trying to place 5 arrows in a dime sized target when hunting. You want one arrow in the kill zone. The extra weight is not worth it to me. Try it both ways and see what you think. If money was a factor then the stab would be the last thing I would worry about.
I agree to this statement because unless the stabilizer extends out past the bow it's not a stabilizer. A short stabilizer does nothing except possibly dampen some hand vibe.

Might as well not have a stabilizer period if it's going to be a short stab.

·
Registered
812 Posts
I use a 12 in 14 oz b-stinger and love it. i have had people tell me that it is to long the arrow sticks out farther than the stab anyway. what i love about it is you can put it over your shoulder while you are walking through the woods and it is on your shoulder with a little guidance, it makes for a good kickstand and you can hold on target alot better than a short stab. And it made me shoot alot better. I hunted with it this year for the first time in a ground blind and out of a tree stand with no complaints. It is one of the best investments i have made

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I use a 12 in 14 oz b-stinger and love it. i have had people tell me that it is to long the arrow sticks out farther than the stab anyway. what i love about it is you can put it over your shoulder while you are walking through the woods and it is on your shoulder with a little guidance, it makes for a good kickstand and you can hold on target alot better than a short stab. And it made me shoot alot better. I hunted with it this year for the first time in a ground blind and out of a tree stand with no complaints. It is one of the best investments i have made
I use the same stabilizer and have had the exact same experience.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I have my 3D rig and my hunting rig set up with the same stabilizer system. Im using a 10" dead steady carbon rod along with a set of bowjax dampeners and a set of weights, overall length is right at 12"s.....this works well for me. Lots of times people seem to get hung up on just what it is that they are wanting a stab/dampener to do......not that many bows out there nowdays produce that much hand shock so it really dosnt take much to suck up what little vibration that is produced. The longer the stab the more stability you will get and this goes a long way in tournamnet archery, it helps to maintain a good float of the pins. I try to keep all of my bows set up as close to the same so that no matter which I pick up the feel is similar.

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
Good statement.

People that are concerned about a long stab for hunting forget their nocked arrow sticks way out there lol

1 - 20 of 30 Posts