Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Son's coach wants him to add a 28" stabilizer. He said it's one of those areas where you get what you pay for, but anything would do. Well, I ordered a WW/SF Axiom before Christmas and it's ship date just keeps getting pushed back - now it's mid April.

So, any suggestions for a reasonable alternative? I can get the Cartel Carbon, but read that people were having trouble with them falling off - something about the threads - so I've steered clear. It's been so long ago I no longer remember the specifics. If you think it's a fine option I'll just order it and be done with it.

I also found this guy on ebay - makes his own - jandsoutdoors. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Archery-Tar...092?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e78e86554

I really don't want to spend $100+ on a stabilizer at this point - especially since my husband is a govt employee and going to have 14 days unpaid between April- Sep thanks to the "powers that be" and their inability to budget. So, spending is not high on my list at the moment, but encouraging my kid is...

Thanks for your help and all the help you've given in the past!

·
Detected rambling:
884 Posts
I currently shoot a 30" SF Axiom, coming from a 28" Cartel Carbon. I like the SF better (MHO), but I had no problems with the Cartel, and there are a lot more archers at my club shooting with them. At this point I would suggest to get the cheapest one and be done with it. The Cartel Carbon might be "weaker" than the others out there, but at what poundage you're going to notice (I'm shooting 36# on the fingers). From the sound of it your kid isn't shooting a high poundage bow, so treat the Cartel Carbon with respect and it should go a long way.

·
Registered
20,759 Posts
cp -

A stabilizer is a tube to hold a weight a given distance from the bow, nothing more, IMHO. Or, the "more" part in marketing hype, the "new and improved" scenario. I can't see blowing $100 on one either.

(Well, I'm sure that pissed a lot of people off...)

I've been using the Cartel Carbon stab for more than a few years, and it's one of the better behaved ones I've used. (Got mine on sale for $25) A number of my students use them as well, also with no issues. Just make sure the one you get has a male far end. The ones with the dampener have a female end, requiring a gender changer (short length od 1/4"x20 threaded rod) to use when adding std head weights.

The eBay stabs you linked are home made. In the past he used a 5/16"x24 threaded rod on both ends, but will go 1/4"x20 if asked. The one my student had need to be epoxied when the end came off. The used market on eBay might be a better bet, IMHO.

Viper1 out.

·
Genesis 21:20
22,536 Posts
I once saw an archer use a discarded shaft from a golf club (driver) with an end weight that was literally a golf ball, as their stabilizer. It worked great, and cost him just a few dollars for the 5/16" fitting. Brilliant solution.

Tony is right. Don't overspend on stabilizers.

·
Archery Dude
419 Posts
People tend to put too much thought into stabilizers. At higher poundages a good or even decent one will help to absorb shock. But, for the most part it's like Viper said... it's just a stick for holding weight. I've also shot a Cartel stabilizer for years with no problem. And despite everything else on my bow being top of the line I have yet to see the point in buying a new expensive set of stabilizers.

·
Registered
831 Posts
People tend to put too much thought into stabilizers. At higher poundages a good or even decent one will help to absorb shock. But, for the most part it's like Viper said... it's just a stick for holding weight. I've also shot a Cartel stabilizer for years with no problem. And despite everything else on my bow being top of the line I have yet to see the point in buying a new expensive set of stabilizers.
I bought some of Coach Bernie's Falcon Featherlite stabilizers in Las Vegas to replace my Cartel Carbon and Easton Aluminum side bars at the staff shooter discount. My daughter grabbed these for herself because they are much lighter than the Easton X10 stabilizers she was using.

The upgrade from the Cartel Carbon / Easton Aluminum setup to the Easton X10 made my bow a little lighter and a lot quieter, because the X10 stabilizer does provide a minimal amount of damping.

My daughters upgrade from Easton X10 to Falcon Featherlite made her bow lighter still -- plus she got the custom bow-balancing treatment from Bernie himself at Vegas.

A stabilizer setup as I see it has seven functions -- providing stability during aiming, resisting bow motion during the shot, providing the desired bow reaction after the shot, and controlling noise and vibration, serving as a bow stand in between ends, serving as a cane when the bow and archer are at the waiting line, and impressing bystanders.

Resisting motion of the bow during the shot requires a high stiffness to weight ratio in the shaft of the stabilizer because the shock generated from the bow's collapse has to travel along the end of the rod to the weight and the end and back before it is felt by the bow. If the stiffness to weight ratio of the stabilizer is too low, the stabilizer will have no effect. (Take a look at slow motion videos on you tube and you'll see what I mean.) This function of the stabilizer is the one that is most expensive to achieve.

·
Registered
10,858 Posts
So if we are looking for the stiffest, lightest stab possible. What is the function of the doinker?

·
Registered
219 Posts
I made one from a leftover aluminum boom from an RC helicopter, weight made from fishing lead and silicone rubber (the most expensive part).
Somewhat self-conscious of my obviously home-made rig, I eventually "upgraded" to a B-Stinger carbon stab. For some reason I have yet to fully fathom, it totally messed up my shot. I switched back to my home-made rig and couldn't be happier.
So :thumbs_up:thumbs_up for home-made stabs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input guys and for the generous offer Lon! I love knowing I can always come here for input! :)

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
a lot of folks (mostly JOADers) at my club shoot the Cartel Carbon, and I have not seen one come apart yet.

but I'd certainly jump on the home made one w8lon offered. I make hunting stabs from RC Helicopter boom tubes. I cap them with high-density foam and fill them with chopped up rubber bands, so they act as a dampener too, works really well.

·
Registered
20,759 Posts
Grant -

So if we are looking for the stiffest, lightest stab possible. What is the function of the doinker?
In my personal opinion, on a recurve, not much.
Also not sure about the stiffest and lightest part, when the "ist" suffix gets added to a word, it generally translates in the most expensive-ist.
Stiff and light is usually enough.

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Not a problem, will be in tomorrows mail. Having three young un's of my own and know what it's like getting them equipped. A pleasure to help out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts