Archery Talk Forum banner

Stabilizer question

949 Views 10 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  Stealthman
Hey guys... I'm sorta new to this 3/D shooting stuff and I have a question about chosing the right Stabilizer for my bow set up... I recom I'll be shooting Open Class now that I bought a sight/scope setup for my GT500... Now it's time for me to chose the right stabilizer.... How does someone know when they have the right setup? Is it about balance or weight? Should I use a long front stabilizer and side bars or just a front stabilizer with alot of weight? I am soooooo confused... Anyone help?
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
12,196 Posts
I think you should go to a shop and try some out. There are a lot of good ones out there -- Specialty Archery, Doinker, Easton, Cartel, Beiter, etc. Primarily, as a shooter with an open class set up, you're going to want a longer one with some decent weight to it -- the point is to make it easier to hold the bow on the target. The v-bars are for side balance. My bow has a tendency to lean to the right (as do most right-handed bows, as that's the side you mount your equipment to and the side the mass of the riser is on). Adding a left-sided bar or a complete v-bar set helps with this.

· Registered
1,978 Posts
A couple of general rules. Double the length= half the weight. So you'll need to figure out what total bow weight is comfortable for you. Then there is a play between your holding weight and mass weight of the equipment. Some people like a certain bow behavior after the shot (gentle roll forward etc) for balance, but that's really irrelevant. A play with FOC and its effect on group size is really all that matters.:darkbeer:

· Registered
1,792 Posts
I shoot AEP...Talk to Nunzio...He's a great guy and very knowledgable...

Posten makes good stuff, and so does Doinker, Extreme Stabilization, etc...

· Registered
3,583 Posts
Takeum, buddy

I just got my new Stokerized stabs, and so far they are very, very nice... i am using a 24" front with a 8" side stab with the new adjustable single side v-bar from dead center archery products(very adjustable).. I will post some pics when I get a chance.. My bow seems to balance out perfect... For your Gt500 I would go with a stab around 18" to 22" and a 6" or 8" side bar.

· Registered
12,196 Posts

· Registered
3,895 Posts
I shoot the B-Stinger XL 34" long and it's awesome! You have to pick one that will fit you though; no matter who makes it!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.