Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve recently purchased a VXR 28’ and wanting to put a stabilizer on it. I know it’s personal preference but the closest shop to me to try out stabilizers is close to 2 hours away from me. I could wait to buy a stabilizer until I have time to go to the shop and try them out but I was wanting to go ahead and get one and start practicing with it. Should I run a back bar? What length for front? What would be a beginner setup? Just really curious what the general consensus is on VXR stabilizer setups. My primary purpose of this bow is for deer hunting. My DL is 29’ 70#. Thanks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I’ve recently purchased a VXR 28’ and wanting to put a stabilizer on it. I know it’s personal preference but the closest shop to me to try out stabilizers is close to 2 hours away from me. I could wait to buy a stabilizer until I have time to go to the shop and try them out but I was wanting to go ahead and get one and start practicing with it. Should I run a back bar? What length for front? What would be a beginner setup? Just really curious what the general consensus is on VXR stabilizer setups. My primary purpose of this bow is for deer hunting. My DL is 29’ 70#. Thanks.
In for answers as well. Have you asked the Mathews forum yet?

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Let me suggest Amazon. You can try many options, keep what you want and send back what you don’t. I did this one summer when I had my Halon 32. I discovered that for me, short hunting stabilizers don’t really make a difference. I have the VXR 31.5 now and have a 10” B-stinger Microhex on it because it looks cool.

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
On my VXR 28 I have a 10" Flatline on the front with 2 oz and an 8" Flatline on the rear with 4 oz. On my VXR 31.5 I have a 12" Flatline on the front with 1 oz and a 10" Flatline on the rear with 3 oz. Both with the Mathews (Shrewd) back bar micro adjust bracket. Both bow seems to balance well for me set up like this with HHA King Pin sights but no quiver attached.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
VXR 31.5 and I'm running 8" B-stinger's front and back. 2oz front and 10oz rear.

·
Registered
24 Posts
On my VXR 28 I have a 10" Flatline on the front with 2 oz and an 8" Flatline on the rear with 4 oz. On my VXR 31.5 I have a 12" Flatline on the front with 1 oz and a 10" Flatline on the rear with 3 oz. Both with the Mathews (Shrewd) back bar micro adjust bracket. Both bow seems to balance well for me set up like this with HHA King Pin sights but no quiver attached.
Do you feel they are both front/top heavy and require a rear stabilizer to truly balance?

·
A.K.A BuckChef
4,119 Posts
I use a 8" flatline out front with a 6" with 2oz. On the back I have a 6oz with 4oz, the weights dont include the weight of the flatline end caps which I think are just over 2oz.
On my 31.5's I have a 10" in the front with 8" on the back (same weight distribution) all balance better than even my field bow with long bars. These bows some things that aren't my favorite, BUT I can say as far as balance and hold......I have Never had a bow hold as well as the VXR's period.

·
Scout, Hunt, Kill!!!
4,261 Posts
Shrewd Raid 12/9 on Shrewd mounts with 2 oz. up front and 8 in the back.

Balances perfectly and holds really well.

Attachments

·
Registered
275 Posts

8" flatline with 1 oz. up front 6" with 2 oz. on Mathew's static mount on back. I was just using the 6" up front with 1 oz for several months and wanted to try the a back bar for 50 plus yards. so far I really like it less float and 100% difference when walking with it, balance perfect. Also I have quiver mount on bottom like The Old Guy. Need to shoot it more and may try 3 oz. on back. Hray

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Agree it’s all preference. I like the counter slides myself which gives you some good flexibility. I think it’s more likely you’ll get close with something like that than gambling on two bars and trying to guess lengths and weights.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What do you think about those wick sticks? I’ve been looking at those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
60 Posts
Almost the exact same setup as you. I run the 10” Flatline off the front With 1 oz with an 8 degree down angle Shrewd QD. I run an 8” flatline back bar with 3 oz off of a Shrewd QD.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'd recommend a 9" front bar and a 6" side rod. The shorter side rod works well to help balance the bow but is more than short enough to stay out of your way while hunting. The slightly longer front rod helps steady the VXR up, but the biggest thing is ensuring you have the weight distributed correctly to fit your style of shooting. That's only something that can be figured out by experimenting with it. I'm running that setup with 12oz off the back and 6oz on the front. I'll end up around 14 off the back and that same 6 on the front I think before i'm done tweaking things. Shrewd makes some awesome stabilizers and components. As well as the Last Chance Archery Multi-Angle front quick disconnect.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts