Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a new machining project. Can anyone share specs (dia and thickness) of a 1oz stackable stabilizer weight. Like a Bstinger or vari weight disc style weight.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Archery Talk forum

·
Registered
76 Posts
My bstinger weights are .175 thick and 1.355 on the diameter.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so much. Those are the stainless steel 1 oz discs, right?

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
I did the calculations and technical drawings for a friend that makes stabilizer weights.
Sorry for obscuring the taper and groove details, but you get the idea. They end up 1 ounce increments after drilled and tapped 5/16-24.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
At $ 10 per ounce/disk.....if he wants to go into business he'd certainly do well !!
im just doing the math on my 3 bows...yikes

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
At $ 10 per ounce/disk.....if he wants to go into business he'd certainly do well !!
im just doing the math on my 3 bows...yikes
Yeah, the brand names are making a pretty big margin on stabilizers/stabilizer weights, because there's not much involved in making either.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Yeah, the brand names are making a pretty big margin on stabilizers/stabilizer weights, because there's not much involved in making either.
While I agree in principle, they still have to recoup the cost of the lathe and tooling. I'd challenge someone to buy a lathe and tooling and then calculate how many ounces of weight they'd have to sell before breaking even. Tools cost money.

·
"Keep Hammering"
8,066 Posts
While I agree in principle, they still have to recoup the cost of the lathe and tooling. I'd challenge someone to buy a lathe and tooling and then calculate how many ounces of weight they'd have to sell before breaking even. Tools cost money.
Exactly. A good mid level cnc lathe like a haas sl40 used is around 50 grand.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Exactly. A good mid level cnc lathe like a haas sl40 used is around 50 grand.
You don't need a $50k CNC lathe, all you need is someone with basic skills to stand at manual lathe and make piles of stab weights. You buy the expensive automated machinery after those piles of weights turn into piles of money.

·
SMH
1,947 Posts
A screw machine will turn out these simple parts for a reasonable setup fee coupled with a good sized order.

Low quantity runs and handling/transfer and painting and packaging make cheap steel into expensive stab weights.

Throw the weights into a tumble de-burrer, bag 'em and tag 'em and call it a day.

·
"Keep Hammering"
8,066 Posts
You don't need a $50k CNC lathe, all you need is someone with basic skills to stand at manual lathe and make piles of stab weights. You buy the expensive automated machinery after those piles of weights turn into piles of money.
Most big companies buy top end cnc lathes/mills off the get go, They're faster, more precise and more efficient. A 50k cnc haas lathe like I mentioned is a 11 year old 2006 model lathe, New they're well over a 100 grand.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts