Archery Talk Forum banner

Stabilizers...Can anyone give me a brief explanation...

815 Views 12 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  Skeeter 58
I was recently recommended a longer stabilizer for my bow. I have a PSE BM mid size. I have seen some other people with stabilizers that looked over a foot long...

What are the general reasons for adding such long devices?

Any input is appreciated :teeth:
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Shootin and Cussin
27,294 Posts
It's all about two things....

1) Balance. I want my bow to fall away from me after the shot. I also want the bow to be balanced, left-right and up-down, when I'm at full draw.

2) Vibration Reduction.

Are you looking for hunting or target suggestions? They are two very different setups. You can use a hunting setup for target but it's tough to use a true target setup for hunting.

· Registered
22,716 Posts
Simply put, ,,,,, the farther out you move weight, the more resistance you have against movement. And can do so with less weight.

There are others as well but that is the main one

· Registered
11,635 Posts
I was recently recommended a longer stabilizer for my bow. I have a PSE BM mid size. I have seen some other people with stabilizers that looked over a foot long...

What are the general reasons for adding such long devices?

Any input is appreciated :teeth:

If you are just hunting, a longer stab probably doesn't make sense for mobility.
As others have said, a longer stab serves a few purposes, do a search and you will find a lot of reading on it.

Lien2

· Registered
8,662 Posts
It's all about two things....

1) Balance. I want my bow to fall away from me after the shot. I also want the bow to be balanced, left-right and up-down, when I'm at full draw.

2) Vibration Reduction.

Are you looking for hunting or target suggestions? They are two very different setups. You can use a hunting setup for target but it's tough to use a true target setup for hunting.
While it may help stabilizers are not there for vibration damping. They are to stabilize. Vibration dampeners stop vibration they are not the same thing. There are those that try to combine both and don't do a real good job at either.

· Registered
22,716 Posts
And then there are those that combine both and do an excellent job. Not all are created equal. That is why it is important to try as many as you can until you find what works for you.

· Registered
2,092 Posts
For example of getting the weight out away from the riser. Try to hold a broom steady holding the bristle end straight in front of you. Then try too hold it steady holding the handle end. Which way is steadyer? The handle end because the weight is at the other end. I would check out the doinker dish line if I were you or b-stingers are great too.

· Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks fellas, I do notice my bow falls back towards me after shots. I will look into it more.:smile: I do shoot targets and 3d for practice, but my main thing is hunting.

· Anti Fanboy
49,907 Posts
While it may help stabilizers are not there for vibration damping. They are to stabilize. Vibration dampeners stop vibration they are not the same thing. There are those that try to combine both and don't do a real good job at either.
Although this is true to an extent it is not cut in stone. If your bow is already balanced out fairly well to begin with then a light stab thats good for removing vibration and noise is great. This is esp true for a huning rig. No way in heck am I going to be hunting with some long, heavy, bulky stab on my bows.
This Extreme Acad 7 Multi Rod has worked super good for me on several of my hunting bows in the last few years. Just heavy enough to help balance and removes vibration and/or noise better than anything else I have tried.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.