Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the advantage to a disconnect that points the stabilizer down? And why are they not used as often in hunting as they are in target? Or is that just my perception? Looking to buy a disconnect but not sure which to go with.

·
Shootin and Cussin
24,574 Posts

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Wow!!! That is really great!!!! Except, it doesn't answer the question.

OP, it is all about lowering the center of gravity of the bow. The lower the CG, the more steady the bow will be.

Reactions: kballer1 and dnv23

·
Back Yard Champion
30,789 Posts
What is the advantage to a disconnect that points the stabilizer down? And why are they not used as often in hunting as they are in target? Or is that just my perception? Looking to buy a disconnect but not sure which to go with.
For a hunting bow I'd say you don't need a angled quick disconnect. It ain't a target bow.

For a target bow it is said a gravity thing.......I always thought I didn't score well because of the atmospherical conditions and my geological location....More likely the way the 3D course was set.

I have both a straight and 10 degree quick disconnect. The word "quick" is just a word. None I know of today is as fast as the Pro Release (no longer made) I still have. It's like a air coupling - pull sleeve to remove or install. It's off and on that fast. Quick disconnects will let remove in a twist or two, but try installing and see if don't back off the barrel nut a bunch.

That I have both I can't feel/see a difference - both 30" target stabilizers. Some say that the stab is down they don't see it during the shot/recoil - like who cares as the arrow is gone.... I had a straight on all my target bows and no issue - Hoyt, Martin and Pearson.

Only that I already have 10 degree quick disconnects is the only reason I still use them....

·
Registered
9,281 Posts
I use 8° or 10° down QDs on all 3 of my bows at the moment, hunting and target.

It doesn't really do much unless you are using a 12" or longer stabilizer and even then it's not going to make or break your setup.

If it helps me hold just a fraction better it's worth it to me.

I want to have as little pin movement (float) as possible whether I'm hunting or shooting targets.

I've had a couple bows that seemed to hold better with a straight QD. Not sure why?

I like to have both a straight and angled QDs on hand to see what works best for each particular bow.

You won't know if it's better for you and your bow setup unless you try it. What works on one bow my not work on a different bow and what works for one archer may not work for another, even with the same bow.

·
Registered
12,529 Posts
Originally I had my halon-32 setup with a straight qd and the fixed rear bar mount that came straight back. I tried the the 8° qd at the same time as the adjustable rear mount (I honestly think that was the biggest improvement) with the same stabilizers and it was noticeable. My pin settles faster after dropping the weight lower on the bow. Not a big difference but still a difference.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Back Yard Champion
30,789 Posts
Looked through Lancaster catalog. Angled quick disconnects run. 5, 8, 10, 15 and 20 degrees.........

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
I tried a couple of stabilizer disconnect designs, many years ago. They were terrible! They either created more vibration or noise, no matter how tightly they were torqued on. I sure hope they're a lot better now. Anyway, I just found my favorite, perfect stabilizers that I attach directly to my bows.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have both a straight and 10 degree quick disconnect. The word "quick" is just a word. None I know of today is as fast as the Pro Release (no longer made) I still have. It's like a air coupling - pull sleeve to remove or install. It's off and on that fast. Quick disconnects will let remove in a twist or two, but try installing and see if don't back off the barrel nut a bunch.
This!! I want to know what gremlin is getting into my stabilizer bag and twisting that darn barrel nut. A twist or so to take the stabilizer off, 5 twists of the nut before there is any hopes of putting it back on.

·
Shootin and Cussin
24,574 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts