Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm at that next stage of tuning my bow. (Paper tuning is done, and my pins are dialed in.) Looking and researching stabilizers, with the intent of having the right setup to shoot everything this year. (3D, Indoor Spots, and Hunting.) This is with the Bear Anarchy, the current stab combo is great for vibration control but not for holding on target. This thread is not really what brands you shoot (although that information is useful), but how did you determine that to be your setup?

What do you mainly have the Stab setup for?

What lengths/weights are you using?

How is your setup balanced?

What information did you have when you purchased your setup (was it a calculated measure, or did you have spare/loan gear that you trail-and-error)?

I don't have a great pro-shop in the area, and I don't want to dump cash into a setup that isn't going to work for me. This thread may just spark an answer to my problem.

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
I have a Bowtech D340 that i use for 3D and hunting. It is set up with A 12"" B Stinger Stab with a 14 oz. end weight and is a true pleasure to draw against the forward weight and hold's rock steady for me. I feel that for a stab to do what it is designed to do , it has to extend past the limb pocket's with most of the weight near it's end IMO! The 14 0z. took a little getting used to, but now i'll never look back. If you can, try as many stabs as possible and good luck!

·
Registered
11,632 Posts
I have a 2011 Alpha Elite for 3D. I have a 27" front bar with 3oz on the front. I also have a vbar with 2 12" bars off the back. The left side has 4oz, the right has 2oz. I like my bow to sit right where it is both during the shot, and after. It's about trial an error to get it right, when I get a new bow, it almost always will take a slightly different weight combination to get it balanced again..........for ME.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Shooting an Anarchy as well I tried a doinker dish on it and didn't care for the looks of it but it worked decent. I then went to a 12" B stinger with an 8oz weight this combo worked well and planned on using it in IBO hunter class for 3d. I really wanted to shoot farther yardages but with fixed pins so I'm going to just shoot MBR I'm now using a 30" B stinger in front with 3 oz and a 12" back bar with 4oz currently I think it's going to go up a bit more in weight in back my pin bounces up and down slightly the way it is currently set. I'll be running a 14" bar in front and keeping the 12" back bar for hunting. I really like the backbar setup I'm way more stable on the target with it. I mostly shoot 3d and Hunt I've shot 20yrd spots once I just can't get into shooting paper I do it mostly o just work on form.

SprintPhoto_brvkms.jpg

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I use my bow for both hunting and 3D and always shoot a 12" B-STINGER with an 11oz weight. Bows are quiet these days. For me a stabilizer should do just that, stabilize a bow. I fought the idea of carrying a bow in the mountains with a 12" stabilizer but after shooting one I became a believer. At the end of the day I wand a bow that is as accurate as possible when the moment of truth arrives.

I know you said your tuning and sighting-in was complete but depending on the stabilizer you choose it could have minor affects on both....Nothing major, just don't be surprised.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
B stinger 12" stab

Just a little addition, I tested about 6 different stabilizers over the past 6 years. Put all of them on E-bay after going with the B-stinger!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
I shoot the 10.25" B-Stinger with quick release (makes it 12" overall) and 11 oz weight. I too was apprehensive about using this setup for hunting but I must say I wouldn't go any other way now. It really make the bow hold steady and I've noticed it especially takes the jitters out of it when you're under stress.

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
I always set the front stab with a modest amount of weight. Hunting and hunter set up is. 11 1/2 Bstinger with 14 oz weight. Then I put the back bar on.I start with 4-5 ounces of weight.I will adjust the weight until the pin settles dead on.If it is moving up,down,up,down I will remove a little weight.I adjust the left and right until the bows sight level is dead on.
I basically do the same thing with a long bar.Depending on length I start with 3-5 ounces out front and 6-10 on the rear.Off course you can fine tune how the bow holds by slight adjustments in your tiller set up.

·
Husband & Dad (6 Girls!)
1,333 Posts
how did you determine your setup? I got the DISH because it was long adjustable and had a quick disconnect.

What do you mainly have the Stab setup for? Shooting 3D and hunting.

What lengths/weights are you using? 12" and about 14oz end weight.

How is your setup balanced? I have an angled disconnect now that allows me to have the bow sit level. It is front heavy to slow my errors.

What information did you have when you purchased your setup (was it a calculated measure, or did you have spare/loan gear that you trail-and-error)? It was a new and I read about it on AT. After reading Robin Hall's info to correct misinformation I figured it would be better for me than other brands that were not adjustable.
Answers in red. My .02

·
Registered
175 Posts
I went to the asa in london and had Bernie set it up with me. He talks alot but knows alot. Ended up with a setup I could've never come up with on my own. 25" front and 14" rear. Rear weighs in at a pound!!!

·
Registered
12,895 Posts
Just a little addition, I tested about 6 different stabilizers over the past 6 years. Put all of them on E-bay after going with the B-stinger!

This

You have to test several and see what holds the pin the best for you

·
Registered
840 Posts
I have the Enforced from Vendetta Archery. It comes withif I remember right a 4-2-1 weight system so you can adjust it to your liking. It comes with a 3.5" or a 5" T-head. I have this stabilizer on my Hoyt Maxxis 35 and my SR-71. Great quality, price, and awesome customer service.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Shooting an Anarchy as well I tried a doinker dish on it and didn't care for the looks of it but it worked decent. I then went to a 12" B stinger with an 8oz weight this combo worked well and planned on using it in IBO hunter class for 3d. I really wanted to shoot farther yardages but with fixed pins so I'm going to just shoot MBR I'm now using a 30" B stinger in front with 3 oz and a 12" back bar with 4oz currently I think it's going to go up a bit more in weight in back my pin bounces up and down slightly the way it is currently set. I'll be running a 14" bar in front and keeping the 12" back bar for hunting. I really like the backbar setup I'm way more stable on the target with it. I mostly shoot 3d and Hunt I've shot 20yrd spots once I just can't get into shooting paper I do it mostly o just work on form.

View attachment 1282784
Can you say "Muscle Memory" Thats what shooting spots will gain ya, but its not without effort, ya cant drill an x on the 44yd deer on the local 3D range if ya cant drill a spot @ 20 yds consistently! my 2 cents anyway, archery is shooting, 3D or paper, its shooting period, don't let 1 keep you from the other!

·
Registered
793 Posts
You may want to check out the Enforcer from Vendetta. It's a T-bar style stabilizer that allows you to add more weight to one side to offset the sight/rest. And then there's no need for a side bar. I use to shoot doinkers and I floated around quite a bit and then I tried the Enforcer and the bow stopped. Check it out. :)

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
I hang my bow by a string around the upper limb pocket and snap a 2 way level on the string and start there. I don't look for a stabilizer to dampen viberations at all. I am looking for balance. I too notice that my sight bubble sits where it needs to be much easier and the front to back balance is more trial and error. Shoot the front weight that groups the best...everyone is different.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts