Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering what you guys look for in a stabilizer and which one you think is best? Im lookin for something that actually stabilizes the bow for the shot...Shock absorbtion is a bonus but not the most important factor im looking for...My 5 year old stabilizer is just not cutting it w/ the new setup and was wondering what new tech. is out there. Thanks for your opinions guys (and girls)..

·
Registered
5,919 Posts

·
Excited Delerium
1,024 Posts
I agree with you, a stabilizer is for stabilizing the bow, and is not necessary for shock reduction. With the designs of todays bows, they are already relatively shock free.

That being the case, I found a company in the upper midwest selling the old school stabilizers like Easton used to make, it is an aluminum rod with stacked weights on the end.

The company is Hawkeye Manufacturing, and you can reach Glen at the following email;
[email protected]

I just bought an aluminum model, and he also makes them out of Nylon 66, with an assortment of materials for the weights, and some shiny ones for target shooters too.

The overall length is 10 3/4" so it will still be allowed in the hunter class at 3D shoots. It comes with three stacked weights that can be arranged to give you what ever amount of balance you need.

Forgot to add that it was $20 including shipping for the stabilizer.

·
Registered
364 Posts
The Doinker line sounds like what you are looking for. I have been very happy with my Doinker Carbon Plus 7''.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I'm using the carbon rod featherlight series from specialty archery. It uses a sims slider with a weight in the middle. You can adjust the slider where needed to balance the bow so it holds the pin on the mark. I don't really need a stab for noise reduction but just for it's intended function. Elk is so right, though's Easton stabs back in the early 80's were the bomb. Glad to here someone is making them again.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I like to use a Sim's Enhancer 2000. It's short so as to not catch on limbs while turning in your treestand and I can wrap my wrist release around it while going to and from the stand. This way it's always with the bow.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
I am still searching for a hunting stabilizer that will actually stabilize a bow too. Most of what you see on the market does very little if anything to actually stabilize a bow. Maybe they should change the name to "shock absorbers", because thats about all they do.
The only stabilizers that I have found that will stabilize a bow are the long target stabilizers. They do a great job at the range, but are not practical in the woods.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I believe the "STEALTH STABILIZER" is exactly what your looking for.....they not only "Stabilize" the bow making it aim much better......they do absorb shock and Vibration very well.
Now available in RealTree Hardwoods and RealTree Hardwoods green.
Designed by a "Hard core" bowhunter for other "Hard core" bowhunters!:wink:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I also use the Stealth Stabilizers. I 've got a 12 inch on my BowTech Equalizer for 3D, my Hoyt Pro Elite for spots and will be using an 8 inch on my hunting bow as well this year. I will only shoot with Stealth Stabilizers.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I would like to hear what you guys mean, when you say you want to find a stablizer that "stablizes the bow" and "makes it hold the pin on the target"...

?????

WHAT direction, and WHAT WAY, are you referring to, when you say "balance the bow" ????

Do you mean that you want the bow balanced in your hand, so that the bow does not fall backward or forward, when just holding it still in your hand?
Do you mean "balanced", so that the bow is perfectly balanced when you stick your finger in the grip, and point the stablizer UP to the air, thus rocking the bow back and forth on your index finger at the grip/pivot point???

In WHAT WAY, are you guys desiring your bows to be balanced????
I've NEVER quite understood ANY balancing of a compound bow, EXCEPT, when it comes to canting the bow.
I completely understand the side mounted stabilizers, which shoot out to the left and right (mostly seen in target archery). These are certainly nice for helping the archer to keep from canting the bow.
HOWEVER, a regular stabilizer, mounted to the front of your bow, does not help with canting.
THEREFORE, my question about HOW you guys like to "balance your bow" with a regular stabilizer....
I'm REALLY looking forward to hearing back from you guys. Your answers might help me find a better stabilizer in the near future!

·
Registered
8,806 Posts
i want my hunting bow to hold just as good as my target bow to accomplish this i use a 10 1/2 inch aep with 3 weights in the end. it absorbs alot of vibration but most importantly it stabilizes the bow and it holds very well. and the price is great not to mention the first class service everyone recieves from nunzio and his wife.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I think what a good stabilizer does is, make your bow hold very steady in your hand while at full draw......its not that it necessarily makes the bow perfectly balanced in my opinion.
You will find that most of the top competitive shooters are shooting a bow with quite a bit of mass weight to it,this is because a heavier setup is most times much easier to hold steady on target.....this is true of competitive shooting sports in general.
The longer heavier the stabilizer is (up to a point),the more it will resist hand torque and error in your executing the shot.
What you as a bowhunter has to decide is, how much weight/length do you want to carry around the woods?
A hunter running around at high elevation chaseing elk up and down a mountain side might opt for a lighter stabilizer than a guy hunting whitetails in Iowa!Unless of course your in great shape!:rolleyes:
The lighter bow is sure alot nicer to carry around but,in most peoples hands will not be as accurate and as forgiving as the same bow with a longer heavier stabilizer!
I know I read that an archer/bowhunter named Randy Ulmer likes alot of stabilizer when hunting whitetails from a stand......that should tell you something!:wink:

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I hear ya guys. I agree that more weight, is what adds a steadier aim. This is not necessarily "balancing", but rather "steadying"... Big difference...

Bowgod,
I'd like to see which specific AEP stab you are using. How can I do this?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts