Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24,926 Posts
to i make you hold steadier and more stabile. helps the pins not move around so much.

shoot with out a stabilizer than throw on a paradigm sos, posten b stinger or anyother real stabilizer and you will see what it does.

s coils and little rubber thing dont do anything

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
octane stabilizer

what about the octane stabilizer, I have a diamond bow and like the looks of the octane, but kind of expensive I thought, 50$. It just seems like the stabilizer would help my shooting with the diamond bow being so small and lightweight, not used to a bow that small and fast as the last bow I owned was 10 years old. thanks

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
They have two functions.

Most hunters use stabilizers to reduce the bow noise. There are several in this category, but the S-Coil and the Doinker series are good examples. The S-Coil has this one, and only one, purpose.

A second function used by most target archers, and some hunters, is to slow the bow movements and therefore improve accuracy. The principle is angular moment of inertia, and is best experienced to understand.

Take a gallon of milk and hold it close to the chest - move it back and forth fast. Now take this same gallon of milk and hold it out at arms length and move it back and forth just as fast, if you can. Notice that it is almost impossible to move it as fast when you are at arm's length.

By adding weight, and by adding distance from the bow hand, the bow movements slow down, giving you a more stable sight picture.

Now how much weight and how far is too much, well that depends on the bow, the poundage drawn, the person shooting, ............................

I hope this helps some.

·
Registered
24,926 Posts
what about the octane stabilizer, I have a diamond bow and like the looks of the octane, but kind of expensive I thought, 50$. It just seems like the stabilizer would help my shooting with the diamond bow being so small and lightweight, not used to a bow that small and fast as the last bow I owned was 10 years old. thanks
$50 is actually cheap in the stab world. most are $70+

i never tried a octane but just by design and lack of weight i wouldnt like it. you might.

my stab for hunting is 11.5" and weighs around 22oz about 10 oz on the very end

imo end weight is very import for stabs. 7" is where stability really starts

·
Registered
862 Posts
I really like my octane stabilizer for hunting. I use the 11.5" on my sentinel and it works great.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I would better be suited for the smaller 7" version. I hunt some tight spots and never used a stab before, but think it would help my shooting.

·
Registered
862 Posts
You should really give the 11.5" model a try. I was going to go with the 7" too, until my the proshop owner pointed out that my arrow sticks out much farther than the stabilizer. I have found the 11.5" to be no burden in the woods.

Try them both and buy the one that works the best.

·
Registered
24,926 Posts
I think I would better be suited for the smaller 7" version. I hunt some tight spots and never used a stab before, but think it would help my shooting.
dude you have to see how tight my spots are and i used a 13.5" stab last yr and never bumped it. your arrow will stick out farther then the stabilizer. i just dont see that 7" octane doing anything but looking good. the 11" with end weights would be nice i bet.

if you get the 7" i would suggest you buy a 8oz b stinger weight for it just to get some end weight on it.

·
Live with passion
7,328 Posts
I have tried the Octane and it did little to anything as far as stabilization. There is not enough weight on there and what is there is spread out. You need the highest % of weight as far forward as you can.

As far as bow stabiliation you don't really get any noticeable effect on any stab that is under 10". Some stabs like the B-Stinger and Smooth Stability will pretty well slightly under that, but only because almost all their weight is concentrated at the very tip of the stab.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts