Archery Talk Forum banner

Stabilizers

788 Views 9 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  saps
What would the difference in one inch shorter be? Is it worth passing up a good deal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Shootin and Cussin
27,290 Posts
No real difference. You'll never notive it.

· World & National Champion
34,042 Posts
What length are you talking about? 1" on a 4" is 25% compared to 1" on a 30" target stabilizer.

· Back Yard Champion
35,970 Posts
What length are you talking about? 1" on a 4" is 25% compared to 1" on a 30" target stabilizer.
^^^^^^^^^ this

· Registered
11,913 Posts
Depends on your bow with ALL the other accessories attached. Does it feel balanced in hand? Is it wanting to lean forward or backward? does it cant to one side? You can add more weight to get a short stabilizer to work more in the direction you want. Some bows are balanced better than others and don't require much. You might need more dampening action with aggressive cams. I prefer a longer (10-12" with an 8" sidebar for hunting) stabilizer with less weight. Target shooters use lots of weight and long stabilizers to steady the bow and make it "HOLD" on target

· Registered
312 Posts
Stabilizers mainly come in two categories, short dampening rods and actual target length stabs. The general rule of thumb is that anything below 12'' doesn't really serve to stabilize as much as it serves to dampen vibration etc. Now that being said there are short stabs that do work, and you will notice a difference going from no stab to a short 12'' or less stab. When moving from a 5'' to a 4'' I would seriously doubt you will notice any difference at all. I run a 5'' stab on my bow, it helps SLIGHTLY with stabilization and a lot with vibration dampening. Hope this helps.

-Reaper

· USMC 04/2005-05/2013
3,605 Posts
At that length, it only dampens vibration and adds mass weight. That added weight does help, but like mentioned, would not go any shorter than 12" on the front.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.