Archery Talk Forum banner

staircase vanes

549 9
I was in one of the local shops yesterday looking at a new bow, the owner let me shoot a couple, and use one of this arrows, his vanes were kinda like a spiral staircase, has anybody heard of this and does it help? He said it was to keep the arrow spinning past 40 yards.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
8,034 Posts
The arrow will spin past 40 yards with a normal position fletch too....
This is true!! And by the way...go away or I shall taunt you a second time!!! Persnickty!!! Now except the Trojan Rabbit and launch it my way!!!!!!:wink::wink:

· Registered
1,485 Posts
If it's what I think it is, if it wasn't just a helical fletch then they were "Flu-Flu" arrows. They're designed for short flight. They're used for bird hunting so the arrow falls a short distance away.

The fletching is usually one long feather wrapped around the shaft about a half dozen turns. Here's an example of one with a very tight spiral wrap:

· Registered
8,034 Posts
Hi Dave!!! No, he's talking about someone fletching a vane like a 2" blazer, stepping each vane further down the shaft as you apply each vane. This kind of gives the effect of a 4" vane without the extra weight. :):)

If it's what I think it is, if it wasn't just a helical fletch then they were "Flu-Flu" arrows. They're designed for short flight. They're used for bird hunting so the arrow falls a short distance away.

The fletching is usually one long feather wrapped around the shaft about a half dozen turns. Here's an example of one with a very tight spiral wrap:

· Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i will try to get a picture, they were 3 3" plastic vanes, one started in the normal position, the next was about half way down from the first and the 3rd was about halfway down from it

· Registered
776 Posts
I know what you are talking about, its kind of like if you set the first fletching in the normal position then move the second one towards your fieldpoint/broadhead about a 5/16"-1/2" and that much more forward for the third fletch

if I had a picture I would show you, I have tryed it it and there really was no difference in the flight from 20-70 yards, they flew just about the same.

the story behind it for me was some guy came in and showed me his and gave me some story (still not sure if it's true or not) about how some NASA engineer and his buddies tested different fletching systems to see which fle the best in a state of the art wind tunnel and this stystem worked the best........

believe if you want to but like i said they worked about the same for me as any other fletching ive ever shot... so ill stil with the norm.

· Registered
1,485 Posts
Okay, I see what you mean now. I'd like to hear some more though on the tests they conducted, and why after all these years did nobody else ever think of this?

· Registered
8,034 Posts
Actually, we played with this back in the late 70's and early 80's! I'm sure people tried it long before we did!! :)

Okay, I see what you mean now. I'd like to hear some more though on the tests they conducted, and why after all these years did nobody else ever think of this?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.