Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For someone initially learning back tension, are there advantages to starting out with a resistance release like the Element to get down the muscle movements and feel of a proper shot before exploring other options? As a hunter, I appreciate the simplicity of the Hooker and would like to try one but I want to build the fundamental techniques of back tension first. Thoughts?

Note: I used the Element as an example. My question is more about the process of learning back tension on a resistance release rather than a specific model to use.

Thanks

· Registered
151 Posts
i think the whalens would be a better choice. it requires the proper movevement to work. the element only works on increased pressure and is easy to cheat.

· Registered
443 Posts
Can you cheat the Whalens by pressing with your middle finger?
Technically yes, but i you could do that with any backtension release, even the hinges. I switched to backtension with the hooker. I set it heavy (the hook at a greater angle) so that i really had to pull into it and use back tension, and then would slowly set it with a lower angle so it would go off sooner. Now its in my sweet spot and i am shooting great with it! You may have a sore finger for a the first couple times you shoot it, but after that i didnt have a problem, so you probably wouldnt either.

· Registered
901 Posts
I found the hooker is harder to cheat than some others out there. When you try to cheat it, it feels like you're obviously cheating it. Since there's not as much leverage on it like there is on a 3 or 4 finger so you really have to crank that hook down with just that one finger to cheat it and it's easy not to do that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.