Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After my Stan Perfex failed I went looking for a new one and discovered Stan discontinued the Perfex. I have gone through two Stan Onnex releases and they are hands down some of the worst releases I have had. Took them to my shop to verify it wasnt just me, and received the same feedback.

Is anyone else having the same issues with the Onnex?

·
Registered
277 Posts
After my Stan Perfex failed I went looking for a new one and discovered Stan discontinued the Perfex. I have gone through two Stan Onnex releases and they are hands down some of the worst releases I have had. Took them to my shop to verify it wasnt just me, and received the same feedback.

Is anyone else having the same issues with the Onnex?
You didn't specify what the issue was? I just replaced my wise choice with an onnex and I really like it so far.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You didn't specify what the issue was? I just replaced my wise choice with an onnex and I really like it so far.

Sorry for not clarifying. The general quality didnt seem to match the perfex, it would miss fire very often (a very scary amount), when trying to set how hot it was, it was either super hot or super cold with no in between. Also, when pressing the button to lock it, it felt like something was grinding which I was told was normal from lancaster archery. Both were purchased in store at lancaster archery.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Sorry for not clarifying. The general quality didnt seem to match the perfex, it would miss fire very often (a very scary amount), when trying to set how hot it was, it was either super hot or super cold with no in between. Also, when pressing the button to lock it, it felt like something was grinding which I was told was normal from lancaster archery. Both were purchased in store at lancaster archery.
Interesting. My wise choice felt like it was grinding when locking the claw when I first got it but dropped some oil in there then it stopped.

As for the onnex, I didn't change any settings on it. The trigger lock doesn't grind per se but you can hear there's a tiny metal spring moving when you lock the hook. It's a stiffer and longer lock travel than my wise choice but I didn't really think any issue of it. I've shot two 3D events with it so far and I've been adjusting to it.

I'd be interested to hear other people's thoughts.

·
Back Yard Champion
34,001 Posts
So a tension release? Last week some one had issues. Said it went "tink,tink, tink before it fired." Never came back to say if it was fixed or went away.

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
I have several Stan releases including the new Onnex Thumb. I always Like to try new things, but so far this release is not up to par with what I expect from Stan quality. Out of the box the release was set so light the locking button wouldn’t catch. I tightened it down and the first 50 shots all felt like there was some kind of mechanism error inside the release, a heavy grinding click, almost like flipping the safety on a cheap shotgun.

in addition, while setting the release I had trouble getting the sensitivity adjusted; either the release was so heavy it wouldn’t fire or so light it wouldn’t close. When I say I couldn’t get it to fire, I’ve been shooting for almost 25 years. I can shoot a hinge or a thumb and I had this release to the point where I was pressing my thumb and squeezing my hand and I couldn’t make it go off. I loosened the screw and now it’s sloppy with travel, but will shoot.

for reference I also have an SX3 that is the crispest break I could ever ask for. I don’t know what the differences are, but I called Stan and was let down by their response. The first person I spoke with very obviously was either new to the company or had never shot a handheld release and advised it would do like everything was working as intended.

I’ll give it some more time and see if the release Breaks in over time.

·
Back Yard Champion
34,001 Posts
Both thumb buttons.
I have several Stan releases including the new Onnex Thumb. I always Like to try new things, but so far this release is not up to par with what I expect from Stan quality. Out of the box the release was set so light the locking button wouldn’t catch. I tightened it down and the first 50 shots all felt like there was some kind of mechanism error inside the release, a heavy grinding click, almost like flipping the safety on a cheap shotgun.

in addition, while setting the release I had trouble getting the sensitivity adjusted; either the release was so heavy it wouldn’t fire or so light it wouldn’t close. When I say I couldn’t get it to fire, I’ve been shooting for almost 25 years. I can shoot a hinge or a thumb and I had this release to the point where I was pressing my thumb and squeezing my hand and I couldn’t make it go off. I loosened the screw and now it’s sloppy with travel, but will shoot.

for reference I also have an SX3 that is the crispest break I could ever ask for. I don’t know what the differences are, but I called Stan and was let down by their response. The first person I spoke with very obviously was either new to the company or had never shot a handheld release and advised it would do like everything was working as intended.

I’ll give it some more time and see if the release Breaks in over time.
For both of you, send them back to the factory.... Do the review on the Lancaster site. Not many do this and should.

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
For both of you, send them back to the factory.... Do the review on the Lancaster site. Not many do this and should.
I already called Stan. They told their was no problem. I have no issue in dragging this out online Archery companies basically suck now. I don’t take it personally. Except Eders, that guy is dog ****.

·
Back Yard Champion
34,001 Posts
Before Doug sold out, before the cease of production of the MoreX series customer service was outstanding. ears, I think, sent me 2 Eclips and 4 or 5 of the round blue decals. Never a problem with my old Micro III 2 finger, Shootoff or the 2 Jet Blacks I have. Still have all 4 and plan on keeping them.

·
Back Yard Champion
34,001 Posts

·
Back Yard Champion
34,001 Posts
I already called Stan. They told their was no problem. I have no issue in dragging this out online Archery companies basically suck now. I don’t take it personally. Except Eders, that guy is dog ****.
Definitely do the Lancaster Review thing.....Explain issues and Stan denying a problem

Reactions: Gabbler1

·
Back Yard Champion
34,001 Posts
So a tension release? Last week some one had issues. Said it went "tink,tink, tink before it fired." Never came back to say if it was fixed or went away.
Found it. I guess he got it going, but with upping the firing weight. The Poster doesn't name the release, but he's the same one that's posted of the Onnex review and his 2 kids, 10 and 13 years. I don't accept this as a review, but accept it as a father feeling real proud of his sons.

Pros rant and rave of what release they use, but then most are getting something back in return. No one has ever won big or made a name for himself because of the use of a particular release.

·
El Cool Arrow >>---->
10,456 Posts
I have an Onnex and its money! But you are right that most companies suck now! I just saw Aaron Snyder drag Stan online through the mud for having same attitude with him about his wrist strap just randomly firing. Service like this shouldn't happen to anyone but especially to one of the bigger name in archery! Really unfortunate!

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have an Onnex and its money! But you are right that most companies suck now! I just saw Aaron Snyder drag Stan online through the mud for having same attitude with him about his wrist strap just randomly firing. Service like this shouldn't happen to anyone but especially to one of the bigger name in archery! Really unfortunate!
This whole thing started when my stan perfex broke. The perfex was the best release ever IMO and when I called stan they werent helpful at all. Needless to say, the quality of the product has diminished AND the customer service leaves a lot to be desired which is a deadly combo.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
This worries me a lot.
My mint condition, 5 week old 'back up' Perfex thumb failed and has gone back to Stan for repair. I haven't seen it in three months.
If it comes back not fixed (and my retailer refunds me) then all the Perfex thumbs are sold out so I wont be able to get a matching one. The Onnex isn't the same and it sounds like they have issues to resolve.

Sigh.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts