Archery Talk Forum banner
21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Before Doug sold out, before the cease of production of the MoreX series customer service was outstanding. ears, I think, sent me 2 Eclips and 4 or 5 of the round blue decals. Never a problem with my old Micro III 2 finger, Shootoff or the 2 Jet Blacks I have. Still have all 4 and plan on keeping them.
When did the sell happen? I have used an sx3 for years and have yet to find a better thumb button (other than the perfex long neck which marginally improved on the sx3). I hope they don’t take the nosedive in quality and reputation they appear to be on the trajectory for. When I was in the release market, they had the best product that was made at the time. It’s been good enough that I’ve never looked at replacing it.

D

·
Registered
785 Posts
I have never had any issues with their customer service. I recently sent my perfex back because the finger extension bar on the release broke off and my thumb barrel kept spinning on me even after buying new shafts and barrels. I had it back in a week and everything was fixed on it. I have a Onnex Hinge right now and the only issue from the factory was that the training pin won't fit into the head. I just haven't sent it back to them yet because of the classes I'm taking after this weekend it will go back.

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
let me be clear, the SX3 is absolutely the best release ive ever shot. and i dont want to be that guy who thinks the thing he likes is the best and anything new "isn't like how they used to make them"....but this release could not have been QC'd when i got it. no one at that facility looked at it. They put it in a box and shipped it. i assume its because they are under staffed, but thats really not my issue. It is also very obvious that the term heavy metal doesnt mean what it did 3 years ago. My Heavy metal element probably weighs twice what the onnex does. It feels cheap and the adjustments arent crisp. maybe i got a lemon, but i bet there's so many new shooters in the world that they just don't know what they are looking for and think a release is supposed to feel this way.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
I have the new Stan Onnex thumb and hinge. IMO the thumb isnt as crisp as the perfex I had before. The cocking mechanism isn’t smooth like the perfex but it does work. The trigger also doesn’t quite feel as crisp. I had a couple misfires also after having it setup and having already shot multiple arrows. The hinge instructions IMO could use some visual diagrams as far as adjusting and turning the thumb control/safety on and off. The training pin on both at first wouldn’t screw in and I forced it in both and now they are fine. The weight is noticeably heavier than the perfex lineup which I like.

·
Can't keep em straight
3,837 Posts
Holy crap, surprised to hear the negative feedback on the Onnex seeing as I loved the Perfex, but I'm glad people posted.

That thing costs the equivalent of 360 usd over here, bad quality or poor cs aren't acceptable at that price!
I may go scrounge a backup perfex instead.

·
Back Yard Champion
33,999 Posts
When did the sell happen? I have used an sx3 for years and have yet to find a better thumb button (other than the perfex long neck which marginally improved on the sx3). I hope they don’t take the nosedive in quality and reputation they appear to be on the trajectory for. When I was in the release market, they had the best product that was made at the time. It’s been good enough that I’ve never looked at replacing it.
D
I ordered a Stan Kuro in February of 2020. Lancaster had to order it. I got it in March of 2020. Right after no one could get a MoreX hinge as Lancaster didn't have any. This was when I learned of Doug selling his part of the business.
Doug sold me my first Stanislawski, a MagMicro Trio in large........

·
Registered
156 Posts
These are crazy stories…I‘ve been very happy with my Perfex Resistance and Thumb releases (2 of each). One of them had an issue similar to what someone else talked about — I’d start shooting it and it would get harder and harder to get it to break - I thought it was my form breaking down. Then one day I checked it with my draw scale and it turns out it would start out at my set rating (5 # above my hold weight) but as I shot it through a session it would increase until it was 28#. I could get it to release but only after pulling really hard…and if I waited an hour the setting would be back at 5# above my hold weight again…I sent it back to Stan and they had it back about a week later and that release has been perfect ever since - it’s got more than 15,000 shots on it since last year and no malfuncions. I sure do hope they fix their QC and CS…I wouldn’t mind getting an Onnex but for now my Perfex’s are perfects (pun intended).

·
Registered
317 Posts
Sorry for not clarifying. The general quality didnt seem to match the perfex, it would miss fire very often (a very scary amount), when trying to set how hot it was, it was either super hot or super cold with no in between. Also, when pressing the button to lock it, it felt like something was grinding which I was told was normal from lancaster archery. Both were purchased in store at lancaster archery.
I had the same misfire issues with the Perfex. Would go off by itself if set too hot. Doesn't look like Stan has fixed that yet by your feedback.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
I have 4 Onnex Thumbs (two aluminums and two heavy metals) and none of them have this issue. My Large aluminum can slip if I press up on the cocking button, but 1/16 turn on the travel adjustment back from the factory setting and that goes away.

Either you got a dud and the internals are faulty, or you're setting it with insufficient sear engagement.

I'm willing to bet if you back off the travel screw, the misfire issue may disappear. The tension issue sounds like the spring is stuck under something and not giving you the full range of travel. If the company won't try to fix it, I'd crack it open and take a look.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I have 4 Onnex Thumbs (two aluminums and two heavy metals) and none of them have this issue. My Large aluminum can slip if I press up on the cocking button, but 1/16 turn on the travel adjustment back from the factory setting and that goes away.

Either you got a dud and the internals are faulty, or you're setting it with insufficient sear engagement.

I'm willing to bet if you back off the travel screw, the misfire issue may disappear. The tension issue sounds like the spring is stuck under something and not giving you the full range of travel. If the company won't try to fix it, I'd crack it open and take a look.
Correction, I must have got two duds. I thought I could tune out the issues as well but after attempting to do so I took it to my local shop. They couldnt resolve to so I drove back up to lancaster archery and they couldnt resolve the issues either. This series of events happened twice. One time and Im willing to forgive especially after shooting a perfex for so long.... but two!?

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I have never had any issues with their customer service. I recently sent my perfex back because the finger extension bar on the release broke off and my thumb barrel kept spinning on me even after buying new shafts and barrels. I had it back in a week and everything was fixed on it. I have a Onnex Hinge right now and the only issue from the factory was that the training pin won't fit into the head. I just haven't sent it back to them yet because of the classes I'm taking after this weekend it will go back.

Funny, I had the same issues with my perfex and they told me to go pound sand. Which is the reason why I ended up trying a Onnex. They would have to do a lot of improvement and customer outreach to get me to shoot Stan again.....

·
Back Yard Champion
33,999 Posts
TTT

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
its not that the release is so, so bad...its just that it seems like an odd departure in quality from they have come to be known for. I remember when i first moved from Carter over to STAN, my first thought was "wow this is such a more precise piece of equipment."

·
Registered
547 Posts
I purchased a brand-new Onnex thumb opened it up out of the package it had a Sharp bur where the finger extension mounts Release was real gritty.Sent it back. Called Stan Took three days to get a callback quality is gone went with a Carter Wise choice .

·
Registered
Bowtech Realm X and PSE Inertia 50lbs
5,866 Posts
Just a question from reading this thread, are there not other brands that make this type of release? It seems the Perfex and SX3 seems to break, also?

·
Registered
4 Posts
After my Stan Perfex failed I went looking for a new one and discovered Stan discontinued the Perfex. I have gone through two Stan Onnex releases and they are hands down some of the worst releases I have had. Took them to my shop to verify it wasnt just me, and received the same feedback.

Is anyone else having the same issues with the Onnex?
My Stan Xtinction 2 has a sear that fails every other shot or so. I reached out to Stan to see if they would rebuild for a fee or warranty the issue. I was told the release is discontinued, no parts, no service and no help would come from Stan. Great releases when they work but they lost a customer for sure. I now shoot a Carter.

·
Back Yard Champion
33,999 Posts
My Stan Xtinction 2 has a sear that fails every other shot or so. I reached out to Stan to see if they would rebuild for a fee or warranty the issue. I was told the release is discontinued, no parts, no service and no help would come from Stan. Great releases when they work but they lost a customer for sure. I now shoot a Carter.
When exactly did this take place, before the new owner, sometime in 2020, maybe 2021?

21 - 40 of 65 Posts