Archery Talk Forum banner
41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
After my Stan Perfex failed I went looking for a new one and discovered Stan discontinued the Perfex. I have gone through two Stan Onnex releases and they are hands down some of the worst releases I have had. Took them to my shop to verify it wasnt just me, and received the same feedback.

Is anyone else having the same issues with the Onnex?
I just recently got back into archery after 20+ years (just turned 64). Pulled out my bow case 7-8 months ago and had my 2000 Bowtech Generation 3 restrung, added wisker biscut and Hotwire sight, used my old Scott wrist strap. Kept trying to convince myself that I don't need no new fangled bow until I shot the Hoyt Ventum Pro 33 50-60#, immediately fell in love. Bought it, shoot every day weather permitting and recently replaced strings with GAS Ghost. Really appreciate the tech changes in bows going from 2000 to new tech!! I got the Onnex a little over a month ago and have had no problems and really like it. Made no changes to it other than slightly rotating thumb stud and use the small stud, just feels better for me. Have hundreds of arrows through it without complications. Their customer service is really good. Hade a self inflicted snafu with it. Had safety pin in place prscticing with it and at 2/3 of letdown it slipped out of my hand launching the release into my stone fireplace snapping off the thumb post attachment and scuffing the little whale tail extension. Emailed them for RMA, was honest with them and sent above to them. They fixed it, replaced the whale tail extension and did not charge me a dime, no shipping either. The release shrunk my groups substantially and have to say I do not think I could ever go back to a wrist, just my honest opinion.

·
Registered
26 Posts
After reading these post about the new Stan release, I am very glad to be shooting my Tru Bal Blade Pro flex Quicksilver. It is my main go to release for whatever I shoot. I know I will be staying with it.
I am actually looking into getting a thumb button release and I was up in the air between the Blade or an Onnex. STILL don't know. I played with the Blade at Lancaster and it was Fire! Still want to hold an Onnex in my hand before pulling the trigger, so to speak.

·
Back Yard Champion
33,999 Posts
I am actually looking into getting a thumb button release and I was up in the air between the Blade or an Onnex. STILL don't know. I played with the Blade at Lancaster and it was Fire! Still want to hold an Onnex in my hand before pulling the trigger, so to speak.
Try a Stan Shootoff or the long nose PrfeX. Both still available. If not another nail driven in Stan's coffin....

Reactions: archerdad32578

·
Back Yard Champion
33,999 Posts
Happened in 2021 on a release that I bought second hand. It worked like a charm for a while. After the sear failed (soft heat treat maybe) it was a total loss.
So, under the new management. Ain't sounding good.

Normally, most companies will replace a release with another if one is no longer made. TRU Ball did this for me. I had a extra ST360 and loaned to a friend. His kid tried to adjust it and screw up the sensitivity screw. TRU Ball couldn't fix so they sent me Absolute. ...Still have and still for sale. I don't like it $174 new and I have it for $90 TYD.

·
Back Yard Champion
33,999 Posts
Is Stan discontinuing both of those releases?
Truthfully, I don't know. The 2021-2022 Lancaster catalog shows both still with us along with other handheld release. Gone is the MoreX series of hinges.........

The Onnex is said a resistance release, thumb release and hinge and all based on the PrefeX. .

·
Registered
785 Posts
I believe the only releases they are currently making is the Onnex

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm not kidding here but if you want a really crisp inexpensive thumb release, check out Top Point Archery. It's a clone of a several hundred dollar release and it's money. You can set it light enough to go off if u breath on it or add some serious weight. For a $50-80 release it will compete with a Stan.
I had the Perfex tension release and couldn't ever get it to release at a consistent weight. Stan wasn't very helpful so I returned it. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
I'm not kidding here but if you want a really crisp inexpensive thumb release, check out Top Point Archery. It's a clone of a several hundred dollar release and it's money. You can set it light enough to go off if u breath on it or add some serious weight. For a $50-80 release it will compete with a Stan.
I had the Perfex tension release and couldn't ever get it to release at a consistent weight. Stan wasn't very helpful so I returned it. Good luck!
It's Topoint Archery, and it also represents stolen intellectual property. They also put out a clone of the TRU Ball HT Flex, and there's a reason they're not sold in stores in the US.

·
Registered
21 Posts
After my Stan Perfex failed I went looking for a new one and discovered Stan discontinued the Perfex. I have gone through two Stan Onnex releases and they are hands down some of the worst releases I have had. Took them to my shop to verify it wasnt just me, and received the same feedback.

Is anyone else having the same issues with the Onnex?
It's worked well for me.

·
Back Yard Champion
33,999 Posts
You are release aid Nostradamus. I definitely saw you predict issues before the Onnex ever shipped.
Not really a Nostradamus thing. My main concern was Stan dropping one of the finest hinges ever. When the Onnex didn't come as I was told I began to wonder. Okay, straight talk from those who are made aware. New man in charge of Stan, materials, Covid, labor and even packaging... Still, all seemed a bit lame. I wonder if a design problem, like R&D missing something that gave more delays.
Even as I type this people are still waiting for the clicker.....

·
Can't keep em straight
3,837 Posts
Topoint, as someone else said, and nah.
I've used their knockoffs here and there simply because some US companies really just can't be bothered exporting. God forbid they'd make money.
But the only thing I'd trust Topoint with is stabs. A release? Never, and that's coming from a customer who's actually happy with their stabs.

·
Registered
Biktarvy for prep
947 Posts
Not really a Nostradamus thing. My main concern was Stan dropping one of the finest hinges ever. When the Onnex didn't come as I was told I began to wonder. Okay, straight talk from those who are made aware. New man in charge of Stan, materials, Covid, labor and even packaging... Still, all seemed a bit lame. I wonder if a design problem, like R&D missing something that gave more delays.
Even as I type this people are still waiting for the clicker.....
Fair enough. I didn't remember the context. I just remembered you predicting problems. I was thinking it was a bold call at the time with Stan's proud history. The I saw this thread and thought to myself, "damn, Sonny was right."

·
Back Yard Champion
33,999 Posts
Is Stan discontinuing both of those releases?
Finally got on the Lancaster website. Prices slashed by $90, $100 and more on PerfeX Long Neck, PerfeX Long neck Blackout, Element, Shootoff, SX3. Meaning they are being discontinued? Some models showing 4 to 14 on-hand.

Reactions: archerdad32578

·
Having a crappy day?
2,291 Posts
So a tension release? Last week some one had issues. Said it went "tink,tink, tink before it fired." Never came back to say if it was fixed or went away.
I can’t hear it but my 10 year and 13 yr old can. For what it’s worth he can hear the Element also. But my boys can also hear gun triggers move too.
Except for my daughters trigger tech trigger in her Remington 700.
Or he is just full of crap and wanted my cheap Element I bought for myself. Which is what he has declared is his. So I am going to be using the OnneX.
So I don’t think there is anything wrong with the OnneX releases we got. 13 year old jumped from a 290 best on a Vegas face to a 299 with the one that was out a judgement call. Ten year old jumped from 285 to 287 with 12 or so Xs. He was hitting right the entire time.

·
Having a crappy day?
2,291 Posts
Found it. I guess he got it going, but with upping the firing weight. The Poster doesn't name the release, but he's the same one that's posted of the Onnex review and his 2 kids, 10 and 13 years. I don't accept this as a review, but accept it as a father feeling real proud of his sons.

Pros rant and rave of what release they use, but then most are getting something back in return. No one has ever won big or made a name for himself because of the use of a particular release.

See my post above. They couldn’t hear it set at about 15 lbs. Set it on down to 12 or 13lbs they could hear it. I couldn’t and I bet no other adult could. My wife’s family are freaks when it comes to eyesight and hearing. Like my brother in law can count deer at night. Zero light no moon. Plumb crazy. The other night at his house he spotted a black possum on wet black dirt at 1875 yards. I had to use a 36 power scope to see it and it was almost totally dark out.
Anyway…. LOL

·
Registered
429 Posts
Finally got on the Lancaster website. Prices slashed by $90, $100 and more on PerfeX Long Neck, PerfeX Long neck Blackout, Element, Shootoff, SX3. Meaning they are being discontinued? Some models showing 4 to 14 on-hand.
I picked up one of the on sale shootoffs about a month ago. My first quality thumb release after trying a few entry level thumbs. I'm very happy with it so far. Only downside was the trainer lock pin disappeared after my first few shots, but I don't believe I would have ever used it anyway.

41 - 60 of 65 Posts