Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was the owner of 4 Stan release (all Perfex, two thumb, and two Resistance), and I’ve tried the new Onnex Resistance at Lancaster. I have been considering getting an Onnex, but was a bit leery of the thread about problems with the Onnex release. I've shot a lot through the Perfex Thumb and Resistance release (thousands of shots through them) and I love them. Not only do I love them but so does my son...I originally got him a Truball thumb release and he liked it but he liked the adjustability of my Perfex better. Being the indulgent father I let my son take my Perfex thumb and I got a second one so I have two Resistance and Thumb releases to use. In 2020 I started with the thumb then moved to resistance to help train my form...having done many shots with the resistance release I felt good about my shooting so went back to a thumb with my elk hunting trip coming up. I've been shooting well but now I felt a bit nervous that I only have 1 thumb release (my son owning the other Perfex). So I decided to bite the bullet and get an Onnex.

First impressions is that it's packaged nicer than the Perfex releases I've bought...a nicer cardboard box versus a plastic package. Second, it's a more substantial feeling release. I had to check the box to make sure it was a standard release and not a Heavy release. Size wise it's a Medium and a good match in size to the Perfex in terms of finger placement. Very solid feeling release, I've always liked the Perfex but next to the Onnex my Perfex almost feels too light now (although I don't care for the Heavy version of the Perfex). The index finger is more of a hook than the one on the Perfex which is nice, it feels like a compromise between the enclosed index finger hook and the open design of a lot of handhelds and less likely to slip out of my hand. The lack of a hole for a cord/lanyard was solved when I used the slot on the finger extension to thread some BCY #24 through (see below).

Shooting wise it's excellent. Very adjustable and I was able to fine tune it over several sessions to settings that I really like. I also love the 3 finger extension with the whale tail (actually that's another reason I decided to buy one, I didn't realize why the 3 finger extension looked like that until someone on AT pointed it out as a rest for the pinky finger), it gives me a natural place for me to put my pinky finger. I've put several hundred shots through it with no issues at all, and this will be my go-to release for my elk hunt at the end of this month.

In all I think it was a great purchase, I think it retains the goodness of the Perfex but with added enhancements that make it my current favorite release, plus it's been rock sold reliable so far. Keeping my fingers crossed it stays that way but if not I now have my Perfex thumb (as well as 2 Perfex resistance) release as a backup.
Slope Font Art Fashion accessory Auto part

·
Can't keep em straight
4,600 Posts
I was the owner of 4 Stan release (all Perfex, two thumb, and two Resistance), and I’ve tried the new Onnex Resistance at Lancaster. I have been considering getting an Onnex, but was a bit leery of the thread about problems with the Onnex release. I've shot a lot through the Perfex Thumb and Resistance release (thousands of shots through them) and I love them. Not only do I love them but so does my son...I originally got him a Truball thumb release and he liked it but he liked the adjustability of my Perfex better. Being the indulgent father I let my son take my Perfex thumb and I got a second one so I have two Resistance and Thumb releases to use. In 2020 I started with the thumb then moved to resistance to help train my form...having done many shots with the resistance release I felt good about my shooting so went back to a thumb with my elk hunting trip coming up. I've been shooting well but now I felt a bit nervous that I only have 1 thumb release (my son owning the other Perfex). So I decided to bite the bullet and get an Onnex.

First impressions is that it's packaged nicer than the Perfex releases I've bought...a nicer cardboard box versus a plastic package. Second, it's a more substantial feeling release. I had to check the box to make sure it was a standard release and not a Heavy release. Size wise it's a Medium and a good match in size to the Perfex in terms of finger placement. Very solid feeling release, I've always liked the Perfex but next to the Onnex my Perfex almost feels too light now (although I don't care for the Heavy version of the Perfex). The index finger is more of a hook than the one on the Perfex which is nice, it feels like a compromise between the enclosed index finger hook and the open design of a lot of handhelds and less likely to slip out of my hand. The lack of a hole for a cord/lanyard was solved when I used the slot on the finger extension to thread some BCY #24 through (see below).

Shooting wise it's excellent. Very adjustable and I was able to fine tune it over several sessions to settings that I really like. I also love the 3 finger extension with the whale tail (actually that's another reason I decided to buy one, I didn't realize why the 3 finger extension looked like that until someone on AT pointed it out as a rest for the pinky finger), it gives me a natural place for me to put my pinky finger. I've put several hundred shots through it with no issues at all, and this will be my go-to release for my elk hunt at the end of this month.

In all I think it was a great purchase, I think it retains the goodness of the Perfex but with added enhancements that make it my current favorite release, plus it's been rock sold reliable so far. Keeping my fingers crossed it stays that way but if not I now have my Perfex thumb (as well as 2 Perfex resistance) release as a backup. View attachment 7669786
I don't... get it. It's nice that it's heavier but you don't normally like heavier but this heavier is better heavier but also they packaged it in a cardboard box which is better because it's a very good cardboard box?
You're nervous about having only one thumb release as backup but it's ok because you still have a thumb release as backup?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't... get it. It's nice that it's heavier but you don't normally like heavier but this heavier is better heavier but also they packaged it in a cardboard box which is better because it's a very good cardboard box?
You're nervous about having only one thumb release as backup but it's ok because you still have a thumb release as backup?
I should have expressed myself better. It's not as heavy as the Heavy version of the Perfex releases, which to me felt too heavy. It's in between the two as far as I can tell so it strikes a nice medium. Better?

As for the backup, I did not have a backup thumb release. My son has one of the Perfex thumb releases. I have the other Perfex thumb releases. Now I have the Onnex. So...Onnex=Primary, Perfex thumb=backup. Got it?

·
Registered
325 Posts
I have a heavy metal Perfex thumb and bought the same in an Onnex as a backup and so far really like it. My only gripe is the index finger opening is too tight for my fat finger but other than that it's great with no issues so far. Between the 2 I like the Perfex a little better because of the more open index finger placement.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Why do you keep shilling for the stan onnex?
Do you also like the cardboard package that much?
Why do you keep following me around?
Do you... want a little kiss?
God, I'll feel dirty but if it really makes you feel better about accidentally buying a 280 dollar release, I'll pinch my nose and close my eyes.
Wow…Little Buddy, someone needs some attention tonight, are you struggling with some self esteem issues?

Answers to your questions below Little Buddy:

(1) Onnex are very nice releases. If your Mommy or Daddy won’t buy you an Onnex then work harder and save your money for one.

(2) The Onnex packaging is awesome. It makes the Onnex feel very exclusive, like only talented archers (like me) should have one, not mediocre cry babies who can’t afford one.

(3) Again, self esteem issues I believe. I’m surly not “following you around” you post insignificant comments every thread I read. Why not just be quiet and save us from reading your attempt to sound funny?

(4) I don’t know what to say other then you are making me and others here feel very uncomfortable.
Maybe talk to a therapist about your gender identity issues?

Have a good night there Little Buddy

·
Registered
478 Posts

In all I think it was a great purchase, I think it retains the goodness of the Perfex but with added enhancements that make it my current favorite release, plus it's been rock sold reliable so far. Keeping my fingers crossed it stays that way but if not I now have my Perfex thumb (as well as 2 Perfex resistance) release as a backup. View attachment 7669786
I have the onnex and really like it, put small grip tape in finger holes, I was between medium and larger. The cord you have, is that hole for that or did you just think of it, I assume you've had no issues with it having the strap.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have the onnex and really like it, put small grip tape in finger holes, I was between medium and larger. The cord you have, is that hole for that or did you just think of it, I assume you've had no issues with it having the strap.
It was the existing hole / slot for the extension, I was trying to figure out how to put a lanyard on it and was almost going to drill a hole in the trigger setting lever when I noticed the slot. No problems at all with the cord being there, I think it works great.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I have 3 Perfex thumb releases and bought the OnneX a few months ago. The OnneX is fine and very similar to the Perfex. They both anchor identical. Like I said before, they dropped the ball in 2 places IMO. The first, is there is no lanyard hole. The second is this pin in the picture that holds the hook is exposed on the Onnex and not sealed like it is on the Perfex. Mine, started to work itself out and I had to tap it back in. The second time I put a small drop of blue loctite on it and it hasn't moved since.

Crankset Wood Bicycle part Gear Art

1 - 14 of 14 Posts