Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put up a stand in a new spot this year. The area is a ditch that is pretty much dry, except for a decent sized hole that holds water pretty well. This year the hole has been wet constantly and I also put a Trophy Rock on the edge of the hole earlier this spring that has discipated into the water, so the deer hit it hard. Anyway, the ditch runs between two fields of corn, and the timber is about 20-40 yards wide at that spot, so it creates a great funnel. I have numerous pictures of deer from the area and when I went out the other day to hang the stand, I saw a hoof print in the mud that has me really excited (no picture, as I took the camera down a week ago to let the area settle)

I have about 3 choices for access, one of which involves walking about 300 yards across an open field (once the corn is picked) from the east, the second is walking along the field edge at the edge of the timber for about 1000 yards from the south, and the other involves accessing the area via the ditch from the south.

My question is this, do you think it is better to walk in an open field where you are easily seen from great distances, walk along the egde of the timber, or to walk right though trying to keep as quiet and stealthy as possible?

·
Registered
240 Posts
You never mentioned what wind direction you need to hunt this area, but all other factors considered I would use the ditch itself for access. I use the drainages on my place to slip quietly in and out of stand sites located on or near the ditches. Mine are pretty deep and usually hold water, so I wear a pair of chest waders. I keep logs and blowdowns cleared out with a pole saw and use ropes tied to trees to climb the banks. It's cool to be able to go into an area without making noise, without being seen and without leaving any scent. Ive used this tactic with great success over the years.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ideally, I will hunt it when the wind is blowing from anywhere but straight north or south. Deer rarely enter the area from the fields, so they'll be coming down the ditch from due north or south.

·
Registered
240 Posts
That info changes things a bit. The open field to the east my be your best option, especially if there is little chance of bumping the deer. Simply put, choose the route that best avoids alerting deer to your presence.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Do the deer use this ditch. If they do, for morning hunts I would come in across the cornfield. For evening hunts, skirt edges or something like that. Sounds like you have been watching this area, access it where you least think you will bother the deer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts