Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to post a picture with this, hopefully it works.

This is an image of a big field (obviously) on the land I hunt on. I know exactly where the deer are coming from and I know that there is an absolute monster in the area that we have seen a few times in the past few weeks. The path that most deer are using is shown in yellow, but the deer have also been using the paths in green and blue. Two nights ago I watched a young buck with a lot of promise walk the yellow path right past a ground blind I built about a month ago (Circle #1). This deer is a mainframe 8pt. just outside his ears but like I mentioned is still young. The big buck walked out on the same yellow path but only took a step onto the field before turning right back around. The problem is that there is an ice shack (Circle #2) in prime position, but getting out of the stand at night would definitely spook all deer that are in the field after light. This big buck is the deer of a lifetime, a HUGE 10pt. (Mainframe 8 with 2 drops!!!) but as we only see him on a rare occasion, is it worth sitting in stand #1 and risking the promise of the spot? My dad scouted the field again last night and said all the deer came out again by the shack and walked the yellow/green path. I would hang a stand in the corner, but after talking to the land owner this isn't a possiblity. I guess I'm just looking for any advice you can give me...should I sit in the shack waitng for the chance he shows up but risk spooking the deer? Should I just hang out in stand #1 and hope he walks the corner of the field?

HELP!

Attachments

·
Banned
1,220 Posts
I tried to post a picture with this, hopefully it works.

This is an image of a big field (obviously) on the land I hunt on. I know exactly where the deer are coming from and I know that there is an absolute monster in the area that we have seen a few times in the past few weeks. The path that most deer are using is shown in yellow, but the deer have also been using the paths in green and blue. Two nights ago I watched a young buck with a lot of promise walk the yellow path right past a ground blind I built about a month ago (Circle #1). This deer is a mainframe 8pt. just outside his ears but like I mentioned is still young. The big buck walked out on the same yellow path but only took a step onto the field before turning right back around. The problem is that there is an ice shack (Circle #2) in prime position, but getting out of the stand at night would definitely spook all deer that are in the field after light. This big buck is the deer of a lifetime, a HUGE 10pt. (Mainframe 8 with 2 drops!!!) but as we only see him on a rare occasion, is it worth sitting in stand #1 and risking the promise of the spot? My dad scouted the field again last night and said all the deer came out again by the shack and walked the yellow/green path. I would hang a stand in the corner, but after talking to the land owner this isn't a possiblity. I guess I'm just looking for any advice you can give me...should I sit in the shack waitng for the chance he shows up but risk spooking the deer? Should I just hang out in stand #1 and hope he walks the corner of the field?

HELP!
This sounds like the perfect scenario for a good grunt caller and/or a decoy. I would wait a bit and let it get a bit closer to the rut, but in early Oct. a few does will come into estrous. Take advantage of it.

·
Banned
2,779 Posts
You should make a rock solid decision which one you will sit in right now... then at the last minute sit in
the other location. because whatever you decide, you'll be watching a group of monster bucks playing Euchre
right in front of the other spot. ;)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"whatever you decide, you'll be watching a group of monster bucks playing Euchre right in front of the other spot."

Yeah, that will likely be my luck...haha...

I mean I knew that we have a few nice bucks in the area...but when I saw this deer I almost sh*t myself! I've been in the woods hunting since as long as I can remember, but I've never seen an animal of this size...I wish I had a picture to share with everybody...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts