Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question from a newbie in Manitoba Can. I hunt public land, about 100sq km of it to be exact. Jack-pine, poplar, scrub oaks and cedar swamps. Gets clear cut on a regular basis. There are some natural pastures but many too large to set up on for the bow season.
Should I be setting up on the smaller natural pastures or in the thick stands of pines? With that much space to hunt its hard to decide where to set up. There might be 2 or 3 other people out w/bows but I never see them. Baiting is illegal and I've found that the deer just walk and feed on everything...... foodsource is just about everything

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Hunt funnel areas or natural pinches leading to the pastures the deer are using,

·
Registered
36 Posts
Setting up

Scout the trails leading to the pastures that are surely in the woods. If there is a road or trail along the front of the pasture -scout the back of the pasture maybe around the corners. Find a likely trail (or intersecting trails)with rubs, scat. Set up there. Get high out of the scent -if you can. A field or pasture may otherwise be too difficult because of the likely length of the shot you'll have to take. I'm sure others will have good ideas. Good luck.

all the best,
john

1 - 3 of 3 Posts