Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During spring break, I took a chance by hanging a stand with ladder steps on public land in Ohio. I was thinking there was a better than average chance no one would take it because I didn't see a soul in the woods until the late/last gun season.
Drove up there today, and no sign of stand. My fault for being stupid and nieve.

I've hunted public land several times and found some stands. I didn't bother them, I'm not a thief.
Just sad that hunters steal from hunters.

·
74,535 Posts
Im amazed how many stands are left year round in the public land across from my lease. Im honestly proud of some of the hunters there to just leave what dont belong to you.

Thiefs suck!
DB

·
Registered
23,628 Posts
I might think..perhaps..alot of these stands are stolen to be sold as scrap metal. Copper piping thefts are a HUGE problem out here in NY...any metal left unattended is prime to be boosted and scrapped.

·
Let the Arrow Fly
5,487 Posts
If i ever find the people that have stolen my stands...it wont look pretty when im done..but it sucks this stuff happens.

·
74,535 Posts
I might think..perhaps..alot of these stands are stolen to be sold as scrap metal. Copper piping thefts are a HUGE problem out here in NY...any metal left unattended is prime to be boosted and scrapped.
Amazing how many of my oilfield buddys are getting ripped off from pipe that been sitting in fields for years and most likely they might have given it to them for free. LOL

DB

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
I agree i hate thieves i dont bother nobodys stands, i dknt care if people hunt.my stand just please dont take em.ya know whag i mean

·
TreeRatNation Lead Rat
6,829 Posts
Well ever who stole your stand aint a hunter at all he /she is a pure eefffin lowlife SOB and dont ever need to be called a hunter.. I am feelin your pain from several of mine that have beeen stolen over the years. Its a good thing I havent caught them cause i would be the one in jail for what woudl happen..!!

·
Registered
225 Posts
thieves suck.. had a landowner i have permission to hunt on tell me to lock my stands up because he had one stolen last year.. And that was on private property..

·
74,535 Posts
If i ever find the people that have stolen my stands...it wont look pretty when im done..but it sucks this stuff happens.
If it happens on my lease. Im going to sit some hidden cameras and Ill find out who stealing them and will post a full page add with there picture in local newspaper.
DB

·
13,801 Posts
During spring break, I took a chance by hanging a stand with ladder steps on public land in Ohio. I was thinking there was a better than average chance no one would take it because I didn't see a soul in the woods until the late/last gun season.
Drove up there today, and no sign of stand. My fault for being stupid and nieve.

I've hunted public land several times and found some stands. I didn't bother them, I'm not a thief.
Just sad that hunters steal from hunters.

I got your texts today while at work Jerry makes me sick about your stand man probably the same jerk who stole my covert II out of there earlier this summer. I need to go out there and check on my two stands that are hopefully still out there. Check you PM's you have some trailcam pics of a couple of buck from that spot hopefully they will brighten your day :D :D

·
Registered
685 Posts
I believe its illegal to leave a stand in the woods on public hunting grounds. May wanna check out the laws. Im not for sure but am pretty sure. My buddy left a stand in the woods last year that he didnt care about possibly losing on public. We went out and it was physically cut apart to get off the tree. I mean it was a 25 dollar junk hang on stand. ONly to find out his uncle had cut it down. I wanted to bash his pot smoking white teeth out and my buddy just laughed about it. his uncle drags it out of the truck in pieces and hands it to him. Needless to say i lost all respect for his uncle and still refuse to even make eye contact with him. What really ticks me off is the guy hunts properties every year that he has no permission to hunt and takes huge deer every single year. Im talking 160-220 in deer. Just drives me crazy

·
13,801 Posts
I believe its illegal to leave a stand in the woods on public hunting grounds. May wanna check out the laws. Im not for sure but am pretty sure. My buddy left a stand in the woods last year that he didnt care about possibly losing on public. We went out and it was physically cut apart to get off the tree. I mean it was a 25 dollar junk hang on stand. ONly to find out his uncle had cut it down. I wanted to bash his pot smoking white teeth out and my buddy just laughed about it. his uncle drags it out of the truck in pieces and hands it to him. Needless to say i lost all respect for his uncle and still refuse to even make eye contact with him. What really ticks me off is the guy hunts properties every year that he has no permission to hunt and takes huge deer every single year. Im talking 160-220 in deer. Just drives me crazy
Perfectly legal in Ohio...you just can't build permanate stands.

·
Registered
28,220 Posts
I perform home inspections for a living. Every once in a while, a vacant house will be broken into and the perps will steal copper piping, copper wiring, and copper AC piping. They'll steal the eyeballs out of your head if they could get 2 bits for them.

If it's illegal to leave stands up in the offseason on public land in your state, your stand may not have been stolen. If a WCO spotted it or it was reported to them, they may have taken it.

·
Registered
23,628 Posts
I perform home inspections for a living. Every once in a while, a vacant house will be broken into and the perps will steal copper piping, copper wiring, and copper AC piping. They'll steal the eyeballs out of your head if they could get 2 bits for them.
My department responds to at least 2 a day...usually more!

·
13,801 Posts

If it's illegal to leave stands up in the offseason on public land in your state, your stand may not have been stolen. If a WCO spotted it or it was reported to them, they may have taken it.
Its legal in Ohio have stands already up and ready to go on public land...I had my trail camera stolen out of the same exact block of timber the OP had his stand in...Its pretty the culture of the people around here to steal practically anything you leave in the woods they feel like they are entitiled to it or something.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I got an old cheap seat treestand that I put out on public land. I try to get it in a pine tree so I can use the limbs to get into it. I hope somebody takes that thing. Most uncomfortable thing I ever hunted out of.:cool:

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
I once heard of a guy dont recall his name?
Had some stands stolen? I think he said he took some older stands sawed them into and super glued them back together? I think?
Waited to read local paper and maybe there was a freak treestand accident in it?
Maybe ? not hard to stop this?
IDK just what I might thought I heard????????????????????????????????????????????????

·
Registered
13,398 Posts
Its legal in Ohio have stands already up and ready to go on public land...I had my trail camera stolen out of the same exact block of timber the OP had his stand in...Its pretty the culture of the people around here to steal practically anything you leave in the woods they feel like they are entitiled to it or something.
It doesn't exactly say when you can put them back up but you do have to remove stands by the last day of archery season on ohio public lands. http://www.ohiodnr.com/wildlife/dow/regulations/hunting_deer.aspx#tree_stands

·
13,801 Posts
It doesn't exactly say when you can put them back up but you do have to remove stands by the last day of archery season on ohio public lands. http://www.ohiodnr.com/wildlife/dow/regulations/hunting_deer.aspx#tree_stands
Well I always pull my stands before shotgun season so I am good there but I always put them back out right after turkey season ...there is honestly no way in hell that a DNR officer walked back into this spot and found his treestand and decied to take it down my cam was less than 300 yards from the same spot. The state workers are so lazy in this particular area that there is mounds up on mounds of trash dumped at pretty much every pull off and the won't even clean it up. I just don' want people thinking the OP did something illegal when he clearly didn't.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
hunters dont steal from hunters. crooks steal from hunters

1 - 20 of 48 Posts