Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post and hoping someone can point me in the right direction. Visited several local archery stores and was not impressed with selection or knowledge regarding traditional archery.

I would like a longbow or recurve in the $300 range for hunting and target shooting. Any recommendations? I'm new to bow shooting so any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Robert

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Read as much as you can so you understand draw length and draw weight and how it will effect your choices in bow length.
Then search the classifieds and eBay. You should be able to find two bows for that.
One light enough for target and one in a hunting weight.
That or buy a takedown, or ILF rig so you can set it up with different length and weight limbs for whatever you need it to do.

·
Registered
13 Posts
What was already suggested above about draw length but I don't know about getting two bows for $300 ? I guess it depends on the quality you are looking for. I wouldn't start off very heavy, learm form first, and that's going to take awhile, don't rush it and in the long run you won't regret it !

Good luck, and welcome to the light side of the force, just kidding.

·
Civil but Disobedient
7,248 Posts
I would stick to something new, or used from a trusted source for a first bow. eBay can be good for a first bow if you get some help from someone that knows bows. Even then, there are no guarantees that the bow will be shootable. There are a lot of sellers who pick up bows but know nothing about them.

$300 puts you at the higher end of the standard basic production bow market. You can get a good Samick for that cost from Lancaster Archery supply. You can also put together an entry level ILF bow, such as a Cartel Fantom with SF Axiom Plus limbs. If you go ILF you will also have to budget a string, and either a rest or pad and strike plate. Learning is easier with a rest. A fast flight string and a Hoyt Super Rest can be purchased together for about $20. Getting something that allows you to change limbs will give you more flexibility. You will not outgrow the bow. You will need some other stuff as well. Are you looking at spending $300 on the bow, or for everything you need?

Let us know if we are getting close. We can fine tune once we know which direction you are leaning. I am sure Viper will come in with his list of starter bow equipment. Viper is a good resource. Many folks will tell you to get his book Shooting the Stickbow. It is a good book and very comprehensive.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
If you want two inexpensive wood bows, I see plenty of early bear Grizzly's in 50-60 pound range in the $125, $150 price range. That covers your hunting bow.
A new Samick journey with 25-30# limbs covers your target needs.

Now if ILF and a metal riser is on the menu.
LAS has the Samick Avante riser marked down to $129.99 a set of SF Axiom limbs $79 the Samick Privilege limbs are $89.
So a little over $200 gets you riser and limbs. Another $15 for a string. $2.50 for a hoyt super rest.
Just need some arrows spined for the limb weight you choose and your shooting a home made target of some kind.

If it were me buying new, I'd go ILF. I'd get a SF forged plus riser 23" in dark grey, and some medium limbs for a 66" bow.

So much depends on all the info about yourself you haven't given us.

·
Registered
9,394 Posts
Save yourself to e

If you want to go new call John Wert at Trad Tech LAS and tell him your needs

What you will get is a setup now that has arrows that will work and there will be.no guessing on weather it's setup right

If you want used by a book like shooting the stick bow which is not a bad idea even if you call John

Get an understanding of what you want and need and than move in that direction

300 bucks will get you into a nice bow

·
Registered
58 Posts
FWIW, I am a real noob. I ended up with a Samick Sage, only because the archery shop did not have any other bows at the 30lb draw weight when I bought mine. Spent another $100 on arrows,tab and arm guard. (you can get by with less if you only get 6 arrows but they do break so I got a dozen).

I don't regret it at all. It has been a great learning tool and as I progress I find myself very happy with it. Now saving up for a Kegan longbow. :)

I would call Lancaster or 3Rivers and have them set you up. Be sure to give them ALL the information about what you want. Such as do you want to become a target shooter or hunter? Or are you just interested in the sport and don't know where it will take you? etc, etc.

Otherwise, 'listen' to what these smart guys in here are telling you. And buy Viper1's book, "Shooting theStickbow". I got it for Nook and best bang for the buck out there ($10).

charlie

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Little more information.

1) Right eye dominant

2) Right handed

3) 29" draw length ( wingspan / 2.5 )

4) Not sure on draw weight but want to hunt deer in Kansas and Missouri.

5) 6'2" 190lbs

6) Have not shot a bow in years.

I ordered "Shooting the Stickbow" on Amazon and should have it in a couple of days. Before locating this forum I was leaning towards the Martin Jaguar, Panther or Saber. How do these bows rank for a beginner?

I appreciate the help and advice. Thanks...

Robert

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Little more information.

1) Right eye dominant

2) Right handed

3) 29" draw length ( wingspan / 2.5 )

4) Not sure on draw weight but want to hunt deer in Kansas and Missouri.

5) 6'2" 190lbs

6) Have not shot a bow in years.

I ordered "Shooting the Stickbow" on Amazon and should have it in a couple of days. Before locating this forum I was leaning towards the Martin Jaguar, Panther or Saber. How do these bows rank for a beginner?

I appreciate the help and advice. Thanks...

Robert

Those are generally regarded as a bit too reflexed for new shooters.
Less forgiving for target shooters, they lean more towards the hunters looking for an inexpensive recurve option.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
With 300 bucks, I would look into LAS and see what they recommend for my specs or with a little more - Omega Longbows for a custom built . Both have great customer service. I would start with a take down and go with light limbs. Then once I felt comfortable I would move up to hunting weight limbs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts