Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never bow hunted, but this year I went to a few hunting shows where I had an opportunity to shoot--and my sons, too. We really enjoyed it. Do you have any recommendations for a starter bow--one for my sons and one for me? They're 11, 9 and 7 years old. My 11 year old might be the only one big enough.

·
JB WELD PRO STAFFER
13,206 Posts
For you I would recomend the PSE BRUTE!!!

Easy to shoot and great performance at a very respectable price.

For the kids I highly recomend you go to parkers web site and see what they have! Also the Pse Chaos and Bear Young gun!!!! High performance rigs

·
JB WELD PRO STAFFER
13,206 Posts
Here is some big advice! Go to local shops look around shoot a bunch and see what YOU like! You may find some 08-09 models which would be alot cheaper! Shootem all and then come one here and tell us what you like

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
The 11 year old would have no problem fitting into a Hoyt Trykon Jr.

The 9 year old would also probably be ok with it. My 8 year old was boarderline with that model, it was just a little too much bow for him yet.

However the Diamond Nuclear Ice package is very very user friendly for him. Your 7 year old would likely do very very well with it. Get some better arrows with it, as the 3 that come with it are okish at best.

For you, I agree with the above post, hang around a couple of pro shops, talk to the guys there, and develop some preferences.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Athens of course. Why not have the best features of all bows on your first bow right from the start? SRM

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
In the past I have sold a lot of youth bows, only for the parents to come in and say that the "youth" gave it up! You might want to consider the used market for a while, until you are sure. I am not one to turn a customer down and I have both new and used but as a dad I would consider that myself.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts