Archery Talk Forum banner

Starter bow, what would you choose?

670 Views 13 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  possum boy
My daughter wants a bow for Christmas! She is only 6, so it will have to be some sort of beginner bow with very low poundage. She told me she doesn't want a "toy" bow, it has to look like mine! I was hoping to get some ideas from you guys for what to get her. Was looking at spending less than $50. Thanks

Meat
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Retired GI "still serv'n"
13,967 Posts
I bought a Fred Bear Explorer and Turbo Fire and I would not recommend them unless you know your kid can shoot at a 20" draw length...they arereasonably priced but, For my two; way too long on the draw, although they can draw the wieght it still pulls way past thier heads.

I would look into getting a Genesis (mini or regular) or a Whisper Creek Phanton that you can pull constant at any draw length.
A lil more $$ but, they seem like the ticket for a kid that will grow and for a younger kid to start out with that might only be able to get a 15" draw on the bow at so young of an age.
Thier might be others out there, in fact I am looking myself. :wink:

· Registered
1,829 Posts
My 6 year old has been shooting a miniGenesis for the last year. I would like to move him up to a Mission Menace - only because I know without a doubt he will be persuing hunting. The miniGenesis is a GREAT shooting bow.

But there are tons of super adjustable youth bows around.

· Registered
82 Posts
id say a Mini Genesis is the way to go but theyre more than the $50 mark your wanting to spend
My 6yr old has one and we love it. I am going to have him shoot it until he max's out the lbs then maybe a trykon jr of something. But we have a few years until that. Best thing he could have gotten.

· Registered
111 Posts
Try finding a used bow that is older. I gave my martin tiger to my local archery store many years ago when I bought my Cybercat. Most of those bows go real cheap but they are good just old. Try pawn shops also and put the words out in your local archery clubs near you. Even put a ad here and on the other achery forums you will find one it will just take some time.

Tamara

· Registered
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good advice

Good advice Cybercat. I have a few Sporting goods/pawn shops in my area. I will give them a try. If Christmas gets closer and I haven't found one locally, I will try a post here.

Meat

· Registered
256 Posts
truthfully for $50 your gonna get a toy bow pretty much, some of the bear packages or there are some plastic longbows that ive shot before that cost about $30 and then u need arrows and such but much more than a toyish compound.
+1

You will be hard pressed at a range of $50. We discovered that when looking for our 6 year olds first bow. We ended up spending the money and getting the Whisper Creek Phantom, it will run about $130. But it was money well spent. Nice little bow, and it will last him for a good while. I would recommend something like this, or the Darton Ranger, or older Hoyt Banshee. The Genesis bows are nice, but they are heavier and have no draw stop. They are a great thing if you need to have a bow that will work for multiple kids, but with only one kid I don't think the pro's outweigh the con's.

· Registered
818 Posts
That was $150 for the WC, dear....:wink:

You might want to look into the new Martin Tiger if you need something around $50. It won't look just like yours, but it's decent for that age range and if you're not really sure she'll want to stick with it.

If you can afford more, I would definately look at the WC Phantom, an older Martin Tiger (not the newer plastic thing), or a Darton Ranger. Our 6 year old had a tough time with the Genesis as it's a pretty heavy bow. They do make a Mini version for the same price....but it won't last her as long draw weight wise.

· Registered
828 Posts
Mathews Genisis? Little more spendy but they are something she can grow into.
srry but i HATED that bow. it was my first "real" bow. too heavy and i hated the fact that it had no draw stop. i recomend for the price you're looking at, the hunter dan bow is pretty good, it does'nt look like a toy. the mini genesis is a bit better than the original.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.