Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone out there ever start an Archery Club at a local Park District or Health Club?

I would like to approach my local Park District about starting an Archery Club at one of their facilities.

I want to gather as much information as possible before approaching them. What types of topics should I look into?

ie. Insurance, City Laws, etc...

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
I approached our city parks and rec board a couple of years ago about getting a club started.

THe questions they asked me were how much land is needed, what type of liabilty insurance will you carry etc.

I put together a package and presented it to them. However, before everything was finalized I was asked to run a club on a local military reservation.

ASA had the best insurance program for my needs. They have 2 million of liability coverage for $275. If you have 10 ASA members then all you owe is $25.00. NFAAs insurace is not bad either.

I would recommend a bare bones minimum of 30 acres for a 3D or field range. Bigger is definitely better.

One problem you might run into is selling memberships on city property. We went around that by offering the zeroing in bales to anyone and having a daily users fee to use the course.

WHat I have found out is that the parks and rec dept wants any kind of sport. Our town is aout to build a skate park. So most towns are approachable with new ideas. I think it makes their dept look better if they can say, we have softball, baseball, golf, ... archery etc.

Don't let negative people discourage you and present yourself professionally and I think you might be on to something good.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts