Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I recently posted up in the "New User Forum".

I added some questions about some bows I was interested in but thought I might get some more exposure here.

I stopped shooting archery about 16yrs ago and now that I have a 6yr old daughter were both starting back up.

With all the new technology I didn't know where to start so I grabbed a PSE as that was my first bow. The one I had years back I had since sold but it was a top of the line model costing me almost $800.00 setup at the time. Not doing a lot of research I decided to just grab the lower end PSE Stinger as it had some decent reviews.

Within a month I upgraded the rest to a Code Red Ripcord and the sight to a Truglo Micro Adjust. Now I'm thinking I'm going to upgrade the bow.

What I'm looking for is a bow I can hunt with a couple times a year but become very proficient with practicing 4 to 5 days a week and possibly competing in some 3-D shoots with my daughter if she takes enough of an interest.

Basically I'd like a bow that is as accurate as possible out to distance while still being hunting oriented.

As of todays date I've tried the following:

Hoyt Maxxis 31
Hoyt Maxxis 35
Hoyt Alphaburner
Bowtech Captain
Diamond Iceman
PSE Bowmadness
PSE X-Force Dream Season 09 Model
Matthews Z7

I really like all the Hoyt's but the Maxxis 35 fits me real well and I've been told it is probably the best for accuarcy in the Hoyt hunting bows.

I also liked the Matthews but after shooting the Maxxis 35 next to it, I just felt the Hoyt fit me a little better.

The PSE Dream Season was was also pretty nice but I liked the solid wall that the Hoyt and Matthews had over the PSE. The PSE although maybe not as smooth as a pull as the Matthew and Hoyt (although close) it was a lot easier to pull back maxxed out at 70lbs.

The Hoyt and the Matthews also seemed more accurate with less effort although this might have been due to the better sights and rest on them at the time. The solid wall the Hoyt and Matthews offered though seemed to help with the feel.

I know that everyone will say go for what feels the best but I still wouldn't mind some opinions about which you all might think best for accuarcy.

As soon as I have enough post I'll make a post with some youtube links to my 6yr old daughter shooting her Diamond Nuclear Ice. She's doing rather well and were both planning on checking out a 3-D shoot next weekend.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
well guy, they are all good bows. none of them are bad bows. honestly not one single bow will be more accurate than the other.

best thing to do, is go and shoot them. see which one feels the best. make sure the shop measures your actual draw length and fits you well and helps you get the bow tuned in.

the things to take in thought when buying a new bow, is what specs are you looking for? what is important to you?

speed?
weight?
length?
brace?

i personaly would want the maxxis or z7 if i was doing both, but if your a taller man you may want the maxxis 35.

#1 get the draw length right and you will be happy with any of those. they all are great.

·
Registered
7,538 Posts
Ifr you didn't like the pse wall, I'll bet it was not timed correctly. They need the string all the way down into the stops. At any rate, with todays technology, any of the bows you mentioned will serve your purpose. So shoot em all and buy what feels best to you. Everybody is different.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ifr you didn't like the pse wall, I'll bet it was not timed correctly. They need the string all the way down into the stops. At any rate, with todays technology, any of the bows you mentioned will serve your purpose. So shoot em all and buy what feels best to you. Everybody is different.
I would not be surprised if your right. The shop that had the PSE was very friendly and let me try several bows but they did not seem to be knowledgeable on the specifics of each bow. I think I knew the manufacturer listed specs of most the bows more compared to them as they kept telling me IBO's that were much higher. They also didn't seem to know which one's could and could not be adjusted for draw length.

I love the idea of the speed behind the PSE's and being that the only bows I have owned have been PSE's make for a hard decision but I think I'm leaning toward the Hoyt just based on how it felt.

Question concerning draw length on the Hoyt though.

On my PSE I have my draw length set at 28". Is the Hoyt #3 modules lowest setting 29"? I've been told by some it is and by others that it is 28". The reason I ask is that I've now shot a couple Maxxis 35's with #3 modules and the "A" setting on the module seems perfect for me. I've found one in the price range I'm looking for with a #3 module but I just want to be sure of it's settings and I'm curious if the #3 module lowest setting is in fact 29" is it common for the Hoyt's to run a bit different in draw length's then PSE's?

Thanks

·
Registered
7,538 Posts
I have no idea about hoyts draw length. But todays pse's seem to run about 5/8" longer than stated.If you end up looking at pse again. Go with an hf cammed bow. That's just an opinion, but it's MINE!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies after shooting the Maxxis 35 a few more times, I decided it was the bow for me. I'll also be buying it from a member, so joining this forum has really been benificial for me.

Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Just get it over with and buy a Carbon Matrix...if you dont you will always be wondering, should I have got one???? The answer is yes, I was out of it for 6 years shot alot of bows before I bought and nothing else compares. Of course nothing else much compares price wise either!!! You will not be dissappointed.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Just get it over with and buy a Carbon Matrix...if you dont you will always be wondering, should I have got one???? The answer is yes. I was out of it for 6 years, shot alot of bows before I bought and nothing else compares. Of course nothing else much compares price wise either!!! You will not be dissappointed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts