Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to a 900 round in N.H. this weekend and after the shoot was over, was informed that if you didn't live in their state you couldn't claim their championship even tho you had the highest score overall....I myself took second place, but feel the man that shot better than me being from N.Y., got ripped off of his bragging rights. We were told that first second and third place winners would recieve plaques in the mail since they were from N.Y., but the bragging rights for state championship were given to someone from N.H. That shot a lover score overall.
Am I being selfish for thinking this way or is this wrong?

runawaysXs:confused:

·
Archery Coach
23,291 Posts
the state champion is the guy with the best score from the state. Jason McKittrick often shoots in our Ohio shoots. He wins "Visitor" Gold. In Table tennis, there are two events-the US closed Championship, and the US Open. One is limited to world team eligible competitors, the other is for anyone.

I don't see a problem

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
I believe what was done is correct. Picture someone going around to every state championship and winning 50 titles in a year taking titles away from people in the state. State championships are for the residents of that state. Or how about the person who would go to another state just because there is less competition? It is just not fair. I think anyone who goes around and wins championships for multiple states is not right. I can see shooting an indoor in one state and outdoor in another, but not taking 2 or more indoor state titles.

It is normal to feel guilty accepting a plaque in this type of situation. I myself don't like taking awards if I had no competition, no matter what my score was. That shoot was to decide the BEST shooter in NH, not the best of the tournament. And that person is you! CONGRATS!

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did go to have fun shooting AND I DID that was the best
the competiton for me was the shooter that had the high score he is a very good friend and it did turn out that we shoot side by side so that was so coool i was in my own world trying to keep up to his shooting lol this tipe of competition keep me focused trying to keep tham in the middle

runawaysXs:D

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Champ is a champ

Who wants the title of state champ if they got schooled by some out of staters?

I shoot some out of state "state shoots", if I win you can bet I want the rights that go along with it.

Bottom line is this, If you are the only one from your state but there are 5 guests in your class.

And they all beat you, you are NOT the state champion.

·
Archery Coach
23,291 Posts
Who wants the title of state champ if they got schooled by some out of staters?

I shoot some out of state "state shoots", if I win you can bet I want the rights that go along with it.

Bottom line is this, If you are the only one from your state but there are 5 guests in your class.

And they all beat you, you are NOT the state champion.

really? So I guess that means no one but Dave Cousins or REo Wilde or Mary Zorn is truly the state champion in all 50 states because if they showed up the best guy in Kentucky, Michigan, California or Florida couldn't beat them?

I guess if I beat the top junior in my state (which I did) I should have gotten his gold medal rather than the silver one ? if geography doesn't matter why should age?

Ever wonder why big school athletes in individual event sports like Tennis and track don't compete at the same state championships as those from smaller schools? If you have more competition, you will get better.

Ever wonder why most of the guys on the US archery team at one time (1973-through about 1987) came from around Ohio? Because having Darrell Pace, Rick McKinney , Doug Brother, and Rod Baston in that area tending to make each of them better. Good shooters around you all the time make you better for several reasons

Our state will have 8-9 guys over 1100 at our state recurve. The top 3-4 would win in many states. In California -they probably have 4-5 over 1200. In Kentucky, Doug Denton is about the only 1200 shooter. If he were in California, I suspect his scores would be a bit higher.

If you show up and win you state title, its not your fault if others in your state don't beat you. You are the state champion and you have done all that you can to win rightfully

·
74,535 Posts
You are the state champion

If your the only registered person from the state then you are the state champion. I shoot in Arkansaw state indoor shoot as quest and wouldnt want a state championship from another state. Really shouldnt even be a question. Im from Oklahoma and proud of it. You should be proud you are your states best shooter for that day.

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Jim C

Whatever, you are the answer man!

Nice mentality.

It's just like shooting in a class with no comp, and winning year after year.

What does it mean? Nothing to me.

If I travel 3 hours to shoot another state championship and I am a member of the sanctioning body why shouldn't I be able to hold the title?

I know a shooter who has won his state in his class 7 times.
Why? Nobody else in his class can shoot, is he really that good?

I bet in some states he wouldn't even make the top five.

·
Archery Coach
23,291 Posts
being a state champion doesn't mean you are GOOD. It means you are best in your state or at least the best person in your state who bothered to show up!!! Nothing more nothing less. When I was in HS I ran a 1.58 half mile. That didn't even place in Ohio but would win in some states. I guess I should have asked my coach to let me run in the Maine state meet where I might have won. Maybe the big school friend of mine who got fourth in the big school meets should have argued he run in my division where he would have won.

Most states have visitor golds. That is good enough for Pan am Gold Medalist Jason Mckittrick when he shot a 1300 which was higher than the score Doug Pritchett took the state of Ohio championship with a couple years back

I also note that back in the heydays of the PAA-an "apprentice" couldn't be the PAA champion. At least a few times, an "apprentice" ( I think Rick White once for example) shot the highest score but wasn't given the Jacket.

If someone wins his/her state championship a dozen times because no one else shows up, don't blame the winner. Blame the state or its association for not having anyone else who is willing to compete.

My wife won the OAA recurve title. Her name was on the trophy before she shot since no other lady had bothered to qualify (shoot in a qualification event). She knew that US #4 Cindy Ruckman or US WT member Fuzzie Davis would beat her. Doesn't mean she didn't win. Not her fault they didn't show up.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Damnyankee, thats what Nationals are for. If you can earn bragging rights there, by all means get to it.
Is giving Brad Rega a hard time and busting on IBO not keeping you busy enough? LOL!!!:)

Sean

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Busting on the IBO?

Not busting on the IBO, just wondering why things are the way they are.

Brad Rega deserves what he gets.

And don't even get me started on Jim C.

If I had half his knowledge of table tennis....

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok if each state gave the title to the top shooter this woud bing out the top shooter in each state to defend there state if thay dont that title dont beloog there in that state and i for one am willing to go get me some title to help me grow in the archery world and bring out tham good shooter to keep there titles in there state bottom line is if they put it up thay need to give it up to the one who wins it

RUNAWAYSxS IS COMEING TO YOUR STATE SO GET THAM GOOD SHOOTER OUT :D

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
State Championship

runawayXs
Come on down to Pa, and shoot in the PSAA championship shoots !
We have 5 of them, Indoors at Harrisburg, (2 days), 3D at Lewistown, (1 day), Field / hunter at Mechanicsburg, (2 days) and Bowhunter/animal at Mechanicsburg,(2 days).
You have to be a PSAA member to shoot.
Lets see just how good you are !

My web site has all the shoot dates as well as the NFAA shoots and links.

http://home.earthlink.net/~baswb/archery/

·
Archery Coach
23,291 Posts
And don't even get me started on Jim C

want another shot at the title? You were clearly wrong on this issue so don't start the snide BS. State championships are for those who live in the state. Everyone else seems to understand that.

sheeesh. Guess what, if MIchele Frangilli comes to Reading Next year, he can't win the US title-only the visitors' title. Mary Zorn can't be the French champion either.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
so cool nice site have to get you on the plans

runawaysXs

·
Registered
392 Posts
broken arrow...

Keep your eyes open and your bows tuned,you have a new MAN comeing to your state,you just may see a few changes in who's who.>>--Skip-->(x) ps."PET"

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Jim C

I got your title.

My last reply to this post.

Is it written for every state somewhere? Rules?

Oh, and a Crossbow doesn't belong in Archery Season either.

·
Archery Coach
23,291 Posts
yawn-I still want to know why I couldn't run in the Maine state meet?

You know, I could have made most olympic teams as a skeet shooter in 1980. Why couldn't I represent Canada or Israel or Uganda?

I care not about your blatherings about crossbows., One day we will be deciding if you can hunt in OUR seasons.

:D :D :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts