Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can you kill a deer and bring it out in another state as long as im not hunting i dont see why not but i am no LEO...shoot deer in Va, closest way out is in Ky..both are national forest, no Kentucky license, only a Va license,,can i pack my deer out to the nearest rd in Ky and call a ride or go the way i came?

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
There are typically laws about transferring whole deer from state to state because they don't want to spread disease. Not sure of the laws in thosr states, but I'm guessing a game warden would frown on it. Or.... They may make an exception considering how close you are.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are typically laws about transferring whole deer from state to state because they don't want to spread disease. Not sure of the laws in thosr states, but I'm guessing a game warden would frown on it. Or.... They may make an exception considering how close you are.
prob not they dont make exceptions for much around here...i asked a game warden from a certain Va co about this last yr, and he was as lost as last yrs easter egg on the issue..finally told me well just call a ky gw

·
Registered
7,956 Posts
Yes tag once you shoot you'll have no problems! I hunt ks and travel to ok to process it and never any issues, I have land that is actually state line property

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
prob not they dont make exceptions for much around here...i asked a game warden from a certain Va co about this last yr, and he was as lost as last yrs easter egg on the issue..finally told me well just call a ky gw
I know when I fish the Ohio River, Kentucky will let you fish thier bank with just an Ohio license. Granted its not deer hunting, but they give you a little leeway in that scenario.

·
Banned
4,878 Posts
As long as it is taken legally and tagged then you're legal. Transporting illegally taken game across state lines on the other hand is a violation of the Lacy Act which is a big no no. Felony type no no.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you tag whatever you shoot then you're legal. Transporting illegally taken game across state lines on the other hand is a violation of the Lacy Act which is a big no no. Felony type no no.
oh it be tagged ...dont really even know why im asking this question i never shoot anything

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I would think it would be fine. People travel out of state for hunts all the time and take whole deer over state lines without issue.

·
Registered
13,600 Posts
ok say you shoot a deer on pa line but it runs a cross the Ohio line which tag should you use?

·
Registered
864 Posts
Virginia now has some strict laws about transporting deer due to CWD. Its in the game law book. From what I gather you would just be "passing through" Kentucky on your way back into VA. I wouldn't think it would be an issue, but I'm not a game warden.
The way it is written:
"Now that Virginia is considered a CWD positive state, deer hunters must follow carcass importation regulations in other states when they transport a deer carcass out of Virginia (see CWD Alliance website). Restrictions for nearby states are as follows:

Kentucky and North Carolina: Carcasses from anywhere in Virginia must be boned-out or quartered so the brain and spinal cord is removed."

·
Registered
726 Posts
I hunt on a state line. Transporting a tagged deer is no issue. However, recovering a deer that has run into the neigboring state requires a game warden from that state. I have also not stood along the road with a deer carcus in a neighboring state, you might get some strange looks. Best idea might be making the extra hike or calling the game warden in the event of a kill.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I hunt on a state line. Transporting a tagged deer is no issue. However, recovering a deer that has run into the neigboring state requires a game warden from that state. I have also not stood along the road with a deer carcus in a neighboring state, you might get some strange looks. Best idea might be making the extra hike or calling the game warden in the event of a kill.
haha i bet i would,,it would be in a pack i wouldn't have the carcus,at most the head and cape may be strapped to the pack,if i even bring the horns out, i know the law in Va is you have to pack out all 4 quarters,and proof of sex, but unless its going on the wall i just usally leave the head and horns behind,and put the testicles in a ziplock bag in case of any questions never had any issues tho with that part...

·
Registered
864 Posts
A Virginia game warden was working the border of West Virginia when he stumbled on a fox caught in a steel trap. He called up his buddy who was a West Virginia game warden and said "I got one of your West Virginia foxes caught in a trap here in Virginia." His buddy asks "How do you know it's one of ours?" Virginia GW replies "He has gnawed off 3 of his legs and he is still caught in the trap."

·
Registered
943 Posts
haha i bet i would,,it would be in a pack i wouldn't have the carcus,at most the head and cape may be strapped to the pack,if i even bring the horns out, i know the law in Va is you have to pack out all 4 quarters,and proof of sex, but unless its going on the wall i just usally leave the head and horns behind,and put the testicles in a ziplock bag in case of any questions never had any issues tho with that part...
Why not just shoot does if you arent even gonna take the rack? Better meat and it benefits the heard to take out the does. Id at least take it as a skull cap for the shed if its not worth mounting

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Why not just shoot does if you arent even gonna take the rack? Better meat and it benefits the heard to take out the does. Id at least take it as a skull cap for the shed if its not worth mounting
i would love to just shoot does, the county im talking about dont allow any does zero whatsoever after early archery..

·
Banned
4,878 Posts
A Virginia game warden was working the border of West Virginia when he stumbled on a fox caught in a steel trap. He called up his buddy who was a West Virginia game warden and said "I got one of your West Virginia foxes caught in a trap here in Virginia." His buddy asks "How do you know it's one of ours?" Virginia GW replies "He has gnawed off 3 of his legs and he is still caught in the trap."
:lol3:

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ha thats great

·
Registered
14,574 Posts
Yes tag once you shoot you'll have no problems! I hunt ks and travel to ok to process it and never any issues, I have land that is actually state line property
where do you get your deer processed? Occasionally i'll drive to tulsa when I'm hunting down in southern kansas and take one to Seigi's sausage or Rick's in Collinsville.

·
Registered
7,956 Posts
Went to pecks in Dewey, summer sausage was "eh" ,did a great job on the 5%ground and steaks. First time their. .

1 - 20 of 23 Posts