• magnus stinger 2blades

Votes: 29 58.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once again i am rethinkinking my set up.After reading the asby report i am thinking the 2blade stingers may be a better choice than the steelforce premium 4blades.My set up is a mathews Q2XL at 60lbs and a 25inch drawlength .I will be using Gold tip 3555xts weighing 313grains.Does anyone think the bleeders on the steelforce would impede penatration compared to the stingers?Both of these heads fly perfect from my set up so accuracy is not an issue.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I know for a fact that the bleeders will hinder penetration. They however will about double the amount of tissue damage. The trick is to maximize the amount of tissue damge while still getting plenty of penetration. My personal preference would be the Stingers, but keep in mind I am a big fan of Magnus heads in general.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Either one, depending on your philosophical approach with broadhead penetration.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I have nothing against the steelforce as I seen how well arkie did on a hog shot last year but I am a magnus fan so given those two choices only I would choose the magnus stingers!

·
Registered
916 Posts
Magnus

Magnus 2 bladed Journeyman or Stingers.
After these two I'd probably look at STOS, Modoc's and Zwickeys.
2 blade concept has been around alot longer than we have.

Hunt wise
Out for now
:cool:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
leaning toward the stingers

thats for the replies i'm leaning torward the stingers .Does anyone else have any input?

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
My buddy just shot a doe this morning with the steelforce...blew through her...she ran 40 yards and went down. He was pretty impressed. They are a great head and fly awesome!

·
Registered
11,651 Posts
Steel Force has 7 Inches of blade

Remember the Steel force ahs over 7 seven inches of slicing cutting BLADE as opposed to the sharp chopping of other blades

Thats why the Steel Force out penetrates most all heads on the market

I am shooting the 100 grain SF $ which hits better and harder and goes in deeper and makes a large hole to boot

TINK

·
Registered
657 Posts
Think penetration. I would choose either Steel Force or Magnus Stinger but 2 blade only. Again two blades only and you will be a winner!
Vodek

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
blood trails?

assuming a double lung pass thru shot ,the 4 blade hole would bleed out more, but if the 2 blade is almost always going to penatrate deeper ,arn't the odds for a pass thru shot better for the 2 blade from my set up "low ke".Along those lines it seems the 2blade is a better choice.Am i off base here?And yes i realize that with the small deer in N.C.it probably won't make much diffrence.But i want the quickest ,cleanest ,most humane kill possible,So i want to maximize the lethality of my set up any way i can.Also i don't object to animals dropping in sight and firehose bloodtrails provided by that doublelung pass thru shot.anyone else had experience with both types?thanks in advance

·
Registered
11,651 Posts
2 Blade Steel Force is Ideal for low KE

Scott Dead right PArtner

but with modern tackle most all hed penetrate anyway You logic is correct

but single blades can pass thru a deer without hittign a vital area

a flat broadhead can pass over the lungs and under the spine and not kil la deer if it was flat on impact

a 3 /4 blade will hit the dorsal artery and kill the deer

Late Dutch Wambold from Penna wrote a book and Illustrated the 8 slots that a single blade will pass thru and not kill a deer

Single blade are usually used on moose, elk. bison, buffalo,and African game

TINK:cool:

·
Registered
11,651 Posts
Cant aalways asume Lung Shots

When you bowhutn you cannot always count on lung shots Critters move when you twang at them with arrows

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
good point!

Good point TINK you can't assume perfect shot placement.So in your opinion the 2blades aren't nesacary for my set up?Again i'm shooting a Q2xl with 60lb limbs bottomed out "62lbs"?25inch draw length and 313grain goldtip xt arrows .Sorry i have not chronoed the new arrows so i don't know the exact KE number.If i had to guess i would say around 47 or 48ftlbs of KE,although it may be higher

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Very good discussion, especially what Tink said. Thanks.

·
Registered
11,651 Posts
For Scott

Scotty with your rig you wil blow thru anythign in North America Whoo the ehad you want

Good Luck

TINK

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
4 blade cutoncontact

Tink ,i will take that as a guy with way more hunting experience than i do saying go with the 4blader.With straight no wobbling arrows penatration should not be a problem.Thanks alot i'm going hunting saturday so maybe i can test the therory.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Don't know why I didn't think of this before, but why not use the 4 blade stingers? best of both worlds. Both are great heads, and as was already stated with your setup you should not have any problems with penetration with either head.

·
Fat Jesus
29,130 Posts
Well

I used 2 blade magnus 100gr. for a few years & loved em...Then I used the 100gr. Steelforce Sabers last year & they were OK too....Between the 2 I personally liked the Magnus better, But the Steelforces are some of the sharpest heads I ever saw straight out of the package....They both flew well for me but I think the Magnus flies a bit better & is a tougher head too...Only gripe with the Magnus head is that they are VERY dull or atleast they were a few years ago when I started useing em.....I had to really sharpen them alot to get any kind of an edge on em....I shot a small button buck last year with a Steelforce at 28yds. & really tore the head up alot not to hit any big bone like a shoulder or anything...I put a perfect quartering away shot on him & it never touched anything other than ribs & it messed the head up....Between the 2 I'd go Magnus if you can get em really sharp....

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
not buying more!

Ok guys i'm not buying anymore broadheads for a while so,out of these choices whicth would you shoot and why.i have it narrowed down to either steel force premium 100grain 4 blades or magnus stinger 100grain 2blades

1 - 20 of 30 Posts