Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of years ago I shot a nice buck with a steelhead 100 and a GT 55/75. I got a pass through but when I picked up the arrow the broadhead was missing. Upon skinning/examining the buck there were 3 blades i and out however the broadhead had unscrewed and was no where to be found. I rooted through the leaves for several minutes trying to find it. The threads on the Stelhead seemed to be very short and didn't engage many threads in my arrow. Has anyone else had any similar problems such as this and do the new heads have a longer threaded end? By the way I shot them to practice with one of the supplied washers between the shaft and the bh but when they opened they would damage the insert so i had to use two of the small washers.

·
Registered
359 Posts
You are not the only one my friend:)

Rocket must of really had to shorten the threads to get the 100 grns.

I have a pack that will not screw into any easton insert I own, let alone the GT insert.

Don't bother calling their "NO service" department either:mad:

They will blame it all on GT - Yet gt's "deeper than norm" inserts are well withen AMO standards and Rockets thread length is not even close to AMO.

One of my packs measures 1/2" from washer base to thread tip:eek:

Rocket let me down on this one

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
whenn i practice i use two washers but when i hunmt i use one. i have never had one do what your talking about but heck anything can happen at anytime and i am glad you got your animal. i have shot them for several years and not had that happen to me
rob k

·
Registered
812 Posts
I have been using the Steelheads for a while now with no problems in any way. And the no service department has always been very good to me. I have found no other head that will penetrate like the steelhead, including most fixed blade and cut on contact heads. I have used them on both aluminum and carbon arrows with no problems. I do not use Gt arrows so I
can not say anything about the insert/head problem with them,
but they work great on the PSE Carbon Force arrows that I use and did work great on 2313 aluminums that I did use before going to the carbon. I got a call one day about someone hearing of a problem with them screwing in inserts, so I took one of each insert that I had here in the store and they screwed into all of them with no problem

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just curious... Are you shooting helical left? Granted that steelhead have a short thread, it could have become unscrewed when your arrow hit the animal . If the arrow had a left spin which would have continued for 3 or 4 complete turns it could have undone the head.

Fisrt/last thing I do before nocking the killing arrow I make sure the head is screwed on tight.

Mikka (not an expert)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am using the GT arrows. I too noticed that the Steelheads only seem to engage about 2 threads. I was wondering if this was going to be a problem.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I just tried my first mechanical, a 100 gr Steelhead.

I've always heard that mechs fly the same as FPs, but I was skeptical. You could tell by looking at it that there was no way it could be as streamlined as an FP. A few shots proved this out: there was no noticeable differenc out to about 30 yds, but it dropped more after that. At 60 yds it hit about 6-8" lower than FPs. It also made a little more noise in flight than fixed BHs.

It also screwed up the insert. After 3-4 shots it left three cuts in the insert where the blades bottomed out against it. By shot no. 7 the back of the blades were digging into the carbon shaft itself. These heads should include some sort of washers lest customers start ruining arrows.

Bottom line: They fly pretty darn well, but you'll need to aim a little higher for longer shots. And use backup washers.

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
btm washers do come witht he rocket steelheads and wheni shoot a target or 3d animals iuse two washers and have never had had a rocket come apart and i do check htem before i shoot them to make sure they are all the same. i also buy extra washers as i use them on fixed blade broadheads also. using two washers would have to account for soemthign as i have never lost a head or blades i have bent a blade after a pass thru. just try using another washer when practicing and i use a little screwdriver that comes with the bh's or a wrench which ever yo like ot call it and they work just fine. a great bh and worth the money to get them
rob k

1 - 8 of 8 Posts