Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Looking to try the mechanicals this year on Wisconsin Whitetails. I've chosen Rocket Steelheads in 100grn. I have a Q2 with a trophy taker rest. I'm shooting 28 inch arrows from 60lbs 29"draw. The arrows are Gold tip 55/75 with 4" feathers. I'm getting 260 fps. I want to fletch up some new arrows for hunting and I'm looking for suggestions. I want to use 5" feathers or vanes to help with my accuracy. Any comments on 4" or 5". My jig is RH btw. Thanks

Chris

·
When's bow season start?
8,864 Posts
Shooting a mechanical b-head at 260 fps, I think you would be better served with 4" fletching. It will stabilize that head fine, with less speed loss than 5" vanes or feathers.

Brian

·
Registered
812 Posts
I would also go with 4 inch fletching, not that it would enhance the performance of the steelhead but a 5 inch is nto needed to
stabalize a head like the steelhead. I use them and use nothing more than 4 inch. I have yet to have a problem with the head and will continue to use them until some one can come out with a
better head. The steelhead performs perfectly for me every shot

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
I'd go with the 4" vanes with the steepest helical you can put on them. Since you have the drop-away rest you don't have to worry about clearance, and the helical will give you additional stabilization with little or no down-range speed penalty.

RH or LH helical makes no difference.

My helical arrows seem to retain more of their speed down range than equivalent offset fletch; I can't explain why, but the helical fletched arrows tend to hit a few inches higher at 40-50 yards.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
I agree with most,I would go with a 4 in.vane right helical.
Left helical is fine also,but your heads will work loose faster on a left helical.
My set-up with steelheads is 4deg.RH with 4 in.vanes, flys great.:)

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
I agree with everyone above, with mechanicals you don't need as much helical or offset, nor do you need the 5 inch vanes/feathers.

I shoot fixed blade and use 4 inch vanes. I have no idea as to degree offset, I just set the jig to have as much offset as possible on my carbon shafts while still allowing the vane base to sit fully on the shaft. I have no problems shooting fixed blades to the same spot as field points so mechanicals should be a breeze.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I agree with DENS228. My experience is limited, but I am shooting 4" vanes with as much offset as my Bitzenburger will allow and my arrows are flying great. My bow is tuned well and all broadheads fly good. Mechanicals will be no problem as they tend to fly like field points anyway.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TY

Thank you all.

When practicing with the mechanicals are you folks tying the blades with dental floss or some such so you can tune your setup to work perfectly with them? I've used Muzzy for so long now with the practice blades I haven't kept in touch with what others are using with mechanicals. Thought I would try them for myself this year.

Thanks again

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
When I practiced with Steelheads I used a 24 hour epoxy to cement the blades in a closed position. I no longer practice with them because they ALWAYS, ALLWAYS hit where my field points hit.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Dark Arrow, I'm shooting almost the same set-up. A Legacy at 285fps and I have found a 4inch feather fletched helical is just perfect with the Steelheads. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Re: TY

Dark Arrow said:
Thank you all.

When practicing with the mechanicals are you folks tying the blades with dental floss or some such so you can tune your setup to work perfectly with them? I've used Muzzy for so long now with the practice blades I haven't kept in touch with what others are using with mechanicals. Thought I would try them for myself this year.

Thanks again
I use the dental floss trick.But I only shoot them a couple times to check fliight.
:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts