Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never hear this name come up with a good hunting binocular. Anybody have a high end pair of these? I understand it's what our special forces teams use, please correct me if this is inaccurate, but that sells me right there. Are they more spendy than the popular brands?

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I have a pair of stiener 10 50 predators.I got a hell of a deal on them.Glad I did they are as good or better than anything out there,IMO

·
Retired GI "still serv'n"
13,960 Posts
I have quite a few models of Stieners and have used em for many years.....
Great glass, no compiants about em. I like em alot but, have to admit I have actually got'n into Vortex optics recently and buy them for my "civilian" pursuits since they are a lil more affordable.

·
hunter
8,143 Posts
I have a couple pair of Steiners and think highly of them. They are not any more expensive than the upper middle price range of other good quality binocs. Check this site for some good buys:

http://www.samplelist.com/

·
Retired GI "still serv'n"
13,960 Posts
I have a couple pair of Steiners and think highly of them. They are not any more expensive than the upper middle price range of other good quality binocs. Check this site for some good buys:

http://www.samplelist.com/
Awesome webstore right there. :wink:

·
Registered
346 Posts
Used them when I was in the Navy. Loved them then, and would love a pair now. Just can't afford them.

·
Banned
11,666 Posts
I bought a pair a few years ago. During a hunt I broke the eyepiece somehow- it was plastic. Sent them back. After they get them they tell me they don't make that part anymore. But for $100 I can upgrade to a new pair. So I do that and they send me a lesser bino of theirs that I can get anywhere for $150. Basically I threw most of the first $$ away.

I still have that pair but I'll never buy another of their products.

As a comparison I broke some other binos over the years. I just sent a Tasco pair back. They said the same thing on the part not available but they're sending me a new set for free. Pentax fixed their product for free. They have a no questions asked warranty.

Warranty is a big issue now for me on buying something. I see how they handle it before throwing $$ away.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Yep, I threw mine away

I bought a pair a few years ago. During a hunt I broke the eyepiece somehow- it was plastic. Sent them back. After they get them they tell me they don't make that part anymore. But for $100 I can upgrade to a new pair. So I do that and they send me a lesser bino of theirs that I can get anywhere for $150. Basically I threw most of the first $$ away.

I still have that pair but I'll never buy another of their products.

As a comparison I broke some other binos over the years. I just sent a Tasco pair back. They said the same thing on the part not available but they're sending me a new set for free. Pentax fixed their product for free. They have a no questions asked warranty.

Warranty is a big issue now for me on buying something. I see how they handle it before throwing $$ away.
Lots of cash down the drain.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've got the 10x42 Stiener predator binos (older version not the C2). I think they're outstanding glasses especially since they were only $500 on a closeout sale.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Just because the military uses them means nothing. Think of it this way, they'll buy the cheapest at some mil spec.

They're ok glass at best. For the same price you could buy Vortex that have a lifetime warranty no questions asked.

I prefer Zeiss, but good luck

·
Registered
143 Posts
Steiner

Used them in the military and liked them a lot. I have the predator 8x30s now and like them better than other comparably priced binoculars. Lots of personal preference in binocular selection.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
steiner

i have 12x40 steiner fernglaser firebirds awesome binocs, have red coated lens to cut out uv's still letting in plenty of light for perfect clairty. 10yds to infinity. i can pick out a bird on power line at 1000 yds. that is a good binoc. i like my nikons too. sure ziess and swarvorskis are good but they are over rated and over priced. my steniers were 700.00 each 2 pairs. and i have 4 pairs of nikons atb's, 2 compacts and 1 monarch and then another compact. as far as scopes like burris and nikon. burris has super good clairty, just as good as any nikon or zeiss.

·
Registered
27,052 Posts
I have the 8x42 Steiner Merlins and they have been great binoculars. For the price they were comparible to Leupolds and Nikons, but they are much better glass in my opinion, very clear

Where I bowhunt in WI, I can see up to 100-150 yards at best, so anything higher than 8 or maybe 10 power magnification is a waste in my mind. The other thing I like about the Merlins are the eyecups. They mold right around your eyes and do not allow any light in which is a plus because with my old Leupolds the excess light coming in from the sides would strain my eyes. I also like how steiners come with built in lens covers and that they are completely rubber coated.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I own 2 pair of Steiners, Predator 10x42 and Predator 8x32. I never had a problem with them and they are a must to have along with me when I am in the field.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts