Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I shoot with a Sterner-Duttera Claw peep, and it does help my aiming in low light conditions by letting me see more of the target's features, which I use as visual references. This is the side of the peep I see when drawing:
Bird Perching bird

Lately, I have noticed that the other side of the peep (far from my eye) has a rabbet:
Wood

Machining a rabbet adds to production costs, so the folks who invented the peep must have had a good reason to put it in. However, I could not find any info on this installation detail on the Sterner-Duttera website. I email'd the folks over at Sterner-Duttera and I'll relay their answer when I get it.

But now I wonder which side of the peep should face my eye -- the flat one or the rabbeted one? The reason I mounted the peep with its flat side facing me was because I thought it would show a visually sharper edge. However, when anchoring, the peep is tilted, and its edges appear blurred. Maybe I should just get my bow press, invert the peep, and see what effect it has on my aiming. But before I do, it would help to know how you string splitters fans out there have your rabbet'd peep mounted.

·
Registered
9,554 Posts
I'm pretty sure you have it on the correct way. I believe the cut out or rabbet is to give you a better view because of the angle the peep is at full draw. If the rabbet wasn't there or if you flipped it around it would cut off a little bit of your view at the top of the peep.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm pretty sure you have it on the correct way. I believe the cut out or rabbet is to give you a better view because of the angle the peep is at full draw. If the rabbet wasn't there or if you flipped it around it would cut off a little bit of your view at the top of the peep.
Thank you for you comment, but I am not sure I understand it: do you mean for the rabbet to be mounted toward me or away from me? Right now the peep is mounted with the rabbet away from me and, the way I interpret your comment, you seem to suggest that the rabbet should be toward me when I take the shot.

·
Registered
9,554 Posts
Thank you for you comment, but I am not sure I understand it: do you mean for the rabbet to be mounted toward me or away from me? Right now the peep is mounted with the rabbet away from me and, the way I interpret your comment, you seem to suggest that the rabbet should be toward me when I take the shot.
I was saying you had it right the first time, rabbet facing away from you. I was just guessing so don't take my word for it. If it's working better with it facing you then leave it be, it will work either way.

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
I was saying you had it right the first time, rabbet facing away from you. I was just guessing so don't take my word for it. If it's working better with it facing you then leave it be, it will work either way.
I would sat you are correct. Peep will be at an angle with the inside of the peep ( away from your face) and that top side edge will be lower then the side toward your eye. By having the “ rabbit” away from you, you only see one edge, the edge on your eye side. Hard to explain, but if you were to take it out and tip it you may be able to tell, then again maybe not. I shoot the string splitter and don’t have any problems.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I have no information for you but I do have a couple questions. Do you find this to be better than a traditional peep as far as how much light it lets in and field of view? Does it match up with the sight housing like a normal peep does?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have no information for you but I do have a couple questions. Do you find this to be better than a traditional peep as far as how much light it lets in and field of view? Does it match up with the sight housing like a normal peep does?
I do get more light in the Claw compared to a standard peep and see more of the target.
When I aim, I match up the top part of the sight housing (TR Volt 5-pins) with the Claw's (top) arch -- as width goes, the entire housing is visible through the Claw. If the Claw is a little rotated, I use the string as an extra reference for the top center of the housing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.