Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new here and have been shooting stickbows for the last 4 years. I've been thinking about getting a compound to shoot another 3-d division and just to try something new. The local shop has matthews, high country, hoyt, and PSE. Not to offend any hoyt shooters, I really like the matthews legacy and LX a bit better. My question is this, The matthews (and hoyt) are about $700. The shop can also order Martins. I liked the look of a scepter 3 but the price was high ($1100) is that what most of you see out there. I saw the cougar 3 for just under $500 in the edersbow catalog and would probably get it around that price. Support the local guy even if it's higher. Should I consider a cougar 3 magnum instead of the matthews. How comparable are they? any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
mkey....Welcome to the world of wheels....:D Your best bet would to be able to shoot the ones you are interested in....I have no info on the Cougar so I cant compare it to the Legacy or LX....;) ..But have fun trying to figure it out...And let us know what you decide on......:cool:

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Did the same thing myself mkey. I'm mostly a stickbow shooter. In fact I just ordered a new one today. I went with this one. Maybe you might find it interesting.

Check out: Firebrand Technologies Discovery Bows

~Scott

·
Banned
6,017 Posts
look into the Oneida bows:::kind of a wheel bow kind of a recurve::i call it a hybred::i own several and compared to my wheel bows there is nothing smoother/quiter or faster:very powerful unit for sure

Mike

·
Registered
102 Posts
If you're looking for a Martin 3D bow, the Cougar is more appropriate than the Scepter (it's a little less forgiving, but faster). I don't own a Mathews, but many of the 3D shooters I know use them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks, I'm going into the dallas area in a week and will try to find a martin to shoot. I may also change my mind on the hoyt vs mathews bit. It seems that mathews may have been content with their position in the industry and let off the quality just a touch. (according to my local proshop) Hoyt is trying to gain marketshare and therefore may be making everything to a higher standard. this is all just a possibility but I've seen it happen in other industries. (co.1 gets on top, relaxes a bit, co.2 bumps quality and takes over no.1 spot) I'd also like to check out the oneida and firebrands. More options. Thanks for all the input.

·
Registered
788 Posts
if you can try a cougar 3 with the X cams they really are worth every penny,hope you find the right bow and have some good shooting

1 - 7 of 7 Posts