Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my new Patriot a week now and still not happy with it.
After lengthening the draw and removing the string silencers, it was shooting 272 fps at 29" and 67lbs. Got a hold of a scale and my arrow weighs 414 grains. Now it's back down in the low 260's. All I did to it was adjust the rest a little for vane clearance. Nothing wrong with the chrono, checked it with others.
Called Bowtech and they wanted to know what the "birth certificate" said, I told them I didn't get one with the bow. They wanted to know what the sticker on the limb said, I told them it didn't have one. I asked the dealer for the cert but I never could get a straight answer.
I gave the person at Bowtech the serial # and they looked it up. The bow was shipped from the factory with 60lb limbs. I had wanted the 70lb.
They said they would call the dealer to see to see if maybe he had swapped
the 60lb limbs to 70lbs. He had.
Should 70lb limbs max out 67lbs?
Also I checked the tiller with both limb
bolts tight and it's 1/4" off. They say the bow performs best at it's peak weight and at even tiller. But I would have to loosen the top limb bolt a long
long way to get it even.
Something real fishy going on with this bow.
I wish I could just send it to Bowtech myself. But they said I have to go thru dealer. And he's 50 miles away and won't be back for a few day's.

·
washed up wannabe
12,235 Posts
It only takes 1/2 of a turn to move 1/4" of tiller on my bow.

Sounds like you have more of a dealer issue than a Bowtech issue.

·
Banned
4,304 Posts
Something does sound fishy, with the dealer. There is a sticker with the dealer's name on it when BowTech ships the bow. The birth cert would also show the peak draw weight. 70# limbs should hit 70 or slightly higher. The cable or string are probably not twisted right. Tiller should be measured on a line from axle to axle, not to the string. That may be the problem if you are measuring it incorrectly. If measured correctly and tiller is way off, have the riser checked. The shop had to press it to change the limbs. Lastly, losing 12 fps by adjusting the rest sounds odd.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did check the tiller with a string attached from axle to axle. It only moved a 1/16" with one full turn.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
bart, sounds like your cable length or string length(or both)
is not right.. call the tech department at bowtech and ask
them what to do after you measure the ata length .. you
may have to twist cables or string to reach a required
brace height for optimal performance of the bow.. the
factory can give you the specs you need.. this will probably
also give you the 70 lbs plus draw weight you're looking
for once these are correctly adjusted.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wonder if it's got the wrong string and cable since it originally had 60# limbs on it.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
No, string/cable should be same. But, I too think it's probably a timing/A2A length/spec. problem........Go to Bowtech site, download the manual, and get the timing specs, and A2A and all that, and make sure everything is EXACTLY to spec. first. A little bit can make a big difference. Also, Infinity, or Dually?

·
Banned
4,304 Posts
I don't think that should make a difference. The limbs are the same length, just a different deflection. You can't just flop the new limbs on without checking all measurements & making proper adjustments. Take it back & have the shop set the bow up correctly. They should be able to get you fixed up.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I Agree, Check the ATA length and timing !!

I can make my patriot change as much as 4 f.p.s. by twisting the cable 4 turns. If the A.T.A. is off, the poundage will be low. Every Bowtech I have scaled and chronographed has been right on the money with their charts. Their poundage has always been very close. 60 pound bows max out at 61-62 pounds, 70 pound bows max out at 71-72 pounds. 67 pounds is out there in never never land . The string and cable should be the same, no matter which limbs you use, but they could be untwisted enough to lower the poundage. Measuring the axle to axle length and checking the timing will tell you if that is the case.

Your arrow weight is also way too high. 414 grains is IBO weight for an 83 pound bow. At 67 pounds, you should be using a 335 grain arrow, if you want to compare it to their speed charts. From my experience you're probably losing 20-35 f.p.s. from that extra arrow weight !

My 60 pound Patriot shoots 294-296 with a 308 grain arrow. My 70 pound Patriot shot 294-298 with a 350 grain arrow. Both of these bows were set at 29" draw length.

If you have any questions on setting the Axle to axle length or setting the timing, feel free to PM me. I would be happy to help you in any way I can !!:)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The advertised A.T.A. is 33 3/4", mine is 1/8" over that. It looks like the timing is close though.
I was really expecting to at least be in the mid 270's with this arrow, compared to other bows with the same IBO rating that I've shot. And that was using a 125 tip. Now I'm using a 100 grain.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
If the dealer has done some swapping around on it, it's possible that it may have two different limb delfections (a 60 lb. and a 70 lb. limb) on it or maybe the wrong size or two different sizes limb rockers.

To get things straitened out, the bow needs to be taken back to the dealer and BowTech should be contacted by them.

Is the bow in question a 2002 or 2003 model? The 2003's have a cam with PATRIOT machined in them.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Different Dealer

I would go to the next closest dealer. Do NOT give him a hard time. He won't even know what is going on. Explain to him your situation, and that you would like to have the bow sent back. Then call Bowtech again and explain how upset you are that you had to go through all of this rig-a-marole just to get thier bow straightened out.

I would ask them to work a deal with the SECOND dealer to give you a bow off the shelf, and provide the dealer with a replacement, so that YOU can start shooting NOW.

Bo

·
Banned
4,304 Posts
An easy way for you to tell what year of the bow is by the grip. An 03 has a very slender grip. An 02 has a somewhat fatter grip with a thumb rest. I'm sure BowTech will lend a sympathetic ear but, remember the original selling dealer has created this problem, not BowTech. Good luck. I'm sure in the end you'll have a bow that pleases you.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
sounds fishy

There are too many strange things about that bow to make me think its a BowTech issue. The dealer played some games with that bow and didn't tell you the real story.
I'm also a BowTech dealer and they always come to the shop with a sticker that has my shop name on the top and bow info printed on it. Each bow also is shipped from the factory with a birth certificate. If the dealer didn't produce these items, he did something to the bow.

I agree with Bo Hunter, go to another dealer and get it straightened out. If you can't do that, call their 1-800 number and speak with them about the problem again. They are great to deal with.

Jon

·
Registered
450 Posts
Your dealer screwed you up, every BowTech bow has a spec. sticker on the lower limb with the draw weight, draw length, model and serial number on it with a dealer sticker also, and a birth certificate that shows the serial number, bow model, peak weight, draw length, arrow weight and the arrow speed. I'm not a dealer but i work on bows on the side, if you have 60 lbs limbs they should max out at about 61 or 62, i have 70 lbs limbs on my patriot dually and they max out at 71.5 lbs, whenever i work on a bow i ask the owner to bring the certificate with so know exactly what they have or what it is supposed to be, but it sounds like you got a rooting from the dealer if i was you i'd be all over him like a rash untill he fixed the problem.....good luck, Tony

·
Registered
925 Posts
Still Trouble

Sounds to me your beef is not with bowtech, but with the dealer. There is no need for a dealer to alter a new bow being sold and also he is supposed to make sure you receive all the documentation with the bow or send it back to bowtech before selling. I know this to be fact since I do work for a bowtech dealer in my area.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm taking you guys' advice and I'm going to another dealer. I hope they just send it back to the factory.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Bart.....What part of KS are you from? Have to talked to Dan Childs about it from Hutch? He's a almost only Bowtech dealer and knows his stuff. If you wanna talk to him, PM me and I'll get you contact info. He's in Hutch, and I'm about 10 miles West of Hutch.

·
Registered
9,862 Posts
If someone changed the limbs on the bow, look and make sure that the limb rockers were reinstalled in the limb pockets!!! There should be a small gap between the limb pocket and the limb at the limb/riser junction. You should be able to see a black nylon rocker between the pocket and the limb.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts