Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Tyler
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed the modules on my Alligeance to 1/2 inch shorter,trying to eliminate hitting my arm.But I still slap my arm from time to time.I dont have a digital camera to post a picture of my form and where I anchor,but I know my anchor should be right.I am between index knuckle and middle knuckle on my jawbone.I am anchored just in front of earlobe which should be fine right?Any suggestions would greatly be appreaciated.I do rotate my elbow out also trying to get it out of the road.
Tyler

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
how heavy is your arrow, how heavy is your bow?

Lighter arrows can sometimes do this.

You could try an STS.

In front of your earlobe, that sounds pretty far back.
You might be shooting too long a draw length.

·
Registered
36,982 Posts
sounds like your draw is too long and you are not bending your arm any

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
GreggWNY said:
3 letters.......STS = no more arm slap!
Good advice.

·
74,535 Posts
STS will solve the promblem

works great

·
Tyler
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sts legal on the 3d circuit?

Is the sts legal in Ibo,FCa and other sanctioned eveents?

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
I don't know, but if your draw length is incorrect, the STS is not the way to fix it. I will help, but you should make sure your DL is right first.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
For starters, the allegiance doesn't have modules, you gotta change the cams to change draw lengths. The most common reason for slapping your bowarm with the string is too long of a drawlength. Number two would be torque in the grip. STS will definately help you stop from slapping your arm, but you still need to focus on having the correct draw length and a torque free grip on the bow. Is there a pro shop near you that you could visit and have someone double check your draw length?

·
Tyler
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a 28.5 drawlength that has been checked at 2 proshops.I have my bows DL set at 27.5now so I dont know what is going on.One thing that is weird is that It happens more often with my handheld releases.but with my wrisatstrap release I am ancored behind my ear probably 1inch to1.5 further back than my handheld

·
Banned
126 Posts
How are you gripping you bow? All you fingers wrapped around the grip? If so then you need to change it. Do a search on grip and you should come with some pictures on how to grip the bow so that you are able to rotate you elbow outward. Also try opening you stance a little. Is the slap a full slap on the power stroke or is your are making contact after the shot and just catching the osculation of the string? After the shot happens to me once in a while.

·
Tyler
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My index finger is the only one around the bow.the other 3 are tucked in till I,m at full draw.I am not gripping the bow and not torguing the bow.Very few left/right misses

·
Registered
87 Posts
wabbithunter said:
I am ancored behind my ear probably 1inch to1.5 further back than my handheld

I'm no expert but 1" to 1.5" behind your ear ??? I'd almost guarantee your draw length is too long if you're anchoring somewhere 1-1.5" behind your ear. And like someone above mentioned...if you're D.L. is too long your surely going to get arm slap from over extending your arm.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
As far as the grip goes, the only thing touching should be the lower part of your thumb, nothing else. I like to have my other fingers relaxed around the grip, but not touching it. I see many guys who try to shoot with an open grip, but they have there other fingers out straight, which can still cause torque problems. Keep em relaxed, the only tension in your body should be between your shoulders, no where else.

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
Some bows just have a lot of string occilation...that is where the arm slap often originates. The Conquest was one that often stung me regardless of draw length or form. If you have watched the slow motion films of some bows being shot you will notice an often violent reaction of the string...it's amazing they all don't hit your arm. The STS definitely will stop the string slap.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts