Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out shed hunting today with no luck, found all kinds of fresh tree rubs but no sheds. I don't know if the region has to do with when the bucks shed, but i am getting impatient.

Also found this on my trail camera, this picture (along with a few more of each buck individually) were taken between Wednesday and Friday.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i was mostly surprised that the bucks still had their antlers. they tore up about 20 or so trees in the past few weeks based on how fresh the rubs look.

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
look at the base of the back deers right(our left)antler. is that a sticker or a piece of bark, you said they were still rubbing maybe you found who did it.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
that's pretty late, but the more i talk to people the more i hear them dropping their antlers later on, like early to mid april.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i looked at a different picture of him, it is a sticker, his body definately looks like he was a yearling last fall, he could be a shooter in a couple of years, only thing is the orange army would wipe him out this fall.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
when you guys walk for sheds, how fast do you generally walk??

do you walk 10 or 20 yds. then stop and look around?
do you walk at a steady/slow pace?
do you walk fast to cover more ground?

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
steady slow pace, but my problem was that the bucks still have the head gear, so only place to find the sheds is on their heads!!!

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
steady slow pace, but my problem was that the bucks still have the head gear, so only place to find the sheds is on their heads!!!
lol, where are you located?

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
that sure could explain why you're not finding bone on the ground - but if you keep it up, that will definitely change.
here the bucks have all dropped, but I recently have heard of several places where they're still packing.
earlier this week, I found 5, though only one was fresh - the other 4 were from last year or the year before.
keep up the search.

·
Registered
497 Posts
No luck in MN

I've gone out 3 times in the last 2 weeks, I live near Bemidji, MN and haven't found much. I found a few rubbed trees, and whats left of a really small fawn I'm guessing the coyotes got. No sheds yet though :sad:

Anyways, hang in there, I'm sure if you keep looking your bound to find somthing sooner or later.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
i found out i was looking in the wrong places,when i looked for sheds i always looked in the timber,the places where i last seen bucks,during the rut for instance,an old veteran told me i was wrong,where do whitetails spend the majority of there time? feeding and bedding,i found more antlers this year in food plots and grassy areas next to food sources than ever.it doesnt make since to me,but it worked.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i am from marshall, mn area i will be heading up to leech lake next weekend to shed hunt and work on my girlfriends brother-in-laws land for next years hunting season

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.