Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Vipe and Seymore - My intention is not to stir up controversy I just was stateing what I know to be true and what I believe in.

Using the loaded gun theory I never leave my guns or bows out where guests/others will be able to just pick them up at will. They are locked in a cool dry room in the basement. I ahave 5 strung bows down there right now. 3 recurves and two longbows.

Everyone has a pet theory on this subject as the old 'hunters myth' says, " a strung bow will loose power".

Truth is the good old days of traditional archery are RIGHT NOW and the bows being built are the best ever with most custom bowyers saying, "Leave it strung". Tests have proven there is no such thing as power loss even with bows that have been strung for 10+ years so power loss is a falicy.

Beyond all that I say do as you feel is best. If leaving your bow stung would keep you up at night then unstring it. I leave mine strung.

Bob Urban

·
Registered
21,069 Posts
Bushbow -

They are your bows, and you can certainly handle them anyway you like.

Notice that I never said that a strung bow will loose power (draw weight). Basically by keeping a bow stung you have created a "cocked spring". That "cocked spring" does have to be transported, and case or not, that can be risky. But, as I said it's your call.

As for the golden days of archery, that's another discussion. The bows today may be SLIGHTLY technologically better than the bows 30 years ago, but, I'm sorry, the craftsmanship, and just plain style has been lost.

Look at bows like the Hoyt Pro Medalists, Bear Tamerlanes, Pearson Soverigns, Wing Presentations, Damon Howatts etc. That was style, and the great thing about them, will normal care, they shoot as well today, as they did 30 years ago, I know, I still shoot them. Only thing was, back then, we didn't call it traditional archery, it was just ARCHERY.

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Everybody is entitled to his opinion, Bob, and I meant nothing personal in disputing your advice to others but I think it's important to note Viper's criticism seriously.

You yourself admit there might be a problem stringing and unstringing a bow frequently. Why is that? Viper hinted something about it when he said he doesn't use the step through method. That method in particular has been blamed for distorting bow limbs on modern laminated bows.

Now, if that's possible, even though the twist is only momentary, then leaving a bow strung indefinitely can have an effect as well sooner or later. No material is perfectly elastic.

Bowyers nowadays typically warrant their bows for one to two years maximum. That ought to tell you what they really think.

I've often left bows strung for several days to stretch strings, so I know you're right that it probably doesn't hurt anything, at least in the short term but I'd be reluctant to practice it in the long term primarily because it is as Viper indicated a cocked spring.

If your string fails on an unstrung bow you probably won't notice it until you try to string the bow but if it fails on a strung bow you'll hear about it pretty much immediately if you're within earshot. When that happens I'd rather have the bow in hand rather than hanging somewhere. It might do little damage or a lot to the bow, the storage venue or anyone who happens to be nearby, but it won't do any damage if the bow's stored unstrung.

However, you can do as you please. The information is offered for whatever it's worth to you and again no disrespect of your opinions is intended. It's offered for your consideration as was my original post on the issue.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Having a pro shop I keep the bows strung so people can draw them. I had a concern over how long I could leave them that way. I called Martin archery and was told the biggest cause of defect in a bow was due to incorrect stringing of a bow so yes with the new materials you can leave a bow strung for several months or longer without a problem. They said they had a bow strung for several years and it had not lost more than a oz of draw weight. So I keep the bows strung from june thru nov. By the way always use a good stringer for your bows, the one that comes with martin bows is a excellent choice.

·
Registered
21,069 Posts
SOB -

I never said that there would be significant draw loss, just the "cocked spring" principle, is a little unnerving. If you have that kind of suoervision in you shop, great, please send me your address, (I'm in LI, NY), the shops I'm usually in, that would be scarry.

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
I had a buddy who had his bow in the bedroom and it was strung. In the middle of the night the string blew and the bow hit his wife in the head as it came off the wall. Needless the bow rack has been moved...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts