Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for the great idea to swap out the factory bolts for stainless. I need to go to another hardware store, because mine didn't have a couple of the sizes, but she's looking good so far.

Bill

Attachments

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
Looking good.

What grade of stainless steel did you get? Not all are the same in strength, ductility, harness, and machinability.

There's a reason besides cost savings that companies use carbon steel hardware.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My dad is a machinist. Says they are very strong. 304 stainless. He called them 18/8

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I'm hunting in conditions where I need anything stronger, you better call the paramedics, LOL

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Are you using anti-seize on the threads ? Stainless steel galls real bad sometimes.

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
My dad is a machinist. Says they are very strong. 304 stainless. He called them 18/8
You are smart to have asked your dad. There is some butter soft so-called "stainless" out there that will gall and deform easily. It has excessive ductility and poor strength.

Your stuff looks very nice

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are you using anti-seize on the threads ? Stainless steel galls real bad sometimes.
Yes sir. Don't want to screw up the aluminum threads on the riser or sight.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You are smart to have asked your dad. There is some butter soft so-called "stainless" out there that will gall and deform easily. It has excessive ductility and poor strength.

Your stuff looks very nice
He's my go to on anything related to bolts or fasteners. He started as a tool and die maker, now runs his own precision machine shop. Saved my butt several times when I got into jams working on my car.

·
Registered
14,338 Posts
I have been using stainless for years on my bows and have never had one problem...

·
Registered
1,573 Posts

304 stainless steel is the most commonly produced type of stainless steel. It's not the strongest, but is perfect for small screws etc. The majority of what I weld at work is 304 and the better 316L.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
304 stainless steel is the most commonly produced type of stainless steel. It's not the strongest, but is perfect for small screws etc. The majority of what I weld at work is 304 and the better 316L.
Pretty much what my dad said. If I were trying to put together a heavy piece of machinery or something, then I may need something stronger. In the case of a sight, there are multiple stainless steel screws, all holding together a piece of aluminum that only weighs a few ounces. He bet me that the sight would give before those screws would give way.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts