Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I constantly check eBay and the AT classifieds for deals pretty much year round. One thing I have noticed just in the past couple of weeks is the number of bows advertised on eBay with Ridiculously WRONG specs and even wrong bow names and models! I'm talking WAY OFF!

Like someone listing a PSE XF SS UF(Omen Cam) as a PSE X FORCE SUPER SHORT SS BOW 50-60LB XF CAM. and in the description, it reads, "XF CAM CURRENTLY SET AT 28 INCH DRAW CAN BE ADJUSTED FROM 25-31 INCHES WITH OUT BOW PRESS". When you look at the photos, it clearly has UF cams on it! So there is NO WAY the draw length is adjustable with, or without a bow press!

This just seams like a red flag to me! I have seen several listings on ebay THIS week like this. One listing was for an X-Force SS GX that was advertised as a "PSE x-Force SS Omen Pro 70# 29" draw". The bow clearly had 2009 GX cams on it. The description included the following information(copied and pasted from the listing): chrono a 528 grain arrow at 311 feet per second .. solid back wall and a 6 inch brace(these bows have 7" brace heights). I sent the seller a message letting him know that his description was wrong, but he was very defiant. He eventually changed his title and description to correct the inaccuracies, including changing the brace height to 7".

So, are some people actually this lost when it comes to actually knowing what they have??? Or could this be tale tale signs that people are selling something they know nothing about because it actually belongs to someone else? I can see getting a little information messed up, but some of these listings look very suspicious. For all I know, these mistakes may not be mistakes at all! If a thief were smart, they would probably intentionally mis-name the model so that it would not show up in a model specific search results! I've also seen lots of very nice name brand bows with the simple title of "COMPOUND BOW"! Who the heck would list a $900 bow as simply "Compound Bow"??? So if you are searching ebay for your stolen bow, and you are entering the exact model name, cams, etc, you might just barely be missing your bow in the search! Just saying!

What do you guys think? Suspicious or just folks that don't know much about what they have?

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Man, i dunno. I see a lot too, and the sellers have awesome feedback. Its weird.
One of the sellers' feedback I am talking about wasn't so good. Several Negative feedbacks with buyers calling him DISHONEST. But a thief would not necessarily have bad feedback. And a thief would not have to be the one listing it! Maybe it's his buddy or his buddy's girl friend, etc, listing it for them. That would explain the good feedback.

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
Sometimes ebay sellers are pawn shop owners and sell a variety of things they know nothing about
This is spot on, a lot of sellers are indeed re sellers with no archery experience. Also, youd be surprised how many people have no clue what year and model bow they have.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
A little of both...

1. General ignorance of exact specs or names (they just know how to shoot it, not categorize it).

2. Sellers just selling stuff, have no knowledge of the product itself.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
a bunch of people with good feedback got it from selling tons of little things, they drive up their feedback rating fast by selling 300 + items that are all dollar store value things.

then they begin selling stuff they often find on garagesales etc.. at higher prices.

A lot of the times they find a bow etc, know very little about archery, do 1 min of google on the bow they have, slap the info they find on their ad on ebay.

Thats my impression of the "honest" sellers ive come across. it also usually shows in them wanting a lot more for a 5 year old item then its really worth

·
BIG FRANK....
8,511 Posts
They"re was a guy on E-Bay selling a bunch of PSE limbs,that were unmatched limbs...Or selling one limb...I explained to him what he had too do matching up the numbers, and he told me that makes sense, he was actually pretty understanding about it..

Op I understand what your saying about these people..They have no clue about archery what's so ever.....You see them saying this is a right handed bow when it's a left handed Bow...

·
Registered
51,147 Posts
I agree resellers for the most part. But having worked in a pro shop for sometime now you would be surprised just how many people out there own bows and haven't the first clue what they are shooting, how it adjusts if it can and what arrow and weight they are shooting. These people don't care as long as they can hit what they are aiming at.
People on this site tend to forget how very small of a community AT is compared to the actual archers out there. There is a lot of knowledge here(some good some not so good) but 8 out of 10 archers that come in the shop have never heard of this site. Hence my harp on newbies not to buy used off the net, they do not have the knowledge to buy wisely.

·
Registered
10,111 Posts
Had a guy come into the shop with a Hoyt Oasis he paid $700 for on CL.
The guy told him it cost $1700.
I looked it up on EBay and they are selling for $150.
Craig's list is a sellers paradise if the buyer doesn't know what he's doing.

·
Hoyt Nation Life Member
15,077 Posts
My favorite of them all...

"Very good condition Hoyt bow. Model XT2000."

I just keep scrolling.

·
Registered
8,837 Posts
with the poularity of the various "picker" shows on TV. there are allot of people doing this, as a part time money maker or hobby. allot of the stuff you see advertised on E-bay and craigslist are exactly those people's adds.
if they find a deal, it doesn't really matter what the item is, it's not hard to do a little searching on the net to find where the best place to sell whatever they made that "good pick" on. they're not really interested in knowing about the item, ...all they want to do is make a profit on it and move on to the next pick.
Dale's advice above could not be more spot-on !.

·
Registered
8,470 Posts
Some people just dont know .A guy I work with bought 3 bows and a couple doz arrows at a yard sale .
He brought me the best of the 3 bows ,he had bought for his doughter .It's an old PSE with 4 strands of the string broken ,it's also 30" draw 60-70 lb's .He wanted to know if I could back it down as she is only 15 years old and cant draw it back .
I told him that the first thing it needs is a new home .It's not the right bow for her and not safe to shoot ,and not worth the price of a new string .As far as his doughter goes .I'm sure if some one has a 30" draw it would be an ok bow with a new string for a starter bow .

I told him the best thing he could do is have a yard sale and pass it on .I also tryed telling him if he wanted a bow for her that I would help him out .By measuring her draw and looking for a bow that might work .

·
Registered
909 Posts
Craigslist is terrible when it comes to overpricing and incorrect information. Biggest mistake I see people make is telling people their 60-70lb bow adjusts from 40-70lb because they don't understand the spec sheet. Also people who are selling bows with specific cams or modules saying they adjust from 26-30" without press. Biggest thing that makes me mad though are they people you are trying to buy stuff off of screwing you around and wasting your time. I had a guy lead me on for three days even though I told him I would pay his full asking price then he just stopped talking to me out of the blue. Come to find out he is a member here on AT and had his ad on here as well saying he sold the bow 2 days before I contacted him. Very disappointed in people like that.

·
Kicking like Van Damme
2,716 Posts
I follow a few local buy sell and trade groups on Facebook. Yesterday someone listed a 2012 Hoyt rampage for 350. I thought that's not right but didn't think anymore about it. Looked on local sheriffs page today and they were talking about a guy that listed a stolen Hoyt bow on Fb. I guess they messaged the guy to buy it and they met him and busted him. He stole the bow sometime back they got him on that and a whole bunch of other stuff at his house.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Most likely family members listing stuff for other people that have no idea what it is. That or people are just plan dumb.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Craigslist is terrible when it comes to overpricing and incorrect information. Biggest mistake I see people make is telling people their 60-70lb bow adjusts from 40-70lb because they don't understand the spec sheet. Also people who are selling bows with specific cams or modules saying they adjust from 26-30" without press. Biggest thing that makes me mad though are they people you are trying to buy stuff off of screwing you around and wasting your time. I had a guy lead me on for three days even though I told him I would pay his full asking price then he just stopped talking to me out of the blue. Come to find out he is a member here on AT and had his ad on here as well saying he sold the bow 2 days before I contacted him. Very disappointed in people like that.
I've seen people here on AT recommend listing on CL to sellers of some of the older bows "because buyers there don't know as much about bows and will pay higher prices". I actually read one of those quotes here on AT this weekend. I've seen some pretty ridiculous prices on CL, but I've also gotten a really good deal on a bow at CL too. But I hardly ever go there anymore because 99% of the prices are way high.

I guess you might be able to take advantage of a listing where there are so many mistakes in the listing if it doesn't draw the buyer traffic in like it would if the information were correct. I've seen some of the terribly described bows go really cheap for what they were in the photos. I guess most folks are afraid they will receive a bow other than the one in the photos. But that's where PayPal and eBay would come in. You can't have a photo of an entirely different item in your eBay listing. I've had to use PayPal to get my money back several times and they have not failed me yet. But I make sure to only buy items on eBay where it says, "Get the item you ordered or get your money back".

·
Shootin and Cussin
24,127 Posts
Sometimes ebay sellers are pawn shop owners and sell a variety of things they know nothing about
Or just small business folks. I just bought some PVC things from a person that is not a plumber.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts