Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Get your REAR-ENDS back out there and keep searching till you find it. And if you don't, call your buddy's and search again. And if you still don't find it keep it to yourself. I think these IDIOTS are proud they hit something and have to post about it. They are not looking for help or they would have posted before they went out to mame animals. I absolutely despise seeing these posts. I check this forum to see success photos or read about great hunts people go on. STOP POSTING YAA got blood today, ran after the deer but didn't get it. Searched for 30 minutes what did I do wrong....???? What their really saying is I shook so bad on that DOE that I couldn't tell where I hit her but I'll certainly run home to my computer and tell everyone about what an idiot I am!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
when my 10 year old reads these posts and tells me it's OK to just keep shooting them till you get one it sickens me.

STOP POSTING THIS CRAP.

·
Banned
1,519 Posts
I have to agree to some point, you would not think that people would rush to post there mistakes on the board.

NOW if you are looking for help that is diffrent, bad shots happen and if you are looking for tips for tracking the animal you can get that info here.

But as much as people preach practice here I just cant understand why so many bad shot are being made. I dont think that people should just pick up there bow and shoot and animal. Weeks of tuning and practice are nessary for a ethical hunt.

When do you give up looking for your deer, NEVER you shot it you have a responsibilty to find it.

·
Registered
249 Posts
NEVER stop looking.

Nicely put. Well said NEver stop looking until the animal is found. It is the hunter's responsibility to follow through to the end. The shot is just the start of the action. Not the end.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Excellent Post John ! Chit Happens,but they need to keep it to themselves,UNLESS they feel that their mistake could help someone else avoid it.Never give up on a Blood Trail,untill you've exausted all resources,BUt it still happen's,so except it and move on!It will make us as a group,better in the end.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
The Point

Guys, The main point here is which no one has mentioned......Is that there are congressman and other government officials that would like to put hunting to an end. So the more bad reports we post on here the more fuel they have. If you dont find your deer, dont talk about it on a big forum like this one.

·
Registered
921 Posts
JOHN

AMEN...NOT SAYING THE ONES WHO POSTED ON HERE ARE LIKE THIS...BUT TO MANY TIMES YOU SEE THE WEEKEND BOW WARRIORS DO THIS OVER AND OVER. ARCHERY HUNTING ISNT JUST A WEEKEND THING YOU HAVE TO PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE YEAR ROUND.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
My biggest buck

Spun at the shot, causing the hit to be too far back, and only got one lung, exited the brisket. We looked from 7 AM till dark, could not find him.:( The arrow was covered in blood, I knew he was dead somewhere. We flagged the trail off good as we went, and came back early the next morning. We actually "jumped" him out of bed, 27 hours after the shot, he ran off, no blood, tracked him very slowly for about another hour, found him in some trees laying down, crept in and shot him again, this time broadside, through the heart. He didn't go far.:D Just don't EVER GIVE UP! I could have easily "lost" that one, but I didn't. You shot it, you find it! NEVER QUIT LOOKING TILL' YOU DO!

·
Registered
10,661 Posts
A caveat on never stop looking until you find the animal - -

Not all deer that are shot die.

They are tough animals that can take a whole lot more punishment than us two legged animals can.

Now a person should make every humanly possible effort to find the deer, but some deer are not going to be found because they are alive and recovering.

NOW- I do agree with this STOP POSTING. The Animal rights Freaks cruise these boards looking for ammunition and you can very well believe they will take any words we type, twist them around to fit their own agendas and then beat us over the head with them.

IMHO...

·
Registered
171 Posts
Willie ill have to agree with you on that. i seen just 4 days ago a doe that had what looked and appeared to be it insides hanging out of it body. have you mind that its not season on the day i seen this deer. it appeared to be healthy and able to move around good. but she will not be around much longer as i will and shall put her down for good .

BUT YOU MUST TAKE ON THE RESPONSIABILTY OF EVERY EFFORT TO LOOK AND RETRIEVE YOUR QUIERY NO MATTER WHAT.

ALSO WHAT IS TO SAY THAT THE PERSON IS NOT OUT LOOKING I THINK THAT EVERYONE THAT HAS LOST A DEER SHOULD HELP OTHERS TO RECOVER A LOST QUIERY.. AS AN EXAMPLE I LOST A DEER ABOUT 15 YEARS AGO AND I LOOKED FOR 2 DAYS FROM MORNING TO NIGHT I KEPT COMING TO A LAKE AND IT WAS ALL POINTING TO THE LAKE AND I FOUND THE DEER IN THE LAKE ABOUT 20 FEET OUT JUST THE RIBS SHOWING. SO ITS NOT ALL IN VAIN. I LEARNED A LEASON AND HOPEFULLLY CAN HELP OTHERS.

IF ANYONE SAYS THEY HAVENT LOST OR SHOT A DEER THAT WAS HARD TRACKING THEN THEY NEED NOT PUT ANYONE FOR THEIR LOSE, JUST KEEP LOOKING FOR YOUR QUIRY AND GIVE 100% IN FINDING IT YOU WILL.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Screw the Animal Rights Freaks. Just like you said there freaks. There going to find something one way or the other. I think it's correct not to give up. First mature buck I killed I looked for probably 8 hrs before I found him. He had wadded up in under a fall down and I had to walk right up on him.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Rocket:

"Guys, The main point here is which no one has mentioned......Is that there are congressman and other government officials that would like to put hunting to an end. So the more bad reports we post on here the more fuel they have. If you dont find your deer, dont talk about it on a big forum like this one."

Perhaps I stand alone in my own point here, but I don't believe in only highlighting the goods to my actions and not the bads. I haven't posted on here regarding any bad shots made...but I certaintly wouldn't ask someone not to because of the above mentioned "point".

ARA oriented goverment officials and the like can kiss my ass honestly. All of the posts on here, good and bad, are an accurate reflection of hunting and what happens while hunting. On the same token, I don't feel anyone is posting here regarding a bad shot as if to BRAG about it. They are posting because they are seeking advice on either what they did wrong or what they should do next...simply because they do not know.

Granted it is their responsibility to know, but it is also our responsibility as fellow hunters to help them out and teach them...at least in my opinion.

If they never posted such threads on here, perhaps they'd keep it all to themselves and never learn from their mistakes but keep making them.

So hide the truth to mask a given reality of hunting and appease the ARA "freaks"...or be realistic, acknowledge the truth, and genuinely try to help a fellow bowhunter?

I prefer the latter...but again...that's just me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Bowhunter NJ, Your absolutely correct. How are new people to the sport going to learn from there mistakes if they don't have some kind of database to go by. Some get into it too quick don't practice enough don't research it enough whatever. I didn't start with the bow until I was 17 but I had gun hunted before that. I had to learn a lot of things the hard way. Yeah maybe beginners are a little naive about a lot of aspects of bow hunting, but just give them time to grow, don't judge them to hard and be supportive.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I'm not sure calling these folks, "idiots" is an appropriate post either. We agree to not flame fellow posters, when we sign up to these forums.

On the other hand, I agree that they shouldn't be putting this stuff up here for the world to see. It would be best if they said something to the effect that, "suppose this senerio happened, ... what would you do? " People need to think carefully when hunting as well as when posting.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
I agree BowhunterNJ, if you can't ask for help here with your fellow hunters,where can you go???
No one was the perfect hunter on his first or second trip to the field.
Lets keep in mind we are here to help "each other"out with problems,not push away when were needed...
The anti's are going to say what they want no matter what is posted here, who gives a **** what they say we said, their going to make it out to be "bad' no matter what it is....

·
Registered
445 Posts
I have to agree that posting about loosing a deer is many times in poor taste, and makes us, as bowhunters, look irresponsible. I would not want to discourage comments on how to become a better tracker, and I hope people learn from their mistakes, but seeing a subject like - "I gut shot a big one, but he got away!" or "I don't know where the arrow hit, but it was bleeding!" - just don't indicate ethical shooting, and/or hunting ability.
I, personally, never release an arrow unless I'm 100% sure it's going to hit exactly where I want it to, and I don't take less than "perfect" shots. Even with those personal policies, I've lost a couple, but thankfully they were complete misses! An unseen twig, and the wrong sight pin:eek: accounted for those two. Sure I pass up a lot of shots, but if they live they will be around to hunt tomorrow! And if I do wound one, you can bet I will not give up easily, or advertise the fact that I lost one!

·
Registered
15,176 Posts
QUIT WINNING AND GO HUNT! Man......You guys can sit around and peck on that keyboard and talk crap! Lead by example! I'm allready sick of hearing it!
Hee Hee! J/K....I am fortunate I have not had to track a deer very far-25 yard tops. I guess I'm lucky!(now that I've opened my mouth......) Have patience......take a good clean shot!
I have posted a thread on tracking...check it out!

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
wabi said:
I have to agree that posting about loosing a deer is many times in poor taste, and makes us, as bowhunters, look irresponsible. I would not want to discourage comments on how to become a better tracker, and I hope people learn from their mistakes, but seeing a subject like - "I gut shot a big one, but he got away!" or "I don't know where the arrow hit, but it was bleeding!" - just don't indicate ethical shooting, and/or hunting ability.
I, personally, never release an arrow unless I'm 100% sure it's going to hit exactly where I want it to, and I don't take less than "perfect" shots. Even with those personal policies, I've lost a couple, but thankfully they were complete misses! An unseen twig, and the wrong sight pin:eek: accounted for those two. Sure I pass up a lot of shots, but if they live they will be around to hunt tomorrow! And if I do wound one, you can bet I will not give up easily, or advertise the fact that I lost one!
I agree with you here, people with the mentality to just shoot and then worry where they hit have no business hunting..

There are several things that can go wrong on a "perfect shot" to.
If a deer flinches or moves at all, so much for the perfect hit.

It's not always a new hunter that wounds a deer and don't find it right away, anyone can do it,as with everything else it depends on the situation, .

Although I'd rather see the threads that says "I got him", I won't knock someone for asking help on tracking.If their asking, then that tells me they are already concerned and want to find their deer.The guy who keeps quiet and moves on and says "maybe next time" is the one that pisses me off more...

This forum answers thousands of questions a year on "bowhunting" and unfortunately a lost deer is part of "bowhunting" sometimes.I feel we should be glad to help any way we can......Just my .02 cents....

1 - 20 of 33 Posts